• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

I think that going on discussing about it on a thread named WIDI is not fair nor useful.

I'm quite excited by the last announcements of the new ( "new" as a team, but really senior developers ) company!

So let's go on the discussion here.

Everything is starting from this discovery:
    http://www.sample-modeling.com

WOW...

Re: Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

Same. I agree that it desrves its own "not WIVI" thread, now that we have established what it is.

I too am mightly impressed by the demo

Oops,

Fabio, I opend the other thread because I first thought that it was a new wivi library.

Yeah, this demo is very great. Many years ago I played the trumpet and am impressed what we can do now with virtual instruments there.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thumbs up Re: Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

Nothing against you Gunther!

The opposite, many thanks and congratulations for the quick discovery and the prompt sharing of the finding with the NSS community!

I just think the matter is important enough to be discussed in a dedicated thread!!!

Okay... this is sweet. This sounds like the answer to the BBB situation. (I can't afford BBB). Granted it's trumpet and not a complete band, yet... It's very affordable! And it sounds pretty incredible. I have already set aside my $$$ for this one.

The deal maker is:

- How will it do long notes
    - How will it do a Williamish fanfare
    - How will it do a Williamish emotional "lone trumpet"

It really sounds like it has potential.

Cool Re: Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    The deal maker is:

- How will it do long notes
    - How will it do a Williamish fanfare
    - How will it do a Williamish emotional "lone trumpet"

It really sounds like it has potential.
    I already had an interview with Giorgio... (advantage of being an Italian friend...;-)

Long notes? You may make every kind of long notes, with a nearly infinite amount of variations, being several controllers working in real time on the broadest dynamic range possible...

Fanfare? screaming or clownesque fast articulations as heroic trumpet tunes are playable simply like in the real trumpet...and 3 different instrument are available for a powerful unison or a realistic session.

Emotional? the poetic solo is modulable with soft non vibrato, as with shaking deep vibrato, intensity and intimacy. This is probably the most exclusive application of an instrument like that, where the normal sampling is failing...

But you don't have to believe my words: demos are coming soon....

(by the way the master of Lone Trumpet is Ennio...Morricone of course...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I already had an interview with Giorgio... (advantage of being an Italian friend...;-)

Long notes? You may make every kind of long notes, with a nearly infinite amount of variations, being several controllers working in real time on the broadest dynamic range possible...

Fanfare? screaming or clownesque fast articulations as heroic trumpet tunes are playable simply like in the real trumpet...and 3 different instrument are available for a powerful unison or a realistic session.

Emotional? the poetic solo is modulable with soft non vibrato, as with shaking deep vibrato, intensity and intimacy. This is probably the most exclusive application of an instrument like that, where the normal sampling is failing...

But you don't have to believe my words: demos are coming soon....

(by the way the master of Lone Trumpet is Ennio...Morricone of course...)
    hehe - I prefere Williams

Anyway I hope your right. The above factors will define if this thing will kick everything else in the ~~~. Regarding the long notes... I always viewed these as the weakest part of the Garritan cello and stad. The best demos I have heard all featured fast passages mainly... But I have never been satisfied with the attempts at lines like "Shindlers List" (staying with Williams here ). That's the point where the timbre starts to break and vibrato sound not too nice.

But hopefully this will be no issue with the advances in Giorgio's technology as well as perhaps the inheirent qualities of brass.

Cool Re: Sample Modeling and The Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen

But hopefully this will be no issue with the advances in Giorgio's technology as well as perhaps the inheirent qualities of brass.
    I think so: the recorded material is outstanding, and the technology improved. But also the physical model of the trumpet itself makes some of the expressions easier to understand and replicate.

The inharmonic body of a violin with the whole range of inducted resonances (strings, wood, air combining and influencing eachother) is quite harder to keep real.

I still consider the Stradivari and the Gofriller a miracol, due to real time expression as an exclusive and exciting feature. But I agree that some long note with natural real vibrato recorded in a simple sample playback is probably better than Stradi same note (even because programming the right vibrato envelope of a long note with Stradi is as challenging as playing the real violin: you finish sounding like a student instead of a soloist, if you don't spend at least 15 minutes tweeking per single note... )

I remember reading some heated threads from around five years ago here, where some of the senior bloggers/techno boffins here said this kind of realisation for brass wasnt really possible. They were wrong...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast