• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Post in a LONG While

Cool My First Post in a LONG While

Hello all,

i have not posted anything in the listening room for a long time. recently i moved from virginia beach to ann arbor, MI and i have been trying to get my life back on track due to the move. living in an apartment that has so many problems its almost comical and not being able to find a job has begun to take its toll on me and if it wasn't for my music, my girlfriend, and playing basketball at the Y (i love basketball) i probably would have been in the loony bin by now.

i realize that i haven't been a good participant in the listening room as of late, so i don't expect too many comments, but if it means anything i have been listening - i just have not had ANY time to write back, and i apologize. hopefully when i get going again i'll be able to throw my two cents in more often.

well anyway, on to the music. the first is a piece i posted a while back titled "Letting Go" that was partially complete but i have since finished it so i'm giving it a post. Its almost all GPO, but the Strad and Gof make a small appearance and i also used a little bit of my Apple Jam Packs strings that came with Logic Studio to add some depth. this was the piece that prompted me to start that thread on final mixes - which i must say completely changed the way i mix everything now (thanks to everyone who participated especially Randy and Dan). unfortunately, i dug a hole too deep to get out of and left it the way it was.

Letting Go
    or just the .mp3 file:

this second piece is just generic suspense music that i've been working on. its GPO, Gof and Strad with more Apple Jam Packs. i tried to apply all the things i learned from the mixing tutorial, and boy did it make a difference - from pre-mixing that is (thanks again everyone) its not finished, but with all the important things i have to worry about (ie., getting a JOB!!!) its probably going to stay this way for a really long time.

or just the .mp3 file:

Sorry for boring everyone with this chapter in my life, but thanks in advance for listening.
    Last edited by keithjfuller; 12-19-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Links
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: My First Post in a LONG While

Keith I have just finished listening to the first of the two and I think it is marvellous. Congratulations on this. Very uplifting and engaging.

I can really sympathise on the job front - I have just had a year of being unemployed with five mouths to feed and it is a terrible time. I ended up starting my own consultancy and was fortunate enough to pick up a good project for Qantas (IT).

It is a scary proposition though. I wish you well.

This is really lovely - thanks for reminding us of your work. Very nice writing using small motives and spare gestures that add up to a large sound with an emotional punch. Nice climax, as well.

Hope the job front opens a good door for you, soon. At least your creative drive is still intact! And doing well, from the sound of it.

Welcome back - hope you can stick around!

Best wishes for the holidays.
    Ron Pearl

A very nice reflective piece. I can almost hear words for it. Does it have words (it should). Letting Go, moving on, making room for new and never looking back.

I like the way you treat the material. A very tender approach in using the orchestra.

Thanks for sharing. Please stop by soon...
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi, Keith

What a fabulous, deeply meaningful post - both your incredibly expressive and Gorgeously produced music, and the personal letter you've sent to us.

I heard both pieces - Actually I heard "Suspense" first, feeling it could be a good "curtain raiser" before the main act, and I was right. GReat action/suspense cue, muscular and succinct, no flab, all punch--and great.

Then the very stirring first piece--You have no title? --I'm in awe and actually, very moved by the depth of feeling in this.

--If I managed to be helpful on your thread about mixing, I'm very glad to hear it, but as always, it's what we Do with information which matters. Sounds to me like you are in the stratosphere of "computer music" technique - I applaud you long and loudly.

Randy B.

Suspense is full of....well, suspense.

Very cinematic in feel and texture.

The first piece is very well thought out and executed. The rendering is beautiful.

welcome back and good luck with all

Alan - thanks for the encouraging words. i'm glad things worked out for you, and hopefully they will for me. i'm sure they will, its just that when you're in a desperate situation its near impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

rpearl - thanks for noticing the ending. i spent a lot of time on it and its probably my favorite part of the whole piece.

wrayer - the piece is titled letting go, and its not really about anything. its more just about the mood of letting go. its hard, but then you think of the good that it was and leave feeling happy, so i wrote it in that order (or tried to at least)

rbowser - thanks for listening to both. i had a lot of fun with the suspense piece. lots of weird noises and i was just able to have fun with it. and also thanks for your kind words. your mixing tips were priceless. thanks again.

rolifer - thanks for listening. i'm not too happy with the rendering of the first. as i said, i got all the mixing info after i completed the piece and i was in too deep to fix it which is why i left it (but i'm glad you liked it). the suspense piece is where i employed the nice little tricks i learned and i'm very happy with the way it turn out. its nowhere near perfect, but it is a vast improvement to any of my previous work.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Wilton, NH

Welcome back. I liked them both. Very cinematic in different ways. Of course, I liked the suspence one the best. There are some jazzy overtones to it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Welcome back and thankyou for posting! I listened to them in posted order, and I must say, wonderful! I love the way the first grows out of such a seemingly simple idea, and the clarinet line is beautiful, and all very well rendered! And what can I say about suspense? suspensiful! love those fast trumpet lines, again very nicely rendered! Perhaps this could be developed a bit further? It feels as if you ended early...

good luck with the job hunting.

The best antidote to life's vicissitudes, Keith, is music;
    and it's great to have you back with us. Welcome home.

Absolutely gorgeous, cinematic, symphonic writing and
    orchestrating in Letting Go. But beyond the craft, the
    thought process in this... it seems like you got fairly
    naked, psychologically, in it, which is how some of the
    finest writing arises.

Suspense is a hell of a fun ride, nice job on that!

Get on back here with more, Keith. It's not only good
    for you, it's good for our ears!

All my best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast