• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Momentum for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Momentum for Orchestra

Finding musical ideas can sometimes be a challenge for a composer. After hearing etLux's piece "Quarks" and talking with my brother on his inspiration from said same piece, I decided to give it a try. Here is what I came up with:

This piece derives its melodic formation from the formula which is a form of the particle physics formula for Einstein's special relativity and of course reduced down gives you: E=mc2

E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

Where E=energy, p=particle at rest (value 0), c=the speed of light, m=mass (I set mass to 1 for 1 piece of music)

I hope you enjoy it!
    MOMENTUM
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Momentum for Orchestra

RichR:
    Very interesting mixture of harmonic, melodic and rhythmic genres' while keeping a steady pulse. I thought I detected the old reliable ABA form.
    I like it!
    sos

Hey Rich, this is very interesting. At times it got pretty abstract, but for the most part it seemed to stay relatively (no pun intended) tonal.

I really enjoyed listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Momentum for Orchestra

Sometime the inspiration is not inportant, and the results are enough to be happy.

But the idea turning on the composer process has always my respect: I know how important it is...

sosmus said,

Very interesting mixture of harmonic, melodic and rhythmic genres' while keeping a steady pulse.
    Well, you did detect ABA form and as a matter of fact it was a quasi Sonata Allegro form.

I try o break the mold of harmonic progression and I think you had a sense for that struggle in the music. I want it to be abstract with dissonants resolving to consonants but inevitably a chordal grouping appears. You know it is much like particle physics where the sub-atomic particles are random but leave their mark in the bubble chamber. Anyway, that is how I pictured it when I started but alas, my structured training lead me to this final result.

I am glad you listened and I hope you enjoyed it.

Rich

trentpmcd said,

this is very interesting. At times it got pretty abstract, but for the most part it seemed to stay relatively (no pun intended) tonal.
    As I stated previously to sos, I'm a tonal kind of guy and it is hard to break tradition. It did make for an interesting presentation and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Rich

Fabio said,

But the idea turning on the composer process has always my respect: I know how important it is...
    Thanks so much for your comments. Writing is a tool, but the inspiration of what to write, that is the story.

Thanks for listening

Rich

Rich,

Very interesting piece. I can't say that I would have guessed that this had its derivation in physics - but the point of inspiration is for the composer, not the listener. And this listener found it very satisfying. Your tonal language is clear, but with some nice twists. I found the flow to be very convincing, and never felt my attention flag. The use of the solo violin was particularly effective. The lyrical sections are lovely, and the work as a whole, very well done!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Finding musical ideas can sometimes be a challenge for a composer. After hearing etLux's piece "Quarks" and talking with my brother on his inspiration from said same piece, I decided to give it a try. Here is what I came up with:

This piece derives its melodic formation from the formula which is a form of the particle physics formula for Einstein's special relativity and of course reduced down gives you: E=mc2

E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

Where E=energy, p=particle at rest (value 0), c=the speed of light, m=mass (I set mass to 1 for 1 piece of music)

I hope you enjoy it!
    MOMENTUM

I wonder how many people here were inspired by David's Quarks? I'll bet it was quite a number. My piece inspired by his, ended up being about the witches in MacBeth while they were saying Double Double toil and trouble.

I am on my 3rd listen to Momentum and really enjoying it.

But concerning the equation....
    Do negative mass and negative energy really have any basis in reality?

But then my favorite quote....
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

I always enjoy music based on Math! (Although it all is)

Well Done

Ron

My knowledge of music theory is limited so I'll just say I liked it and found it interesting to listen to and also that it was well done.

I've heard music that sort of moves from tonal to atonal but this was more of a blend I guess.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast