• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need a new hard drive?

Share/Bookmark

Need a new hard drive?

Then you might NOT want to consider this. The DRM issue rears it head again.

From the BBC

One of the world's largest hard disk manufacturers has blocked its customers from sharing online their media files that are stored on networked drives.

Western Digital says the decision to block sharing of music and audio files is an anti-piracy effort.

The ban operates regardless of whether the files are copy-protected, or a user's own home-produced content.

Digital activists say it is the latest step in a so-called war on copyright theft that is damaging consumer rights.

Re: Need a new hard drive?

Hmmm. If the blocking is based on file extension such as "wav" or "mp3" then it's trivial to circumvent protection by simply changing the file extension to something else before transferring the file to your friend and then having your friend change the file extension back again. It wouldn't take long for peer-to-peer file sharing programs to implement that workaround automatically.

For that matter, you could probably get around it by zipping the file first, then it wouldn't look like an audio file.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

or by buying from another manufacturer.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

How does it know when it is legal and when it is ilegal file sharing, it just blocks all of it?

I hope they go out of business!

And what if it's Your Own file - such as we post here. Will it now allow us to up/down our own copyrighted material? I'm on the anti-piracy side of things, but this is just getting ridiculous...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan
    The ban operates regardless of whether the files are copy-protected, or a user's own home-produced content.
    That's what got me, includes your own material as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The BBC
    Western Digital has blocked users from sharing more than 30 different file types, if they are using the company's software, called Anywhere Access.

It seems like they only block sharing if you use their own sharing/networking program. Or does this run as the unchangeable firmware management system on their ethernet-only drives?
    Tony?

Ludicrous, that's what it is. It's appeasement to some 800-pound gorrilla, which is only going to make a lot of lawful people angry, including those who just want to play their legally purchased music. For us music makers it's going to render us stark-raving mad! And the pirates will get around it very easily, through archiving, as Gary suggested, or file fragmentation and reassembly. Heck, even renaming it to .txt might work!

I'll be watching how they implement this closely. Depending on how it works, WD may have just lost a customer.

I agree, it's just plain crazy!

The reason we don't have a big problem with lots of people going around hitting other people over the heads with baseball bats, is because they put people in prison for that, not because they put tracking devices and tiny cameras in baseball bats. That would be ridiculous and so is this.

So we enter an age where consumers rights are sacrificed for those who "Matter." I swear, next they'll put tracking devices into clothes to stop people from sharing those.
    And it only says it stops sharing on networked drives, which would mean like a home network, like one drive that all computers in that network can access. So, my question is how does it stop piracy, like uploading to limewire or something like that?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Wow, an idea... let's put all the wealthy people in JAIL right now! It reduces the risk of them being robbed! Darn, I am a genius. I wonder if I could get a job at WD?

Go Back to forum