• Register
  • Help

Topic: Differences between CoMB and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Differences between CoMB and GPO

Hi

Just want to find which instruments are shared between GPO and CoMB

For example, are the Bassoons in CoMB the same as the ones in GPO?

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Re: Differences between CoMB and GPO

Hi, darrob

Before Concert and Marching Band came out, I wasn't all that convinced that it was something I Had to have in my musical arsenal, because I already had GPO and JABB - Between those two libraries, sundry Sound Fonts, and my trusty hardware synths--I figured I had my bases covered. I couldn't really grasp what I was going to be gaining by adding CMB to the line up.

So I'm saying that I was the same as you--wondering why I would need the new library also.

But then I looked more carefully at the list of available instruments in CMB, and even though I could see there were quite a few which were duplicates of instruments I already had in GPO and JABB, there were also many more brass instruments - logically enough since CMB is meant to focus on the instrumentation needs of marching band compositions.

Now that I have the library, it's added way more than I even realized ahead of time. None of the instruments which are duplicates of what I had are the same - Like you asked about the Bassoon as an example. It isn't the same sample as in GPO. The Flute isn't the same--None of the samples seem to be actual repeats of what were used in previous libraries.

More importantly though, is that there are Group instruments - something people have been wanting in the other Garritan libraries. In CMB, you can add a Group of French Horns, for instance - and the effect is like dialing up 4 or more individual instruments in GPO. Instant ensemble building! The sound from these Groups is totally different from what you'd get from using a chorusing effect - they are really good samples of ensembles of an instrument playing together. That alone makes CMB an immensely valuable tool.

And just as the way the instruments in JABB have been subtly programmed to lend themselves to the needs of Jazz music, all the instruments in CMB have somehow been programmed to have the punch and brassiness needed for marching band compositions. You can get a much more aggressive sound more quickly and easily than you can using some of the same instruments in GPO - because GPO instruments have been programmed to have the more conservative sound of an orchestra.

That gives you at least some idea of how you are not only adding a lot more instruments - Euphonium, marching band percussion, etc - You are adding instant groups of instruments - like Sax groups, Baritone groups etc--and they all have an edge to them that increases your sound palette tremendously.

As you can see - I'm REally happy to have CMB added to my other Garritan libraries - GPO, JABB and The Strad.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy

Thanks for that info.

My main concern was whether or not I could use a combination of GPO and CoMB (CaMB?) instruments in a score.

For example, the score that I recently worked on called for 4 bassoons, and GPO has only 3. The extra instruments are going to be really handy. The percussion will, I think, also be fun to play with.
    I've been toying with the Idea of CoMB for a while now, and as soon as I saw it on the Go Round special, I pounced :0)

Now, I need to start saving my shekels for JABB (and Strad.. and Gofriller and GPOA and.... )

Cheers...

Great, darrob - And yes, all the separate Garritan libraries work perfectly well with each other, all now loadable into the same KP2 player. You can select instruments from both CMB and GPO and use them in the same project - and that'll be true for using JABB and any other Garritan libraries you have.

Have fun!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, darrob

Before Concert and Marching Band came out, I wasn't all that convinced that it was something I Had to have in my musical arsenal, because I already had GPO and JABB - Between those two libraries, sundry Sound Fonts, and my trusty hardware synths--I figured I had my bases covered. I couldn't really grasp what I was going to be gaining by adding CMB to the line up.

So I'm saying that I was the same as you--wondering why I would need the new library also.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I felt exactly the same way Randy. I too have GPO and JaBB and a few other bits and pieces and wondered what the CoMB could offer me. Then I read your reply and just at the time CoMB popped up in the 'Go Round' at half price.

Weeellll .. the inevitable happened. My dear lady was at my side, the meter was receeding and .. well .. now CoMB is oficially designated as my Christmas present.

I'm looking forward to it popping through my letterbox
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by darrob
    Hi Randy

Thanks for that info.

My main concern was whether or not I could use a combination of GPO and CoMB (CaMB?) instruments in a score.

Cheers...

I found, just last night, that a score calling for heralding trumpets can be greatly enhanced by combining CoMB with GPO. I suspect that orchestral scores calling for antiphonal brass may realize the same delightful effect.
    Last edited by Tom_Davis; 12-21-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Go Back to forum