• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music for Holocaust DVD

Music for Holocaust DVD

Hello all.

As I mentioned in the General Discussion. My music will soon be featured on a documentary DVD about the holocaust. So I thought I would post a link to the main piece I will be using.

Granted this is a not-yet-dvd-worthy rendering. Advice will be appreciated.

Re: Music for Holocaust DVD

Hearty congratulations on the Holocaust project, Matthew.

The composition is richly dramatic, somber, with wonderful angst filled tensions. I admire it tremendously. It seems to me it could only be perfectly suitable for the visuals it will be coupled with.

You said this particular mix isn't "dvd worthy" yet - So do you mean you're trying to develop a separate audio-only mix? The video production already has your music laid into the soundtrack at this point, right?

Only one thing struck me as not quite right - the triangle seemed extremely loud in proportion to the orchestra. The volume seemed too much, the reverb too little - on that one instrument.

Thanks for letting us hear this. It must have been a difficult project, having to focus on such a horrific subject for the duration.

Randy B.

Very somber and moving. What is the significance if any, of 109581?

Just one observation. Somtimes there seems to be a lot going on in the center and not as much on the outsides, A minor thing at best.

The first time the triangle dings, seems okay, the next couple are a bit loud.

Congrats on the project. It's obvious that you have the skills required to make this work great.

A very dramatic score underscoring suffering, etc.

I would like to see the film with this film score applied
    to really be able to appreciate the significance of your
    work. I congratulate you for such an undertaking as
    the Holocaust is, first of all, not easy to deal with, and
    secondly, there are so many variables in the suffering
    that you must encompass in a score of this nature.

Maybe we can see part of the film later........I would
    like that.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Shelton, Washington State

It sounds like a good match for the subject. The words I come up with to describe the over-all feel of the music is dramatically stark.

It sounds very good to me.

I imagine it was not a pleasant experience but spiritually rewarding.

Thanks guys.

The triangle is definately too loud. I'll take care of that.
    No significance of the number: just the host sites serial no. it assigned the file.

And I hate bursting everyone's bubble, but....the piece was sorta written first and then the DVD guys decided to use it. It wasn't specifically written about the holocaust .

But it was written to express great tragedy, which must be why the writers felt it was appropriate.

And don't worry Jack, I will make sure everyone here gets a look at the completed project.

Oh, boy. Drama. Good stuff, but the quality of the wave file is not as good as I expected from you. In my ears it sounds as if you used the equalizer a lot. Now those dark sounds at the beginning sound strange, not from celli and certainly not from violas (right ear).

Is it over-compressed?

Nevertheless, a wonderful composition!!! Whatever the outcome of the DVD will be, this is a great piece of music.

Wow - Now I'm depressed! That's a compliment - Music is the flower of feeling - right!? Such a sad, dark piece from someone of young (ish) years! Well done! At first I thought it took a long time to go somewhere but as it went on sooo gradually, I understood better.

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this, Matthew;
    I've been running far behind on my listening due to
    real life...

The Holocaust is a subject of enduring interest to
    me; one of the darkest episodes in our history, it inflicted
    unimagineable suffering on millions of innocents... for
    "reasons" and under circumstances that will both perplex
    and horrify us all for centuries to come.

And yet... out of it came great beauty and inspiration
    in the astonishing strength and endurance of the Jewish

Matthew, music of this kind, which reflects and, in some
    ways, explains that spirit and strength through the
    greatest suffering and adversity is a noble endeavor
    of itself... one that reminds us not only of the darkness,
    but also of the light.

Thank you for this.

All my best,

Wilton, NH

Sorry I came so late to this – I missed it when it was originally posted.

This is very somber and moving – I understand why the people making the DVD wanted to use this. It isn’t simple and the feelings run deep. I was expecting it to kind of whimper out and was surprised when it intensified near the end - one last surge before falling into darkness...

As with the others, I’d really like to see how this is incorporated into the film.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum