• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Playing a library in mono

Share/Bookmark

Playing a library in mono

Hello,
    No responses when I posted this in another section

I would like to play a library back in mono instead of stereo. I cannot find an obvious way to do this in GigaStudio 96. Is there anyway to do this without somehow modifying the library?

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Playing a library in mono

Mark,
    This is something I\'ve suggested for V3. Personally, I think it would be great if all libraries provided mono options for all sounds so that you could get max polyphony when sketching, and then just replace the sketch sounds when you\'re ready to mix.

At the moment you\'d have to edit the samples in order to achieve a mono option on a stereo instrument - and that\'s a lot of work.

It\'d be nice if Giga let you specify whether it used left, right or stereo when you pull up a sound. I know some would prefer a collapsed stereo signal to having to choose left or right, but I think that\'s defeating the idea of a simple non processor intensive alternative.

Chadwick,
    Thanks for the response. I completely agree, for a number of reasons.

First, in the basically pop music I\'m doing, by the time I get things mixed, a stereo piano or stereo trumpet is sort of meaningless to the mix. The spatial aspect of the instrument is not really improved by the sample being stereo at all.

Second, in Pro Tools LE, where I have a limited number of audio tracks, a stereo sample uses twice as much of that programs resources as I want to use.

Third, and last for me, I transfer everything from GigaStudio to PTLE over ADAT. I\'m only able to transfer four instruments across that interface vs. the eight I\'d rather transfer in mono.

I\'m getting around 1 & 2 by bringing them in to PTLE as stereo but then mixing them down to mono, but what a waste of resourse! The 3rd issue I can do nothing about unless GSt will transfer in mono.

Do you think there might be a mixer trick that could be played, like panning the piano left and the trumpet right, and then sending them both back on the same ADAT pair? (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8) I just thought of that sitting here writing you. I\'ll try that later today.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Mark,
    This is something I\'ve suggested for V3. Personally, I think it would be great if all libraries provided mono options for all sounds so that you could get max polyphony when sketching, and then just replace the sketch sounds when you\'re ready to mix.

At the moment you\'d have to edit the samples in order to achieve a mono option on a stereo instrument - and that\'s a lot of work.

It\'d be nice if Giga let you specify whether it used left, right or stereo when you pull up a sound. I know some would prefer a collapsed stereo signal to having to choose left or right, but I think that\'s defeating the idea of a simple non processor intensive alternative.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Chadwick,
    It actually hadn\'t dawned on me that this is also costing me twice the voices in GSt. You are very correct about that also.

However, I really can\'t imagine the library developers going overboard about givign me strictly mono libraries to get around this. That\'s not my issue. I\'m OK, I suppose, with using two voices to make a single mono sound, if I need to. However, I think the library developers (piano anyway) are sort of missing the point about imaging the piano in a larger sound space. When I listen to my Pianos in GSt, I hear the bass registers on the left and treble on the right. However, if a piano is on stage, the audience hear nothing like this. They hear a piano stage left. This is what I need to do when mixing a real song, so I end up panning the current libraries to a single pint anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Mark

hehe, I never considered the hard pan thing because I\'m mainly interested in saving polyphony, and even hard panning still leaves you with two voices \'played\'.

Glad it solved your problem.

Yes, it does work for me, but still, I\'d like to do it with half the voices also.

Thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    hehe, I never considered the hard pan thing because I\'m mainly interested in saving polyphony, and even hard panning still leaves you with two voices \'played\'.

Glad it solved your problem.

Actually what is better is to Collapse the stereo feild within the DSP mixer, not jsut hard pan [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

anyhow. I know Awave will spit out Mono versions of instruments for ya. Not sure if it will collapse the stereo feild, have to check it out.

I\'m sure Chicken Sys Translator can do something similar. I need to pick that one up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chadwick,
    This actually works quite nicely. In GSt I panned my piano on MIDI channel 1 hard left, and a synth on MIDI channel 2 hard right. I can then send them to mono channels in Pro Tools over a single s/pdif interface with no bleeding.

Very cool! Now I can get 10 individual instruments back into Pro Tools over a s/pdif and ADAT interface and apply individual plugins to each of them. Just like recording 10 separate instruments.

Cheers,
    Mark

Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
    Do you think there might be a mixer trick that could be played, like panning the piano left and the trumpet right, and then sending them both back on the same ADAT pair? (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8) I just thought of that sitting here writing you. I\'ll try that later today.

I\'m sure that most audio editors will let you either split a stereo signal, or \'mix\' it down to mono, but I think we\'re looking for something which doesn\'t involve having to do bulk editing. That\'s why I think it\'d be nice to have a simple switch in the giga main panel - maybe near the pan slider. But it\'s probably not as simple as telling giga to only lift one side of a sample from disk.

Oh believe me I want a Mono switch as well.

Been wanting that since my first foray into layered samples [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Still for right now, Awave and I believe CS translator will do the edits in Batch. In a sense converting your library into a \"mono\" version

This is the only option I know of other than doing it yourself [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In fact I believe options like Awave and Translator are important tools for all of us. Obviously the guys at Nemesys/Tascam wont be able to do all we ask, some options are just more important tho this one should be IMPORTANT!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), and the developers wont find it very cost effective to release mono/dual mono version of all their libraries...especially in the +10 disc/multiple DVD realms.

Letting other apps do the work for ya is an awesome option. Not to mention these things can do some other awesome things that can also be batched. This stuff can expand libraries beyond what the original developers had in mind, and might even encourage developers to work with these guys to enhance their libraries in the future.

The more I play with Awave the more I start to think that Markus at FMJ soft and Garth at Chicken Systems are \"heros in wait\" for the sampling realm. I see so many things that can come from these guys in the realm of enhancing libraries that they can impliment blindfolded. I\'ve a few suggestions I will be sending to both of them in the near furure that I hope will go over well.

All this from just a few weeks of toying with Awave [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And the little I\'ve spoken with Garth at Chicken Systems. IMO if Tascam and nemesys cant do it all, lets try and ask these guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum