• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upgrading to a New Computer

Share/Bookmark

Question Upgrading to a New Computer

Hi everyone! I'm a new user of GPO, and it is an AMAZING program. I have it running on my old DELL machine with XP and only 512 MB of RAM. Nope, I can't load a full orchestra, but I have still been able to use about four or five instruments all playing together without too many hiccups.

Needless to say, though, if I want to get serious about using GPO in my audio recordings, it's time to upgrade my computer. I have my sights set on the DELL Inspiron 1720 Notebook, Vista Premium, 2.0 GHz Intel Dual Core Processor, 128MB NVidia Graphics Card to take the memory consumption of the Aero interface away from the main memory, 2GB of RAM, and a 120GB Hard Drive at 7200RPM.

I want to go with the notebook instead of a desktop for portability. When I'm home, it will just plug into a large monitor and keyboard, and get power from the wall outlet. When I'm on the road, I can use it live in performance. I also have an idea of using GPO at my church. The church organ has MIDI ports, and I think both keyboards, along with the pedals, may be set to individual MIDI channels, allowing the organist to play three GPO instruments at the same time!!

So my question for anyone out there is... am I on the right track? Will GPO work with Vista and can I count on a notebook to handle the same demanding audio tasks that a desktop would? I like to record a lot of music or just goof around with standalone VSTs for hours. What DAWs will work well with Vista and GPO?

Thanks for your help!
    Josh

Re: Upgrading to a New Computer

Do NOT get Vista. XP is still available, get it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    Do NOT get Vista. XP is still available, get it while you can.
    Seconded.

That said, I'm running Garritan stuff (KP2 versions) with Sonar 7 on a laptop with Vista Premium without many issues. It just took a while to get it this way.

If you can afford an IBM/Lenovo, or one of Dell's business models (Latitude?), get that. It will be a more stable system with higher quality components.

Reegs

Those are more expensive computers, and they have a lot of bells and whistles you can't really take away to lower the price. But I'll take your recommendations and see what I can do. Thanks. Any more suggestions are welcome. Why are GPO/Kotakt and Vista still butting heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jnday
    ... Why are GPO/Kotakt and Vista still butting heads?
    Ask microsoft lol

Go Back to forum