• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga and Sonar....

Share/Bookmark

Giga and Sonar....

I have been using Gigastudio and Sonar together but have been getting very poor midi response(midi dropouts- no audio). I have all audio on 1 harddrive, and a comp w/ a pent4 1.8ghz processor and 512MB of RAM. Its true that I have alot of material but not so much as to cause polyphony problems w/ giga- giga polyphony should maxout before sonar stops or has choppy playback right? The dropouts are directly related to the amount of notes I have or how many fast/ sustained notes. I have called tech support 5/6 times and they dont know the first thing about how to is this. I have changed every audio setting in Sonar they asked me to and tryed some others too, have dedicated soundcard channels for both giga and sonar (no conflicts), Have checked the irq to make sure that my video card is on a seperate channel, done all standard comp. audio optimizations. One time recently (although not the last time) someone at Sonar said that GIGA\'s drivers had poor midi response w/ Sonar and they were seeing this alot. They told me to download midi yoke drivers and use them instead. I did but it only made things worse if there was any change at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible I was using the drivers incorrectly (seems straight forward as can be, and worked-but was no better)? Does anyone have a sucessful setup where they can stream whatever midi they want off of Sonar assuming GIGA\'s polyphony is ok? Thanks in advance, sorry for the long-winded post,
    drg [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Giga and Sonar....

Based on past threads like this, I think it\'s fair to assume you have 2 paths to take to try to resolve this \"problem\".

a) You spend ALOT of time, picking at your machine, disabling things, upgrading the hard drive, drivers, tweaking Gigastudio, Sonar, etc, etc, etc, etc. until finally you have it working, good, most of the time, but not perfect all of the time.

b) You spend another $1000.00 (or less!) on another machine and dedicate GigaStudio to that computer and treat it like an external sound module. Problem solved instantly! Plus now you can add DXi instruments to Sonar now that you\'ve freed up a bunch of cpu time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I chose \"b\"....

Ahh, I see. So its not my fault. Most people run Giga and sequencer on seperate computers.... Considering the specs I gave earlier, does anyone see this setup as feasible on a single computer? (not that I dont believe you munsie, just want a second opinion in case someone has it working and knows something i don\'t....)

I thought it was just me, and that my new 2Ghz XP machine with dedicated audio drive & 768 MB RAM needed optimizing. But even after donwloading v6.03 drivers for my echo Layla 24 card (I thought, \"maybe it\'s the beta MIDI drivers...)the problem remains--single-note melodies are low-latency but chords are ragged. Chord voicing is (very) perceptibly \"clumpy\".

And it\'s channel-specific. 18 channels playing polyphonic stuff is fine. Chordal SEQUENCING is fine. However!

Latency for \"live\" chordal stuff is almost unplayable and affects how I lay in new tracks.

Sequencer playback \"dropouts\" were solved by slightly increasing the latency setting at Options|Audio|Mixing Latency. I also followed TASCAM\'s guidelines for PC optimization (\"Optimizing Windows 2000 and Windows XP for Audio\", available at the Nemesys website), and still,...

ARGHHH! I don\'t want to have to quantize EVERYTHING to make up for this!!!

Originally posted by drg:
    I have been using Gigastudio and Sonar together but have been getting very poor midi response(midi dropouts- no audio). I have all audio on 1 harddrive, and a comp w/ a pent4 1.8ghz processor and 512MB of RAM. Its true that I have alot of material but not so much as to cause polyphony problems w/ giga- giga polyphony should maxout before sonar stops or has choppy playback right? The dropouts are directly related to the amount of notes I have or how many fast/ sustained notes. I have called tech support 5/6 times and they dont know the first thing about how to is this. I have changed every audio setting in Sonar they asked me to and tryed some others too, have dedicated soundcard channels for both giga and sonar (no conflicts), Have checked the irq to make sure that my video card is on a seperate channel, done all standard comp. audio optimizations. One time recently (although not the last time) someone at Sonar said that GIGA\'s drivers had poor midi response w/ Sonar and they were seeing this alot. They told me to download midi yoke drivers and use them instead. I did but it only made things worse if there was any change at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible I was using the drivers incorrectly (seems straight forward as can be, and worked-but was no better)? Does anyone have a sucessful setup where they can stream whatever midi they want off of Sonar assuming GIGA\'s polyphony is ok? Thanks in advance, sorry for the long-winded post,
    drg [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Same problem here. I have found out that I don\'t have the problem with dropouts if I use the .66 drivers for my echo card. But if I turn up the latency on the 6.03 driver the dropouts stop too. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

What OS are you using? I\'m running Giga and Sonar on the same machine - P3 733 with 512 MB without any latency. I have 2 audio drives which may help. I\'m using Win XP Pro with the .66 Echo drivers for my Darla 24. It is possible to run both on one machine. BTW, I don\'t pops or clicks and get full polyphony.

I am using win 2000 and have a mia sound card. I have just downloaded the .66 drivers.... Mabye
    this will fix it. Thanks,
    drg

I think the .66 drivers really helped. thanks to everyone that posted,

drg

DRG, I dont know how to solve your problem but i know is possible. I had a PII 450 Mhz, with only one HD (5200 rpm, 6.4G), and i was able to run Cakewalk PA 9 and GS 160 at the same time, i use a MONA card and didnt have any problems.
    As someone mentioned before i had to go to the TASCAM site to optimize the OS. Now I have a new system and still runs perfect. So I cant tell you exactly how to do it, but it really is possible. (Unless the problem is SONAR)

Daniel

I use an internal GS with Sonar on a 1.5 ghz system (running at 1.33 ghz presently), and I have and external dedicated GS system. All my music has been made on this setup. I use the internal GS long before I ever turn on the external system, and I have no latency problems at all: actually no major problems at all. I did not use tricks or optimizations or anything, just a basic install. I am using an Echo Mia. I think the difference here is, and thanks for giving me yet another reason not to upgrade, is XP or 2000. I will not give up WinSE unless I absolutly have to. The installed systems will keep WinSE forever.

Go Back to forum