• Register
  • Help

Topic: two problems that happen and don't happen

Share/Bookmark

Question two problems that happen and don't happen

yes, confusing. i run finale2008a with both garritan for finale, and the full GPO. the hardware is a dual processor MAC Pro Quad . each processor is 2.66 GHz with 9 gigs of RAM and 2.5 terabites of space. the machine is dedicated to finale. it does nothing else. does not even have adobe on it nor word or stuff. it does have iTunes and Safari and dashboard. anyway, it should have the power and space -----and yet

problem 1 - at the end of a concerto movement, i put in pp markings with hairpins down to ppp for each string section instrument for dying away. none of it was obeyed. it played very very loud. i checked the kontakt2 modwheels and all string instruments were at 123. i tried moving back the dynamic markings a couple of bars - no difference. ....and

problem 2 - i have tried several pieces where the first bar in the piece is pizz. for strings. it never works. it is always arco. and yes, i defined all strings as KS upon setup. and, at other places in the music, i will have arco or pizz. - and maybe it will obeyed and maybe not. for arco or pizz at the beginning of the bar, i click at the beginning, select the marking, and let finale put it where it wants. inside the bar, i click on the note, and tell finale it is for that place in the measure.

have any of you experienced this at all. i don't know if finale is not doing something, or if garritan or kontakt2 are not following through, or what. maybe i am not putting the markings in correctly. but, in the past, up until this week, i did not seem to have these problems. the MAC seems to work well otherwise. it is just about 4 months old. but who knows? i welcome all comments and suggestions and ideas

ding

Re: two problems that happen and don't happen

Hi Ding

Problems with KS on the first beat of the first measure happen in Finale. To get around this, insert an empty measure at the beginning of the piece. As far as I can tell, the problem is because KS notes have to be pressed before the note to be played for the KS to work properly. If you need a KS right at the start it will cause problems. As I say, inserting an empty measure at the start of the score will overcome this. I generally make this standard practice. All of my scores will have an empty measure right at the start. I usually make this measure 1 beat in duration, hide the key and time sigs, make sure it is not numbered and set the width to 0. (all of these options except for duration can be reached by using the measure tool and double clicking on the measure. I set the duration with the time sig tool)

Cheers...

Daz 0)

I don't know about F08, but with F07 I have found, that it is safest to always apply HP related expressions as note attached expr. Measure attached expressions aren't always interpreted; note attached expr., however, usually are interpreted (and interpreted correctly). You may take that into consideration.

Re prob. 1: If hairpins and dynamic markings overlap, interpretation can be unpredictable, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I don't know about F08, but with F07 I have found, that it is safest to always apply HP related expressions as note attached expr. Measure attached expressions aren't always interpreted; note attached expr., however, usually are interpreted (and interpreted correctly). You may take that into consideration.

Re prob. 1: If hairpins and dynamic markings overlap, interpretation can be unpredictable, to say the least.
    Just an addition to this, I've noticed that measure expressions tend to affect all staves, while note expressions will only affect the staff that the note is on.
    This can lead to confusing results if one staff has a measure expression 'p' while another staff is marked 'f' on the same beat.

Cheers...

Daz 0)

thanks to both of you for responding. perhaps when it has worked for me in the past it has been a fluke or accident how i attached. it sounds as if forfor sound exprressions, you guys feel it is better to do note attachments and not measurre attachments. and the blank beginning measure i came up with too as a test, but i thought, well why does that have to be? maybe the answer is simply - just shut up and do it, because it just has to be that way.
    ding
    will try these out and rreport back.

Go Back to forum