• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Have The Answer....!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking I Have The Answer....!!!!!

I'm so fascinated by the continous discussion about theory...always the same old story?

NOOOO....always a new one!

This time I open my own, in a new provocative and autobiographic way:

- you may be a talented musician with compositional attitude or not.

- you may have a large and complete knowledge and theory based technic or not.

The two things have nothing to do one with the other.

I've a large amount of knowledge, but I'm not a talented musician, because my music was never providing me with a universal success (nor a job...;-).
    If some of my works sound fine, is probably due to the wide amount of technical knowledge i have.

Beach (R.Ferrari) is a very talented musician. but he has a very low theorethical and technical education. he is so talented that his music is quite nice even if it's not made with master technic.

Imagine what R.Ferrari should do, if he had my knowledge and my technic...

You don't? I do. Just think to Mozart, or simply to J. Whiliams (one the genius of ethernal music, the other the genius of popular music and money making. both talented and educated musicians...)

Re: I Have The Answer....!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I'm so fascinated by the continous discussion about theory...always the same old story?....

I've a large amount of knowledge, but I'm not a talented musician, because my music was never providing me with a universal success (nor a job...;-).
    If some of my works sound fine, is probably due to the wide amount of technical knowledge i have.
    Fabio,

I think you underestimate yourself. You have been here several years and we have all witnessed your immense talent. You are one of the best on the forum - a truly amazing talent!

Beach (R.Ferrari) is a very talented musician. but he has a very low theorethical and technical education. he is so talented that his music is quite nice even if it's not made with master technic.
    Roberto has such a gift and his music comes from the heart. I am in awe of the music he makes. He shows us that someone with lesser technical skills can make great music (although Roberto is a scientist). But someone with great technical skills can make great music too. The wonderful thing about music is that it can come from both sides of the brain.

Imagine what R.Ferrari should do, if he had my knowledge and my technic...
    I am imagining.....

Happy Holidays, my friend

Gary Garritan

PS: Does both of you being Italian have anything to do with it?

What hope for us mere mortals who have neither then??

Yes, you do underestimate yourself there Fabio.

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    Yes, you do underestimate yourself there Fabio.
    I third that motion. Or maybe fourth it, since Alan pretty much said the same thing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Yes that was exactly what I was saying, albeit obliquely

but I'm not a talented musician, because my music was never providing me with a universal success (nor a job...;-).
    I wouldn't say "success" or a job is a measure of talent... I'd say:

- you may be a talented musician with compositional attitude or not.

- you may have a large and complete knowledge and theory based technic or not.

- you may gain music-related fame, money, or a job

The three things have nothing to do one with the other.

Although "talent" seems as undefinable as "good music".
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Red face Re: I Have The Answer....!!!!!

Thanks everybody for kind words, even if I didn't write the post to receive praise, but really to joke a little with the theory vs. talent role play.

I really believe what Sean say so well. I really recommend to study music: if you have talent you will be a master. If you don't have talent you will be better anyway.

The dream of talented people producing revolution and/or masterpieces without any technic is as nice and poetic as fake and unreal.
    (for instance Roberto is an intelligent scientist and researcher, he used his intellectual strenght for mastering technology and expressing the sensible wonderful creativity the nature sent as a gift).

But studying is not enough to become a good composer, and being a good composer is not enough to make money...

I think the discussion is much easier when money is removed from the picture. Nothing wrong with money (I like it too!), but we must remember that many important works were written by composers who were not financially succesful. I'm equally sure that many composers have made a lot of money who will never be remembered.

I agree in general principal to your idea. The best possible recipe for a good composer contains both theoretical knowledge and natural talent. I would throw in discipline, a good ear, and lots of time to write. If one has all of these things, chances are good that some very good music will be written.

Even as each of these elements adds to the probability of ones success, some people are so extraordinarily good at one or two of them that they manage to give us something amazing anyway.

I am reminded of the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore. It is full of the art of untrained individuals (usually reclusive eccentrics, I think), and has a rotating exhibit of some of the most marvelous art I have encountered. It makes one marvel at the potential of the human brain.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Even as each of these elements adds to the probability of ones success, some people are so extraordinarily good at one or two of them that they manage to give us something amazing anyway.
    I doubt the "probability of success" is so concretely dependent on such things... if you truly want success you might as well play the lottery and forget about talent and knowledge (depending of course on how you define "success" ... but I think many artists in general seek a level of fame and fortune that talent and knowledge have little to do with).

And I think in this context (composing) the word "talent" is so subjective it's just about meaningless...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum