• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best grand pianos!

Share/Bookmark

Best grand pianos!

Dear Pianos,
    Hi, I've heard some grand pianos and would like to know if people can say which ones are the best sounding, please!
    Yours sincerly,
    Mr. Paul Carrell

Re: Best grand pianos!

That's like asking which is the best beer; the answer is completely subjective. There's Yamaha, Steinway, Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Bluthner, Kawai, Samick, Mason and Hamlin, and the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    That's like asking which is the best beer; the answer is completely subjective. There's Yamaha, Steinway, Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Bluthner, Kawai, Samick, Mason and Hamlin, and the list goes on...
    I have a seven foot schimmel and have enjoyed it immensely, very clear, wonderful action. Its up for sale since I cannot play anymore. Steinways and Baldwins get a little more volume and have a different tone. I could almost like different pianos for different pieces-but that would be getting carried away. I have been unimpressed with Yamahas, Kawais and Samick-but that is just taste. Play them all and see what you like.

Paul

The Schimmel may well be my favorite piano as well. I wish someone would sample one... (hint, hint)

The acoustic German Steinways have a beautiful dulcet tone.
    In the end, it's all apples & oranges, really.

Or were you referring to Grand Piano "sample" libraries?

Native Instruments Akoustik and Synthogy Ivory are currently considered the creme-de-la-creme of digital grand piano sample libraries.

Another factor you must consider is what type of music will you be principally recording: Classical, Pop, Jazz, Gospel, New Age?

Fortunately, with most digital sample libraries, you have a host of parameters which you can tweak to your heart's delight to render the sound you are looking for, in addition to inherent convolution program parameters that render a variety of acoustic space environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Carrell View Post
    Dear Pianos,
    Hi, I've heard some grand pianos and would like to know if people can say which ones are the best sounding, please!
    Yours sincerly,
    Mr. Paul Carrell

In real pianos there is incredible variation even within piano brands of the same model. I play an old Kawai Model 500 which, unlike many of the current lower end Kawais, was made in Japan. It's a 1968 5'10" grand and sounds much better than many smaller Steinways currently on the market.

Just luck, I think, because a well-made Steinway in good condition that is at least 5'10" can be a fantastic-sounding piano, much nicer than any Japanese piano. But there are plenty of Steinway clunkers, so you have to be careful. Bosendorfers are expensive, and an acquired taste. Schimmel, which is attempting to penetrate the North American market and unseat Steinway, is a great piano, cheaper than Steinway, but still German made. Are they quite as nice-sounding? That's a big debate.

JG

Paul, if you're asking about acoustics, try PianoWorld.

Hello,
    for many people the Synthogy Ivory is the best piano lib out there. Maybe the Quatum Leap Pianos can beat Ivory.

Regards,
    Metuschelach

Re: Ivory and Akoustic, I'm not convinced that either of these is demonstrably more "convincing" or "real" than the Black Grand.

As far as the Bos sample is concerned, I still think we have to go back as far as the old PMI Bos to get the most convincing sound....

Garritan Steinway? That's the big question.....
    I'm looking for a big advance over Ivory, Black, and Akoustic.

JG

Go Back to forum