• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2008?

Finale 2008?

Being a student still (PhD... hehe. even at 30 years old) I can get the discounted version of Finale, which can be used commercially (I know, I checked).

What I was wondering is this:

1. Student version of Finale 2008 is the same with the normal version? Or is missing some sounds, maybe?
    2. Finale 2008 comes with GPO. This GPO is 1.6 GB, which I would imagine that it would be a reduced version of GPO, right?
    3. All academic stores I found (I found one with $219 which is a steal) are in the USA, so don't know if I can buy (don't think they ship). Would it be legal to ship it to someone and get it here? I am a student after all. Or possible can someone provide a link to a UK based academic store, please?

Thank you for your time!

Re: Finale 2008?

The short answer for 1 and 2 is yes and yes. The GPO included with finale has some modifications that make articulations, smart shapes, etc. work better.

As for 3, I don't know of any academic retailers outside of the US, but someone here might. Alternatively, If you know someone here in the states you might be able to have it shipped to them, and then have them ship it to you. Most the academic stores don't really check where you are shipping to as long as you can prove you are a student. I typically order from Academic Superstore and they have never had a problem with me shipping to my home in NY despite my current address being in NC.

Hope this helps.

Timothy Rolls, DMA
    Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition/Technology
    Fort Hays State University

Perth, Western Australia

Personally I would suggest going for Finale. Playback using HP is far superior to any other scoring package out there.
    While Fin2k8 has a cut down version of GPO included, it fully supports full GPO (using the .9 notation set) and also fully supports all other Garritan Libraries.

Doing a quick Google search spat out this http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/product...roducts_id/220

I'm sure that there are many others. Trying to buy from the US might be a go, it could prove to be cheaper.

Daz :0)

Just so you know:
    the student discount does not require that you purchase it from a store.
    You CAN purchase Finale online directly from MakeMusic and still get the Academic Version. It only requires that you print out a form which you get filled out at your institution (well, it USED to be that way, now they may simply require the institution's "licence" or something).

However, if you already have an older version of Finale, there is no academic discount for upgrades. The upgrade price is the same whether it is for the "academic" or "commercial" versions (it's the same programme, there is no difference. I got version 3.1 a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago with the Academic pricing, and there is no difference in the licence. Since that time, I've been paying the normal upgrade price, which is pretty cheap.)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmonkeyboy
    Since you are studying in the UK, I would consider Sibelius as well.

I just crossgraded to Sibelius and find it a very workable product. Finale2008a is giving me problems on Leopard and is a processor drain, but I will ramp up on Sibelius and use it as well...too many good features to talk about, and too few use to comment further. Download the demo.
    To reply rather fast:

Nope. I love Finale, don't like Sibelius... Thanks though.

Makemusic.com has $350 set price for the academic version, while from ABBAACA or something, I found it $219! quite a difference. Academic prices in the UK are around £200 (=$400) which is definately a nono in my books, unless I find something else.

Thanks for the info so far and the link guys.

What do you know?

No Finale for me really...

I went to pick up my kids from the nursery and right outside the nursery my car had broken (smashed rather) back windscreen. That is £60 to fix (with the insurance company included and only paying the excess). That is $120. 1/2 of the finale price.

Ah well... And life seemed so nice for a moment there...

Not that I'm actually too hassled but it is rather annoying!

Hello Nikolas,

When I bought my Finale 2008 upgrade, I ordered it direct online from Make Music. Even with the shipping cost it turned out still cheaper than buying it here in the UK.

Sorry to hear you've had to shelve your Finale plans. Here's hoping you find another opportunity when you win the lottery
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I did ask Santa for Finale, with very precise guidline on where to get it! I do want to get Finale finaly (see? I made a pun )

Not everything is lost.

In the meanwhile this is my opportunity to rant:

Why would anybody do that? Nothing to steal, no cd player, no sat nav, car is old 12 years old. It was just for fun I reckon. Weeee... the fun!

Look, the kids seats show in the back.

Perth, Western Australia

That is just so awful :0(

Some people have a strange idea of what is fun.
    A person I know told me that he used to enjoy throwing broken spark plugs at bus shelters (they used to have glass sides a while back) just to see the glass shatter or craze. I've never understood it myself.

I really hope that Santa is kind to you this Christmas.

Daz :0)

Wow, that sucks....
    Your car, not the Finale part.
    Anyway, I just checked the Finale website and they will ship outside the U.S. I bought my copy of 08 from them when I gave them my old Sib 3 Educational disk (It only cost $200 bucks, and I already had my copies of Sib 4 & 5).

Edit: Finale says these programs (Sibelius, Encore, Rhapsody, Overture, Cubase Score, Score, Mosaic, MusicPrinter Plus, Musicator, Nightingale, Notion and FreeStyle) will work for the crossgrade. If you can pick up an old copy of one of these programs off of ebay, you should be able to get the $200 crossgrade for Finale. All you need to do to get it send in a master disk.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Go Back to forum