• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Share Resources from a Mac G4 and G5

Share/Bookmark

OT: Share Resources from a Mac G4 and G5

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have a Mac G4 and a G5. I would like to be able to hook these computers together so I can use the hard drives and the processer on the G4 from the G5. Essentially, I'd like to make them a "super-computer". Does that make sense? It simply may not be possible, but I think that it should be.

I've been doing some searching on the net and keep coming across a feature of OS X Tiger called "Xgrid". It kind of sounds like what I want to do, but I'm not completely sure. Does anyone know the steps I need to do to hook them together and set it up? I know that's a tall order, sorry.

I hope that someone here can give me a bit of help. I'm going to jump onto the chat in a bit and see if anyone knows anything there.

Here's to hoping.

Thanks,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Share Resources from a Mac G4 and G5

OK, disassemble both computers and then post when you are done for further instructions.

Just joking.

That will be great if someone here knows the details of how to accomplish this. Seems like it should be possible, since it is possible with linux and OSX is based on BSD, which is some kind of derivative of it.

What exactly do you want to do? To use Xgrid, applications have to be written specifically for it. You may be able to set up the G4 to remotely host sample libs but the G4, by today's standards, is pretty underpowerwed. I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from it.

I've been doing more searching and wonder if MusicLab's MidiOverLan would work. Essentially, I want to be able to install libraries on one computer and run them on the other. Anyone here doing this?

Thanks,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Jonny

No need to buy MIDIoverLAN! OSX has MIDI networking BUILT in!

If both your G4 and G5 are using the same version of OSX (I think you need to be running Tiger), you ought to be able to network them together.

I do this often with my G5 and my G4 powerbook. I have them hooked up to a router so they can communicate with each other. Right now my laptop has more RAM than my G5, so I load up a few instruments on my G5 as a hosts, and then control it via the MIDI over Network connection with my G4. I plan on upgrading my RAM soon, so the situation will reverse itself soon, but I still plan on using my laptop to host a few instruments. anything it hosts will free up CPU and RAM from the controlling G5. Make sense?

You just go into the Audio/MIDI setup utility and one of the MIDI devices available will be "network" You create a name for your session. That session will be availalbe when you load up the utility in the other machine, you click on it to make it active and there you go. There is a bit more to the actual setup I think, but I cannot remember the details - OSX help guide will walk you through it, I used it to set mine up.

If you need help, I'll gladly go over what I did in detail and post it. It is a nice but often overlooked feature of OSX Tiger.

I just wish that OSX's built in MIDI over network would talk nicely to XP. But that is what MIDIoverLAN does. It works on both PC and Mac.

The problem I have is routing my audio from my hosting machine back digitally to my sequencing machine. I have a few work-arounds, but nothing great. Plasq's Wormhole would have worked GREAT, but PLASQ discontinued its development.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

By the way - there is very little latency with my connection this way. I think it would be even less if I had a true Gigabit ethernet router. But anyway - just in case you were wondering about the latency.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum