• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tchaikovsky Symph. 6, mvt. II (unfinished)

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky Symph. 6, mvt. II (unfinished)

Hey all.

This is one of my favorite pieces of music so I decided to practice GPO with it. I've completed it up to rehearsal letter "A" so far and I'm posting it unfinished because I want to know if anyone has any comments / criticism about how it sounds right now before I continue.

So if you can spare a minute and twenty seconds, please give a listen.

http://www.suspenlute.com/stuff/tchaikovski-6b_(unfinished).mp3

Thanks
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: Tchaikovsky Symph. 6, mvt. II (unfinished)

That sounds wonderful, Chris! - -You're right, it really is such a nice piece of music. Lilt with sophistication.

You say you want notes? I think it'd be fair to experiment with a little less reverb, see how that sounds to you. And subtly, just on occassion, it sounded like instruments, Woodwinds, were maybe too perfectly in unison. Maybe?

I'm impressed, really is sounding lush and great.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Chris

Tchaikovsky was such a great composer. You have done a fine job of presenting what you have here. A little less 'verb might help, but I tend to like less myself.

Well done

Ron

Chris, excellent job on this; very well interpreted
    and "conducted". This is Tchaikovsky at his
    lyrical best; and you've definitely got this well
    in hand.

I think the main thing I'd look at, here, is the
    sound treatment, which isn't giving quite due
    justice to your musicianship. Now, you know I'm
    the village idiot with this stuff -- but somewhat
    less, I think.

Keep this coming, Chris.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Chris,

The reverb was what I noticed myself. I think a little less might be good. Right now it sounds like it was recorded in a big concert hall (which might be what you were going for), but I think if you tone it down a notch it will be better.

All in all, very good! I like this piece alot too.

--Richard

Hi Chris,

The rendering is very good so far. Yes, the cello is a little distant. But my main comment would be to give a little push at the start of each measure. Nothing drastic, just a little push on the downbeats to help orient the listener. This particular movement is a famous early example of using odd-meter in an orchestral setting and a little metrical emphasis would be nice. It should come off as a kind of lop-sided waltz, something you could dance to, were one leg shorter than the other.

Secondary emphasis would follow the general phrasing:

1 2 3 4 5

Chris,

This is a really well done interpretation of this wonderful work.I personally like the large hall effect you have as long as nothing gets lost of hidden in the expanse. Thanks for sharing it with the forum. I an anxious to hear more of it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Now I'm off to finish it. I'll post again when the whole movement is done but here's a newer version with a few production tweaks after seeing what everyone had to say...

--less reverb (smaller room, shorter delay, higher diffusion)
    --cello slightly strengthened
    --clarinets slightly weakened
    --violins shifted a bit further to the left (to more effectively answer the cello)

http://www.suspenlute.com/stuff/tchaikovski_2.mp3

Still need to adjust the woodwinds a little. I tried getting around the lack of humanised playback in FL7 by entering the notes in unison and automating the time offset, which sounds nice imo but clearly it could be a little bit better.

Back to the drawing/mixing board....
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Hi, Chris

It's great to see how hard at work you are. Way to go.

"...I tried getting around the lack of humanised playback in FL7 by entering the notes in unison and automating the time offset..."

--I don't think there's anything like good ol' human "error." I understand you're not actually playing this music, but even with hand inserting the notes, if you have any snap-to-grid kind of quantization feature Off, then you can be assured each note will be plopped into a slightly different place.

To have them all absolutely in unison to begin with and then trying to shift them around with offsets - it doesn't yield the same kind of less-predictable and more organic results. Something for you to try anyway.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum