• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic 8 CPU usage

Share/Bookmark

Logic 8 CPU usage

Well I undated to Logic 8 and I'm shocked at how slow it runs. My Dual 2 ghz G5 is crawling. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to just hold off and keep using Logic 7 or if I can get enough out of my G5 to upgrade to a new Mactel. What are other people's experience with Logic 8?

How would it run on a Mac Mini and I could keep using my current G5 for everything else??? Just curious.

J-

Re: Logic 8 CPU usage

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Well I undated to Logic 8 and I'm shocked at how slow it runs. My Dual 2 ghz G5 is crawling. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to just hold off and keep using Logic 7 or if I can get enough out of my G5 to upgrade to a new Mactel. What are other people's experience with Logic 8?

How would it run on a Mac Mini and I could keep using my current G5 for everything else??? Just curious.

J-
    i have both 2.0 ghz Intel Mac Mini and 2.0 ghz G5 DP and the Mini does load faster but it does not do as well when you;re taxing the processor because it has a shared video card with RAM and you cannot load more than 2 gigs of RAM into it.

what OS are you running? I heard 10.4.11 along with the latest "pro application support" has helped speed up Logic for PPC users. Some even say after the update that its just as fast as L7. I'm thinking about upgrading to 8 (currently on 7.1 on a 2.5 dual G5) so I'd love to hear if these updates help you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    what OS are you running? I heard 10.4.11 along with the latest "pro application support" has helped speed up Logic for PPC users. Some even say after the update that its just as fast as L7. I'm thinking about upgrading to 8 (currently on 7.1 on a 2.5 dual G5) so I'd love to hear if these updates help you at all.
    I think I have all of the updates and frankly haven't experienced the slow-down effect that others have experienced.

One thing that made a huge difference for me was to turn off "Sample Accurate Automation".

Best
    Thomas
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley

J-

That is simply not my experience here with L8 and my Dual 2.0 G5. The graphics are a little slower but not that much.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    That is simply not my experience here with L8 and my Dual 2.0 G5. The graphics are a little slower but not that much.
    This is basically my experience as well.

I do have the occasional issue where my 2nd CPU meter goes through the roof, but it usually works itself out, and doesn't happen all that often.

Are you working with Logic 7 songs ported into 8, or from a fresh 8 autoload?

I would hold off making judgement just yet, at least until you have created a fresh new autoload template in version 8 (NOT one carried over from version 7), and see how things go for you then.

Good input. I'll update to 10.4.11, I'm currently on 10.4.10. I also might experiment with a clean install on another drive - see if I can find the extra slow downs. Good to know some of you are having good results.

Go Back to forum