• Register
  • Help

Topic: URGENT - Problem reprogramming GOS

Share/Bookmark

URGENT - Problem reprogramming GOS

I don't know whether anyone out there still uses the old GOS in Gigastudio, but I love it and use it in my live rig. This is the only place I could think of to ask this question, and I really need to sort it out for an important gig this weekend, so any help gratefully received...

I'm playing the "Full Strings Lite" patch, so I can play whole section parts easily live. I'm using the keyswitched instrument to switch between legato and staccato samples. So far so good.

Problem: The staccato samples (I think the instrument is actually called "marcato") only go up to C6, and I need them to go up to the E above that. No problem, think I: I just fire up the Giga editor, select the keyswitched instrument, select the third keyswitched dimension (the staccato one),delete the silent region that occupies the space above C6, and drag the region including C6 to also include the next four notes. Done this loads of times in various libraries to get round range issues.

Now here's what happens: When I play from the on-screen keyboard, everything's fine, the patch has extended itself by four notes and I can play up to the E.

But when I play from my MIDI keyboard, the sound still stops at C! The on-screen keyboard still lights up, and the C#-E are being received by Giga OK, but GOS makes no sound.

Any ideas what's going on? It's like there some kind of note-range filter in the GOS patch itself, separate from the simple limitation of the range of the samples. What really confuses me is that this filter (if that's what it is) only filters out notes played in from an external source, not those played on-screen in Giga.

HELP!

Re: URGENT - Problem reprogramming GOS

Unfortunately, I do not have GOS (or Gigastudio). BUT. . . have you checked your keyboard?? In the past, I've either purposefully or accidentally "re-programmed" the note-range on the keyboard. Maybe the note range (or key range) on the keyboard controller that you use has been altered in some way?? Just a thought. . . .

I know that there are knowledgeable GOS users here who are also quite helpful. Good luck to you. . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Did you extend all of the velocities for the marcato samples? I believe there were 4 velocity layers for those. It's possible that your keyboard is triggering the velocity range you extended. I don't remember anything that would filter note input in the programming.

Jim

Interesting thread. I didn't know you could do that.

I need timpani to go an octave higher, is there a way make instruments in the Kontakt player do that?

...or if not, did the GOS/Giga have timpani in it?

Leaf,

You need the full version of Kontakt to extend the ranges. GOS for Giga was a string section only library.

Jim

Thanks everyone.

efiebke - it's not the keyboard. This is the same keyboard I use for all duties, triggering all kinds of sounds in Giga and elsewhere, and the problem only happens on this patch, after making this alteration. Also, the lights on the Giga keyboard do light up when I'm playing the MIDI keyboard, indicating that the MIDI is getting through to Giga OK, but Giga (or GOS) is doing something screwy with it.

Haydn - I didn't need to extend each velocity range separately. I simply grabbed the highest region and pulled the right hand border over to make it cover a few more notes - so the velocity splits and mapping at E6, say, is exactly the same as it was orginally at C6.

When playing on Giga's onscreen keyboard, this gives the same result as performing this tweak has already given me with other libraries: the samples that were originally mapped to C6 get stretched and used with pitch-stretching up to E6. But like I said, for some bizarre reason they don't sound (although the lights come on!) when played from the external keyboard.

Pity noone seems to know what's going on. It's certainly an odd one.

Thanks for the info Haydn!

Sorry for the diversion Ouch, i hope someone can find a solution to this.

I simply open the patches I use from GOS in Kontakt, some even in Samplelord.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

You may want to call Gary Garritan. See if he can ask Tom Hopkins how to do this. Tom was the programmer for GOS.

Jim

Go Back to forum