• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wind midi controller & JABB

Share/Bookmark

Wind midi controller & JABB

Hi, this is my first post in this Forum.
    I'm an italian classical clarinet player and i've recently begun to play with a PC just to improve my horizon in Jazz and electronic music.
    I need of your help about using a wind midi controller (WX5) and Garritan JABB in live performance.
    What kind of setting i need to do for a more realistic sound with Garritan libraries? I use it with Cubase Sx, but if i play a long note on the WX5 why it doesn't result in a crescendo as i increase the pressure breath? What's wrong?
    Hope that you can help me
    tanks in advance.
    Paolo

Re: Wind midi controller & JABB

Quote Originally Posted by Luz69
    Hi, this is my first post in this Forum.
    I'm an italian classical clarinet player and i've recently begun to play with a PC just to improve my horizon in Jazz and electronic music.
    I need of your help about using a wind midi controller (WX5) and Garritan JABB in live performance.
    What kind of setting i need to do for a more realistic sound with Garritan libraries? I use it with Cubase Sx, but if i play a long note on the WX5 why it doesn't result in a crescendo as i increase the pressure breath? What's wrong?
    Hope that you can help me
    tanks in advance.
    Paolo
    Paolo...
    First, WELCOME to the forum!
    Here is a BRIEF explanation. JABB horns respond to MIDI controller #1, the modulation wheel, for dynamics. With JABB horns, velocity controls the initial attack.

SO: You must tell your WX5 that breath pressure will send CC1 data. What controller does the WX5 send now? Or does it send velocity? Can you make the WX5 send CC1 from breath pressure?

OR: Can you set cubase to remap whatever it is receiving to CC1? Some sequencers can remap one controller to another.

However you do it, JABB horns need CC1 data to control dynamics.

Hope this gives you a good start.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Or if you update to the latest Kontakt Player (2.2.3) you need to do nothing. Leave your WX5 to breath controller (CC02) and JABB will work fine.
    This is from page 40 of the JABB manual:

Note: With the Kontakt2 Player version of J&BB mod wheel (cc#1,) isn’t the only way to control volume/timbre. Expressive instruments will also respond to breath control (cc#2) or MIDI expression (cc#11.) It is not necessary to take any steps to activate these alternate controllers – they are always available. One important caveat: You must use only one of these controllers at a time.

Serge

FYI, I tried connecting my WX5 to a MIDI analyzer to see what it does while playing.

When you play a note, it sends a note-on signal with a velocity that depends on how hard you blow. As you vary your lip pressure, it sends pitch bend signals to indicate the pitch changes. As you vary your breath pressure, it sends CC#2 signals to follow the breath pressure.

If you change from one note to another while still playing, it sends a note-on signal for the new note (with velocity equal to the current breath pressure) followed by a note-off signal for the old note. This sequence is useful to indicate legato playing.

When you stop playing, it sends a note-off signal for the last note and stops sending pitch-bend and CC#2 signals.

Hope this helps. I am going to try it with GPO and see what happens.

FYI, I just tried connecting my WX-5 to GPO and it worked perfectly. Getting the attacks to sound right may require a little practice, as does playing in tune, but it works just fine without any parameter changes.

You will find that different types of attacks, vibrato, and playing styles will be called for depending on the instrument you are trying to emulate. A wind controller is at the same time both an emulator of other instruments and an instrument unto itself, and it definitely requires practice to master.

I have yet to try one with a Garritan library - sounds like loads of fun! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
    David

Thank you guys
    I'll try this afternoon the setting that you have suggest me and update the Kontakt player. I'll be back as soon as possible...with a good news.
    Hope in a success
    Paolo

Go Back to forum