• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Finally Finished - 4th movement Piano Sonata in c# minor

Share/Bookmark

Finally Finished - 4th movement Piano Sonata in c# minor

Finally finished – here is the 4th movement of my Piano Sonata in c# minor.

This contains various ideas and things from the other three movements. Maybe I should say it is a culmination of the other three…

Anyway, here is the completed sonata (though revisions are still possible):

Sonata in c# minor 1st movement
    Sonata in c# minor 2nd movement
    Sonata in c# minor 3rd movement
    Sonata in c# minor 4th movement

Let me know what you think.

It seems like writing piano sonatas is becoming a year end tradition with me. Here is what I was up to a year ago:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50741

Also, one a year before that....
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Finally Finished - 4th movement Piano Sonata in c# minor

It's a huge work. It shows some good architectural design, and is euphonic enough to be enjoied, and modern enough to be accepted as a serious work.

Intersting and well done.

Re: Finally Finished - 4th movement Piano Sonata in c# minor

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    It's a huge work. It shows some good architectural design, and is euphonic enough to be enjoied, and modern enough to be accepted as a serious work.

Intersting and well done.
    Hi Fabio. Thanks for listening and for you kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent

I know what it takes to complete a large project like this and my congrats to you are sincere. Sometimes we just want to give up and quit while on other days we can't wait to get started. I am sure that you are very happy with this, but I will give you one small piece of advice...let it sit for awhile before you make changes. Time will give you a better idea of the changes, if any, you will wish to make.

Well Done

Ron

Congratulations on completing this fantastic work. The fourth movement completes the work in a great way. I thoroughly enjoy the fugato passages. Very intense. As you may know whereas E major is my favorite major key, the relative minor has the same mysteriousness and boldness and at the same time a regal quality for me. You made excellent use of the GPO Steinway. Perhaps only the trill was not completely convincing there, but that is an extremely minor observation. Maybe you would consider sharing the score with us to study.

Thank you very much for this music.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Trent,

I agree with Ron (above) that it's a good idea to let things sit awhile before making too many reivisions. Time away can bring fresh ears...

This movement is lovely - it flows very organically, and the tonal language is very consistent throughout. My only quibble is that for a 4-movement work, I would expect a more active last movement. Having said that, I think this works well - despite my pre-conceived notions. There is something of Hindemith here - the tonal palette, the use of counterpoint, and the avoidance of frivolous virtuosity, that makes this all work (and I mean Hindemith as a compliment).

Now, rest and enjoy the holidays!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi Trent,

Although I agree that a final movement is generally assumed to be maybe a bit more frenetic, this nonetheless captivates the ear as it sits in your very impressive Sonata. The tonal language is obviously sophisticated, but still very accessible (to those like me!).

Your Sonata as a whole is a stunning work. Whatever revisions your own ear leads you to make, try not to be tempted to tinker for tinkering's sake. It sounds finished and polished -- from both the performance and compositional aspect.

Congratualtions on such a wonderful achievement!

Danny

Congratulations to a wonderful acheivement! This is beautiful and I would love to hear it performed live. The third movement is my favorite. Excellent work!

~ Lydia

Hello, Trent

I've been looking forward to this, and I certainly wasn't let down. Such a stimulating pastiche of moods, and convincingly performed on the Steinway.

But Trent --where's the vocal?? (in-joke)

Congratulations on this, my friend!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Trent

I know what it takes to complete a large project like this and my congrats to you are sincere. Sometimes we just want to give up and quit while on other days we can't wait to get started. I am sure that you are very happy with this, but I will give you one small piece of advice...let it sit for awhile before you make changes. Time will give you a better idea of the changes, if any, you will wish to make.

Well Done

Ron
    Hi Ron. Thanks for listening and for your comments.

What I said about revisions (and just edited slightly) was more to say “I am done, however, never say never”. There have been times I’ve posted a “completed” work only to go back and make major changes. I don’t plan on, but it is possible…

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast