• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about JABB

Share/Bookmark

Question about JABB

Gary (or anyone):

I am about to begin Jazz/Broadway project so I just purchased JABB. One thing I am trying to see, before it comes, is a complete description of the articulations. And also if there are solo instruments in order to create a custom section. Where might I find this? Sorry I don't see it on the site, just the instrument listings.

Thanks-
    Tom

Re: Question about JABB

Hi Tom,

JABB functions like GPO. There are no "articulations." There's a performance patch for each instrument which has a carefully crafted sample pool that responds to the modwheel and the note velocity (among other adjustable midi parameters) to control the sound of the note. Modwheel gives control over volume and timbre, while velocity will control the attack strength. All your articulations come from your programming, giving it a very homogeneous feel.

Each instrument is a solo instrument (so you've got five solo trumpets, for example). Layering them together and playing each one separately will give you the section feel. It's an ensemble-building approach.

Just want to add that, although there arent individual patches for different articulations (as some libraries have) JABB is by no means restricted by this! In fact in many ways it is better, making work quicker, once youve spent a (very) little time learning how to use cc controls effectively...for example it produces fantastic doits and falloffs for you in the trumpets, all you have to do is assign cc15 value between certain numbers. Really dont be worried thinking about what may or may not be able to acheive. Its all possible!

The manual is well written, quick to read and easy to understand, and if you have any issues then of course just ask and someone much more qualified than myself will answer!

Good luck with it!

Hey Guys thanks-

I'm thinking about sax bends that bend into the note. I've heard pitch bend on other libs and it doesn't really cut it. Am I wishing for too much here with JABB in regard to bending notes on any of the woodwind or brass instruments? Or is this accomplished on CC#15 like you mentioned, Ben.

Thanks again-
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by landford
    Hey Guys thanks-

I'm thinking about sax bends that bend into the note. I've heard pitch bend on other libs and it doesn't really cut it. Am I wishing for too much here with JABB in regard to bending notes on any of the woodwind or brass instruments? Or is this accomplished on CC#15 like you mentioned, Ben.

Thanks again-
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Just regarding the bending of notes: I've found for my own ear that an extremely judicious use of pitch bend sometimes combined with a slight hint of a "grace note" thrown in at a very low velocity will produce very realistic results. It takes some experimentation, but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Danny

Agreed. pitch bending is like cayenne pepper - a little goes a long way. Unless you're emulating Johnny Hodges' alto style, or maybe Ben Webster on tenor, you won't need much bending at all.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum