• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dirac Sea

Share/Bookmark

Dirac Sea

Here is a piece I am calling: “The Dirac Sea”. It uses the infamous equation E=mc2 which was used earlier by another composer here. This piece was also inspired by Etlux's brilliant "Quarks"

“The Dirac sea is a theoretical model of the vacuum as an infinite sea of particles possessing negative energy. It was invented by the BritishphysicistPaul Dirac in 1930 to explain the anomalous negative-energy quantum states predicted by the Dirac equation for relativisticelectrons. The positron, the antimatter counterpart of the electron, was originally conceived of as a hole in the Dirac sea, well before its experimental discovery in 1932. Dirac, Einstein and others recognised that it is related to the 'metaphysical' aether[1]:
    ... with the new theory of electrodynamics we are rather forced to have an aether. – P.A.M. Dirac, ‘Is There An Aether?,’ Nature, v.168, 1951, p.906.
    The equation relating energy, mass and momentum in special relativity is:
    E2 = p2c2 + m2c4,
    In the special case of a particle at rest (ie p = 0, ) the above equation reduces to E2 = m2c4, which is usually quoted as the familiar E = mc2. However, this is a simplification because, while x * x = x2, we can also see that ( − x) * ( − x) = x2. ” (This is from Winkepedia)

Needless to say, I didn’t do the math. What I did do is use the masses of three particles (Tau Lepton, Muon, and Electron) that can be found in the Dirac Sea as the basis for a tonal sequence. And then I just ‘creatively’ constructed a piece using the motives derived from those masses. The Engergy (E) of the piece (The main motive) is equal to Musical tones (M) divided by the speed of light (186,000 fps – nope I didn’t square it because I didn’t like the tonal sequence it offered). Thus my Dirac see is not square and comes from the equation: E=MC or E=12/186,000 or 6.4516129032258064516129032258065e-5. I used the first 9 digits to select tones of the chromatic scale with 0 = the first tone.

The “DIRAC SEA” contains:

A The Dirac Sea
    B Tau Lepton
    A’ The Dirac Sea
    C Muon
    A’’ The Dirac Sea
    D Electron
    A’’’ The Dirac Sea

It’s in a quasi rondo form with the sea returning carrying references to each particle. The themes or motivs were created by using the atomic mass of each particle and generating a tone sequence from that number. All the rest was creative doodling!

Have a listen to:

Dirac Sea (esnips)
    or
    Dirac Sea (Soundclick)
    or
    Dirac Sea (Box)
    Last edited by wrayer; 12-21-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Better Sound Post
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Dirac Sea

Physics surely has become a significant source of
    musical inspiration, here, lately.

And a most fruitful one!

A highly successful and intriguing foray into the realm
    of the subatomic, William... yet, regardless of the
    wild and wooly behavior of the particles whence it
    originates, a comprehensible, satisfying and enjoyable
    listen. (The tail section, the whole ending on this,
    particularly, is excellent work, my friend.)

William, I hope you will continue further along this
    avenue. Though the physics and the math may be
    dry bones to us; the music, quite to the contrary, is
    solidly alive and worthwhile!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This has certainly changed and to the better since the last time you sent me a copy to listen to. This is well constructed and has a real nice flow to it. As usual, you really impress me with your writing talent.

Excellent work

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I clicked on the link and started getting a bunch of pop ups (I have pop-ups disabled). My computer freaked out for a couple of minutes and I never saw the esnips site - as suddenly as it started, all browsers closed. I've heard others complain about e-snips and never had any problems until now... I'll never click on e-snip links again
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I clicked on the link and started getting a bunch of pop ups (I have pop-ups disabled). My computer freaked out for a couple of minutes and I never saw the esnips site - as suddenly as it started, all browsers closed. I've heard others complain about e-snips and never had any problems until now... I'll never click on e-snip links again
    Sorry your esnips sniped you. I will post it elsewhere for those who have trouble with esnips.

Challenge #10 Winner

etlux - thank you for the kind words and for the help you gave on this work. The work grew much larger than I first had concieved. Almost 9 minutes of music grew from those sub-atomic particles. My brother pointed out to me that the "tail section" as you put it, needed a little more development and climax, and your thoughts on more developement helped me re-think the work.

RichR - Thanks again for listening and for your constructive help. I appreciate your candor and useful criticisms. I wish I could master a wav file like you do!

Challenge #10 Winner

When I click on the link at the top, it takes me to my page at soundclick, not to yours.

Don't know how to find it from there

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    When I click on the link at the top, it takes me to my page at soundclick, not to yours.

Don't know how to find it from there

Ron
    I put it back on esnips - I can't figure how to get soundclick url in this post.

Challenge #10 Winner

A very promising start. I wish could listen to it, but esnips hijacked my browser 30 seconds into it.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I find that with e-snips, it only does it once. If you close everything that they throw at you, then it works.

Negative energy and negative mass are fun ideas to play with.

I consider them to be part of the "Nothing" that makes up almost all of our universe, at least as we comprehend it. The aether as Einstein used to say or dark energy as many call it today.

Einstein first believed that there had to be an aether, then he said not. Those that have "stood on his shoulders," have brought it back.
    But you did E=M/C Not E=MC nor E=MC^2.

I knew that there were others that were inspired by David's Quarks.
    Just one more thought... Space is full of music, yet there is no matter for the sound to carry, therefore we can not hear it directly. Yet we know it is there.

The music is very modern yet with an older twist. Kind of like what they did with Einstein's work. I can see this music being played on the discovery channel, while they discuss Dirac's equations.

Well Done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast