• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Led Zeppelin (from the O2) field report...

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up My Led Zeppelin (from the O2) field report...

Hello NorthernSounds friends!

I did my best to keep my excitement about this event subdued because it didn’t feel right about creating too many expectations. Consider: It could have been a limited set as the accompanying artists were anything but trivial… and Led Zeppelin’s previous cameos since breaking up were, in Mr. Plant’s words, atrocious. So tempering expectation was my contemplation as I sat in a proper British queue in bloody cold weather to pick-up my ticket the evening prior (the security around this event is a story in and of itself). But alas, the O2 is in LONDON so liquid therapy was available to combat the elements. Fast forward to the gig…

My intrepidation was furthered in the opening seconds of “Good Times Bad Times”. As you may have read, microphone feedback plagued Robert Plant as he assumed the position, and the band honestly appeared a little dazed and confused… BUT about a minute into the opening number, this incredible energy took over like afterburners on a jet… no joke. The body language changed, the mix was dialed in, and they didn’t stop to refuel for two of the most unforgettable hours I’ve ever experienced.

Honestly, I can’t bring myself to write a detailed “play by play” that many of my friends requested because I now realize that, for me, last night was about an opportunity to release emotions I’ve harbored for way too many years (waiting for THIS to FINALLY happen). I also believe that’s what it was about for the band as well… coming full circle. Beyond virtuosic musicianship, Led Zeppelin conveyed tremendous humility and moving expression throughout their performance… They not only played for the audience, but for one another, and of course, Ahmet. Most touching of all was the emotion expressed to and from Jason Bonham – nuf said.

For those still insistent on the details, here’s the most accurate review I’ve read thus far: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...m_david_fricke

A proper bookend came in the form of an unexpected, but highly appreciated, invitation to the “after party”. Open bar until 4A --- and for that reason, that portion of my field report will remain off-the-record…

The announcement of a worldwide tour appears imminent. My suggestion: GO

Thanks for letting me share!

Re: My Led Zeppelin (from the O2) field report...

Good report, Fastonkeys.
    I was a fan when i was into R&R. Glad to hear Robert Plant and friends are still doing well after all these years and that the concert went well. That must have been great to see them in London! I think in the news today was that they are coming to New York.

also with Bic lighter in air
    David

I just checked Youtube... and this is what they had to say:

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Music Group

I wish the video was still up at YouTube. I'm curious to hear if they still possess sufficient testosterone.

I caught them in 69 at the Seattle Center Coliseum.

Adrian,

Lucky you! What an experience and one you'll never forget. The impact Led Zeppeling has had on popular music cannot be overstated. From the reports in the media, this seemed like the concert of the decade.

Do tell about your field report sometime Inquiring minds want to know

Gary

Thanks Gary! By field report, are you inquiring about the after party happenings??? I would tell, except I can't seem to remember much!

So, which songs did you like the performance best on fastonkeys? I remember seeing them in 1971 or 72, during the 4 sticks release... Mostly, I remember the crowd rushing the stage, Plant trying to get them off the stage nicely... They did "Stairway to Heaven" well, at that time, a new song...

Hmmm... I'll preface that I really enjoyed all of them, but if forced to say which was the "one"... I'd probably say:

Best Overall: Kashmir - especially the way the song was introduced by Robert Plant --- uber coolness... "There are people from 50 countries here in tonight's audience... <pause> ... this is the 51st country... BOOM

Followed by (it's just so damn hard to pick one)!

Most Moving: Stairway to Heaven

Most Musically: Daze & Confused, Trampled Underfoot, Nobody's Fault but Mine

Most Fun: Rock & Roll

I was lucky enough to see Zepp at Knebworth in 1979 (with Bonzo of course). If they performed at the O2 even HALF as well as they did at Knebworth then it would truely be a memorable gig.

I have been an ardant fan of LZ since my sister played me their first album in 1970.

What a band!!!

Hey, I'm glad that they did Rock 'n Roll and stairway to heaven... Dazed and confused must have been something, with the violin bow and all... Kashmir is a country?? I thought Kashmir was a sweater?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastonkeys
    Hmmm... I'll preface that I really enjoyed all of them, but if forced to say which was the "one"... I'd probably say:

Best Overall: Kashmir - especially the way the song was introduced by Robert Plant --- uber coolness... "There are people from 50 countries here in tonight's audience... <pause> ... this is the 51st country... BOOM

Followed by (it's just so damn hard to pick one)!

Most Moving: Stairway to Heaven

Most Musically: Daze & Confused, Trampled Underfoot, Nobody's Fault but Mine

Most Fun: Rock & Roll

Go Back to forum