• Register
  • Help

Topic: To all folks who have used Mattias' "Memory Load Optimization" Tool...

Share/Bookmark

To all folks who have used Mattias' "Memory Load Optimization" Tool...

I'm looking to compile a list of settings that folks have implemented successfully on their systems.

If you have used Mattias' tool, and if, as a result, you have seen an improvement in the number of instruments that you can load successfully, or a larger max value of msg32.exe, please post your "tweak" numbers, as well as your computer specs and the version of GS3 that you are using.

Have you noticed any difference in the way that other apps functioned (be it for better or worse), after making changes using Mattias' tool?

If you prefer to discuss it sub rosa, you can e-mail me via the e-mail address given on the "Contact" page of my website (see below)... PM-ing me isn't the best idea, as my NSS mailbox is nearly full and I don't have time to give it the proper pruning that it deserves...

Thanks!!

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: To all folks who have used Mattias' "Memory Load Optimization" Tool...

I have the VI player on my Giga machine. I found that I had to go back to the standard settings to make everybody happy.

Previously, I was running 1.5 GB with GS3 only and one of the tweaks. (Can't remember which.) I upgraded to 2 GB and added VI at the same time. Since then I have to use standard settings and GS3 gets less memory than it did with the 1.5 GB settings.

Looking forward to GS4...

I am having trouble sleeping awaitng it's release.
    JimmyV

Hi,

I tried to use memory tweaks ( either Matthias or 4 presets for memory > 1.5G ). This is a strange thing I have found:

1. If I try to load all 16-bit instruments, my msg32.exe can go all the way to ~900 M without complaining unknown system error. The max memory reported by memory test was 976M

2. I try to load VSL-24 instruments ( comes with GS3 orchestra ) only, msg32.exe can only go up to ~600/650M and then complains about USE.

3. It complains USE here and there if I load a performance files which mixe 24bit with 16bit instruments.

Is there anyone seeing similar results, ie, memory tweaks work *only* for 16bit instruments ?

esz

ps. Is it true that DEF only works on 24-bit instruments ? If it works for 16-bit, I don't mind using 16bit only.

I have successfully used the optimizer. I have used it for every release of GS3 there is and always on his 4th preset which is pagedpoolquote 40 and pagedpoolsize 4000000 and 0 in the nonpaged portions

this machine is a standalone box for GS3, no other apps run on it:
    WinXP pro SP2 with latest windows updates, intel cor duo 1.86ghz 4 gigs of ram
    it has a single RME HDSP 9652 running 24 channels ADAT i/o and the latest drivers from RME, as well as MIDIOverLAN. Those are the only apps installed. Currently my GS is 3.21, latest (final) release. its an asus mb i think P5N-E and the OS on a single IDE disc and the samples on a terabite SATA raid, i think they are seagate

I dont know how much more it gives me exactly, but I know that without it I cannot load 98% of the .gsp files I have for my works

Hoep that helps
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Hi ,
    I am sure that graphic carte drivers take the most part of the memory .
    My Computer : Mattias tweak ,P4 3,4G , 2.5G Ram , MiaMidi , Gs3
    First : Gs3 test give me 752 M .I have Graphic Radeon 250 M
    Why ? because I thought graphic card with big memory no take system ressource . . .Big mistake , no valid for Gigastudio ! ! ! it's the contrary
    Second : I disable Catalyst radeon driver in hardware panel
    ( not uninstal ) , only windows xp default drivers stay . easy to do this experience
    Gs3 test give me 995 M , I win 150 M , more that Mathias tweak ,and I obtain good stability ( but screen slow . . . )
    Third :I buy 5 $ on Ebay an "Ati Rage128 pro II" : I have 950M OK

Another remark , one time I make 3G of ram . . . and I lose
    The best Gs3 test is with 1,5 Giga , I think it's extension adress that take memory from 1,3 Giga barrier reserved for driver and . . .Gigastudio

I have a question related to switching to GS3 that is relevant to this but first:

Yes.
    For GS2 ...I've very successfully used "the tweak" for a 2GB and a 3GB machine, getting them both up to loading 99%.

The question:
    I've just recently upgraded to GS3 and it still loads my 99%_test_performance file, but shows a percentage that is much lower in the GS3 meter.

Should I re-do the tweak for GS3 to try to get the GS3 meter up to 99%, or is the tweak really about the memory usage in Windows, and the GS3 meter is just not as accurate as the GS2 meter, or ...... is GS3 capable of loading more than GS2?

Thanks!

I'd finally had enough last night. For the past couple months GS3 has been struggling to load 350mb of samples (I have 2gb RAM - I was struggling to even get 20%). I'd tried everything, making sure no unneeded services were running, making sure no rogue drivers or anything were installed (I hadn't changed them on my DAW since the last reformat anyway), going through Mattias' and Tascam's presets to see if any helped. Nada. I finally reformated last night and now I'm using Tascam's preset 3. I can get around 900mb of samples loaded now which I'm pleased with.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Should I re-do the tweak for GS3 to try to get the GS3 meter up to 99%, or is the tweak really about the memory usage in Windows, and the GS3 meter is just not as accurate as the GS2 meter, or ...... is GS3 capable of loading more than GS2?
    I don't think it's possible to load so much. From what I have seen anything over 50% seems to be good.

Has anyone else noticed that having NFX effects in the mixer affects how much memory you can use?

These are my test results for GS3 and then the old GS2 results.
    I used the same perfomance file I originally created to push GS2 up to 99% to test GS3.

----------
    GS3:
    99%_Load_Test_NF7S.gsp = 72% in GS3.
    ( GS3 sees it as 68 instruments )
    Task Manager: MSG32 uses: 1,098,608K
    -------------------------------------
    GS2:
    99%_Load_Test_NF7S.gsp = 99% in GS2.
    ( GS2 sees it as 54 instruments )
    Task Manager: MSG32 uses: 1,083,080

Go Back to forum