• Register
  • Help

Topic: STRADIVARIUS - How Do I Get It to Play Nicely With Itself?

Share/Bookmark

STRADIVARIUS - How Do I Get It to Play Nicely With Itself?

Scenario:
    • Orchestral piece (Cubase 4)
    • Violin I & II - Both Strad
    • One KP2 loaded as a VST instrument
    • Two instances of the Strad loaded into KP2, each directed to its own MIDI channel
    • The sound stutters and cuts out, like the violins are fighting for the same instrument
    • They each play fine if the track for the other is muted
    • There are no other "stuttering" or sound-drop-out issues with any of the other instruments (or any of my other songs, even when they have 2 or 3 times the number of tracks)
    I would dearly love to get this resolved so I can get on with creating music! I also have another song that I want to do for 6 violins--and I would like to use 6 Strad tracks.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Barb

P.S. Was anyone ever able to locate that article someone had posted that detailed the steps the writer took to transform a raw Strad track into a gorgeous end product? I've been trying to locate it, without success.

Re: STRADIVARIUS - How Do I Get It to Play Nicely With Itself?

It almost sounds like they are interfering with each other. It's also possible that if they hit the same note at the same time that phasing could be causing a cancelling effect.

Jim

If phasing is the issue, how do I fix it?

What do others do? I know I'm not the only one trying to use multiple copies....

Barb

P.S. I am so bad at trying to get really good sounds! I sure hope I improve!

I may be wrong, but I think you can only successfully load the two instruments available ie. version 1 and 2 to play together. As far as I know they use different samples. If you load several instances of the same sample set, there's nothing you can do to stop interference.

How to get good sounds ? I guess the Strad is like any other instrument, it gets better with practice and experimentation, and I found, most of all patience....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thank you for the info and encouragement. I'll try that and see what happens.

Barb

Hi Barb,

Have you tried to nudge one of the tracks just a tiny bit to the right or left?
    I’m still using KP1 and in the window of each instrument I can choose the 'instrumental output channel' (1/2, 3/4 etc). If you have this option in your KP then check it out. Each instrument should be set to a different channel.
    Hope this helps...

Yudit

P.S. Was anyone ever able to locate that article someone had posted that detailed the steps the writer took to transform a raw Strad track into a gorgeous end product? I've been trying to locate it, without success.[/QUOTE]

The tutorial that answered my questions (and doubts) about the Strad was posted by Fabio as a draft. It is now buried deep in the archives as the links to such tutorials on the main Garritan site seem to have been discontinued. But hopefully this link will get you there so you can check it. http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41257

Smile Re: STRADIVARIUS - How Do I Get It to Play Nicely With Itself?

Yudit, I have each instance of the Strad (in kP2 and the separate tracks in Cubase) routed to their own MIDI channel, but I haven't tried nudging them one way or the other. Given the slight variations in attack time, how would a person avoid having notes overlap throughout the song? (Or perhaps I'm not understanding what you are proposing here and how it actually works.)

Dermod, that was exactly the article I was trying to locate. Thanks so much for the link!

Fabio, brilliant article. Thank you for taking the time to give such detailed input. Your end track sounded fabulous!

Thanks, folks. I'll keep persevering. If anyone else has run into--and solved--the issue of sound cutting out when two Strads are being used in a song, I would very much appreciate knowing your solution.

Barb

28Dec07 - I still can't get two Strads to play correctly (simultaneously). I tried the two different sample sets, as suggested, and it didn't make any difference. Is anyone else trying to use the Strad for Violin I and Violin II in a piece?

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by bmurrin
    28Dec07 - I still can't get two Strads to play correctly (simultaneously). I tried the two different sample sets, as suggested, and it didn't make any difference. Is anyone else trying to use the Strad for Violin I and Violin II in a piece?

Barb
    Hi Barb,

Have you tried to open a second KP (F11) just for the second Strad.?

Go Back to forum