• Register
  • Help

Topic: using MIDI and playing it

Share/Bookmark

Question using MIDI and playing it

confused am i. have been doing my music using full GPO, putting in ritards, etc. and assigning dynamics using mp, p, ff, etc.
    i would like to have more control over the sound - all the possibiites between 0 and 127. in reading, it talks about using the midi tool, and scale, set to, absolute, etc at bar or note level within the bar.
    can you use midi to do these things if you set up your instruments from the gpo? i was hoping to do that, and to playback with the kontakt player on the screen so i could check the modwheel changing along withthe sound dynamics.
    i have NO midi device like a keyboard. i enter the notes etc and playback through a BOSE. when really done, the file becomes mp3 and goes into iTunes, from where i put it onto a cd. when i tried to play back the midi test i did on violin, the sound - very low comes through the internal speakers in my Pro Quad and does not go to the BOSE. obviously, i must not be set up correctly.
    ofcourse, if i cannot use the gpo instruments to govern sound dynamics through the midi, it probably isn't worth it.
    anybody got any wondeful ideas for me? all thoughts are very appreciated
    ding

Re: using MIDI and playing it

Hi Herman,
    Be sure that you are not leaving out any info that would be useful to those who could help solve the problem.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "i enter the notes etc and playback through a BOSE." What all are you using with GPO to get a score or sound file?

Are you using Finale and are you using hyperscribe tool to input notes or simple entry? Or some sequencer/daw like Sonar, Logic, etc.?

One more thing, if you are using Finale, make sure the human playback is on, because that is what will interpret the dynamics and expressions and make those be realized in the playback.

thank you david for answering.
    a BOSE is a stereo system that the playback sounds come through to listen to. it is much better sound than listening to anything through the Mac Quad internal speakers.

I am using finale2008a simple entry, sometimes speedy entry. NEVER hyperscribe, because i have no midikeyboard. i have no sequencers or such stuff. just finale2008a with full GPO. In using the MIDI tool to control sound dynamics, on page 141 of the finale tutoriaql under 'the midi tool', it instructed me as follows - 'for human playback stye, choose none', so i turned it off per these instructions. do you feel this is incorrect?

i was able to hear what i had done by choosing numbers for the sound dynamics instead of the expressions like mp, p, etc. - but i had to save my file as an .mp3 and go play it through iTunes - much harder than being able to playback instantly.

david, do you - or any other person reading the post - have any idea of how to playback instantly any music done with the midi tool without having to convert to a format that can play in iTunes?

all advice and suggestions are welcome.
    ding

Ding,

There are some settings in Finale's Human Playback that you can adjust. You don't have to turn HP off. Under "midi data" (continuous data) you can choose:
    1. HP only, ignore midi data
    2. HP and incorporate midi data
    3. No HP effect, midi data only

I think #2 is the one you want if you've done any editing with the midi tool. This option adds your midi editing to HP's interpretation.

You shouldn't have to export this file into iTunes just to listen to it. You should be able to listen in Finale as always, through the computer's speakers. If you want to listen on your Bose, you'll probably need to go to the trouble of creating an audio file for this purpose.

You can also create extra dynamic markings for the in-between dynamics. For example "mf" has a velocity of 75 and "f" is set to 88. You could create a "mf+" set to 79 and "mf++" at 84.

When live performers play a piece marked "f'", no two players will play the exact same volume. It's all relative to their own perspective and judgement. Having all dynamics perfectly the same sounds too perfect.

Hi Herman,

I see now what you mean. Unfortunately i don't have any experience using the midi tool to control the dynamics in Finale, instead of the HP.

I need to get into that and learn it though.

I think there is some way to connect your computer's output to your Bose system's Aux input (with the right wires), and this would accomplish that (direct playback without converting to mp3)... i think. Because that just makes your Bose the final amplifier of your computer's output.

But maybe someone who knows for sure can post a recommendation, i wouldn't try without knowing for sure that it can't mess up the computer... or the bose.

Thumbs up Re: using MIDI and playing it

thank you both - jeff and david
    will try these HP suggestions. the reason i have been trying to control sound dynamics via MIDI is that in using HP and expressions like mp, this week i had put in pp for the viola in a section after a long number of bars in which theviola did not play. also, the cello the same say. neither would play at the pp level. they stayed at the prior level bars before. i checked the modwheel in kontakt2 and it was at something like 123 for both - they have previously been playing very loud, but bars before. nothing i coud do would cause them to play at pp. so, i thought maybe i should try tocontrol dynamics through the 0 to 127 midi numbers.
    thanks guys to both of you.
    ding

Go Back to forum