• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Celebration of Life (3rd movement of The Road to Victory)

Share/Bookmark

Celebration of Life (3rd movement of The Road to Victory)

Celebration of Life

It is now the night before the battle. The warriors are preparing themselves by having a bit of a party. The celebration continues long into the night. Each soldier has the same thoughts running around in his brain of whether or not he will survive the next day. At times the celebration makes them almost forget, yet each is still drawn back to the question of life or death.

All GPO.

Here is the MP3 to Celebration of Life (The 3rd Movement)
    http://www.box.net/shared/fkok8x8hl9

Here is the link to The Road to Victory, (the 1st movement)

http://www.box.net/shared/6llfgf9mo7

Here is the Mp3 to Sunrise over the Meadow, (the 2nd movement)

http://www.box.net/shared/a13ykf4tpx

The final movement will be posted once I have switched it to GPO.

Comments are most appreciated.

Ron

Re: Celebration of Life (3rd movement of The Road to Victory)

RON.

A long, long time ago in a "forum" far, far away:

"""""Hey Ron,
    This is probably your most mature, balanced, and cohesive work I've listened to. This is excellent writing! The work is smooth in transition and has plenty of thematic growth and varied repetition. Some of the brass lines are still playing in my head now!
    I would only suggest that you may want to try and use more of a brass staccato sound during fast tonguing passages for a more crisp attack. Also my ear wanted a long softer section; but there were plenty of softer areas and breaks to satisfy.
    When all these are completed you really should post it as one work in the Major Works area! Also, can't wait to hear this in GPO.
    Really great work Ron!
    Just wait till you can post it "else where" """"""

GPO does a composition good.!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hello, Ron

You have one of the most fertile and fearless musical imaginations of anyone I've had the pleasure to meet via the internet.

Your newly reborn (via GPO) 3rd movement is a wow. One of the very satisfying musical surprises for me was with what delicacy the pastiche of emotions among the warriors is sometimes conveyed in this. No obligation to stick with "macho" textures, despite the setting. The music is as complex and rich as what your descriptive text would lead a listener to expect.

Again I'm surprised at the solidly tonal and direct Major setting for your endings. I love surprises.

I appreciate Michael quoting his response to the earlier incarnation of this piece, from that other corner of cyberspace where such things as "Major Works" pages exist--shudder--I'm glad you hang out more here, Ron.

Thanks for this. Another very inspiring time on the Forum this morning, thanks to you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is a pleasant listen. The piece shows itself as a quality piece and sounds well constructed as others have already pointed out.

My only suggestion (and it is just that) is put a little more detail in the length of your brass notes. They are too long in the staccato sections. If this is done in a notation program then you can edit the parameters of your staccatos. If in a sequencer (better yet) you can shorten the notes in piano roll easily. Also don't forget to use the controllers to shorten the sampled duration for the staccato notes (cc 21 I think). This will give the rendition a more real effect.

Great piece. Now I have to go listen to the other movements.....
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Michael

As always, My most sincere thanks for you being the first to get to one of my posts. As has been noted here, I am spending more time here that in that other place so far far away.

I thank you again for telling me that these other places exist.

Randy

I feel like I twisted your arm for that wow, but I will take it any way I can get it.

Rich

Michael said the same thing back in the summer when I posted this elsewhere about the staccato. I figured because I use a notation program I was stuck with what I got. Until you said change the cc value, I didn't even think I had any options. I use sibelius and have no idea yet what cc they use for staccato, but I can find that out and fix it, because I have also thought that the staccato wasn't right. So thank you for mentioning it the way you did.

When I listern to this on my one computer, it sounds like the bass is too high, but on this computer, it's perfect. Anyone else think it's off?

Thanks again guys

Ron

Hi Ron. I liked this latest movement quite a bit. Very interesting. Overall, surprisingly up-beat, but I guess it is a celebration. I enjoyed this.
    Trent P. McDonald

Ron,

One of the most intriguing aspects of this forum is hearing the development and experiencing the direction individuals in our little community (well, NOT so little any more -- which is great!) take with each of the posts they offer.

I have to reiterate that I really, REALLY like your stuff and the direction I hear you going with each of your offerings -- you've been a tremendous addition to the forum... And I have to say that I think this may be my favorite of yours so far! The moods you are conveying are clearly stated through the compositional devices you're incorporating in all of your pieces, and the creative thoughtfulness with which you do so.

In this movement, the dance-like sections and interjections are balanced with the more pensive moments to create the scene you descibed in your post-- really effective. Your music, to me, has what I can only describe as a "cool darkness" to it. It feel likes there's always something just a little dangerous lurking, an edginess that adds to the indviduality of your work.

Well done again!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    .... Very interesting....
    Trent

This is usually the keywords that mean, I got to write something and don't know what to say.lol

Regardless, the rest I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Ron,

One of the most intriguing aspects of this forum is hearing the development and experiencing the direction individuals in our little community (well, NOT so little any more -- which is great!) take with each of the posts they offer.

I have to reiterate that I really, REALLY like your stuff and the direction I hear you going with each of your offerings -- you've been a tremendous addition to the forum... And I have to say that I think this may be my favorite of yours so far! The moods you are conveying are clearly stated through the compositional devices you're incorporating in all of your pieces, and the creative thoughtfulness with which you do so.

In this movement, the dance-like sections and interjections are balanced with the more pensive moments to create the scene you descibed in your post-- really effective. Your music, to me, has what I can only describe as a "cool darkness" to it. It feel likes there's always something just a little dangerous lurking, an edginess that adds to the indviduality of your work.

Well done again!

Danny
    Danny

Higher in this thread is Michael and he was the one that introduced me to this site for which I have thanked him many a time.

I love the term "Cool Darkness". This piece was easy for me to keep that undercurrent of edginess in it simply because that is the way my music usually is. This one was harder because I tried to hide most of that in here.

This piece is also very tonal for me which is neither here nor there just not my usual style.

I really feel welcome here due to guys like you and others.

Thanks guys

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Trent

This is usually the keywords that mean, I got to write something and don't know what to say.lol
    (Oh oh, he broke the code. Think fast…)

No, of course that isn’t what it means. It means, well, you know, that I find it, uhm, well, intersting.

Lol

Actually, when I listen on the forum, I don’t know what to say 95% of the time. I want to say something, particularly if I liked what I heard, but formulating a response….

There are times I’ll listen 4 or 5 times (sometimes 10 or 12!) and never respond because I can’t think of anything to say. I want to say something, if for no other reason than I like people to acknowledge they listened even if they don’t have a whole lot to say.

That being said, I always find your music interesting. Wait, that didn’t come out right. Seriously I always like listening to your music. It is never run-of-the-mill; there is always something that goes a little beyond.
    Trent P. McDonald

ROFL

Trent

I know exactly what you mean. You don't want to sound contrite or like your just putting down something for the sake of doing it.

I didn't mean for you to have to respond again, but I am very glad you did. I still have a smile on my face!!!

Thank you

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast