• Register
  • Help

Topic: Specific differences between the Steinway Sample set and the Steinway in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Specific differences between the Steinway Sample set and the Steinway in GPO

This is a question for Gary and the staff, I suppose, but could you possibly explain the process that went into recording the Steinway in GPO? I've read the in-depth process about the Steinway sample set that is about to be released, and I'd like to pin-point all of the differences.

I know that the new Steinway set is truly a premium sample compared to the GPO one, and provides several mic angles, and many other excellent features. What can one not do on the GPO Steinway, playing through a standard 88-key midi controlled with pedals, that they could do with the full premium Steinway library? Are the samples themselves just of better quality?

I'm not a real piano player. I've just been learning, and so I don't think that I really would need a full beautiful sounding Steinway sample set, it wouldn't be worth it for my current playing ability. I really would love to get it some day, though, and I would just like to know all about the improvement over the GPO version (I know there must be much improvement, even though the first one is excellent).

Can you tell that I'm new to Garritan libraries?

Re: Specific differences between the Steinway Sample set and the Steinway in GPO

The new Steinway and GPO Steinway are different pianos. The GPO piano only has 2 velocity layers versus the large amount of layers in the new Steinway. I'm not quite sure how many layers are going to be used in the final release.

The new steinway has multiple perspectives. The perspectives are different sets of microphones in different locations such as under the lid, player position, out in the audience, etc.

It includes things such as instrument resonance, soft pedal, sympathetic resonance, mechanical noise which are user adjustable.

These are just a few of the differences.

Jim

Re: Specific differences between the Steinway Sample set and the Steinway in GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    The new Steinway and GPO Steinway are different pianos. The GPO piano only has 2 velocity layers versus the large amount of layers in the new Steinway. I'm not quite sure how many layers are going to be used in the final release.

The new steinway has multiple perspectives. The perspectives are different sets of microphones in different locations such as under the lid, player position, out in the audience, etc.

It includes things such as instrument resonance, soft pedal, sympathetic resonance, mechanical noise which are user adjustable.

These are just a few of the differences.

Jim
    Excellent, just what I was wanting to know.

So with the 2 layers of velocity on the GPO Steinway, does that refer to the attack of the key? So I have either hard or soft, but no in-between?

Sonare Coeli,

if you have an instrument with *one* velocity layer this means that if you hit the same note, always the same sample will be played. However, if you hit harder (= bigger velocity), the sample will be played louder, if you hit lesser the sample will be played softer.

If you have an instrument with *two* velocity layers another sample will be played for bigger velocities. The advantage is that not only the volume but also the sound changes. Usually instrument sounds get brighter when they are played louder - but still we only have two variations.

The more velocity layers an instrument has, the more differentiated the sound changes, but it also costs more harddisk place and computer power.

That being said I have used the GPO Steinway for some really nice sounds, so it is really useable. However the new Garritan Steinway will probably have a new dimension of realism and flexibility.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Sonare Coeli,

if you have an instrument with *one* velocity layer this means that if you hit the same note, always the same sample will be played. However, if you hit harder (= bigger velocity), the sample will be played louder, if you hit lesser the sample will be played softer.

If you have an instrument with *two* velocity layers another sample will be played for bigger velocities. The advantage is that not only the volume but also the sound changes. Usually instrument sounds get brighter when they are played louder - but still we only have two variations.

The more velocity layers an instrument has, the more differentiated the sound changes, but it also costs more harddisk place and computer power.

That being said I have used the GPO Steinway for some really nice sounds, so it is really useable. However the new Garritan Steinway will probably have a new dimension of realism and flexibility.
    Thank you very much, that cleared a lot up for me. I may end up saving for the Steinway, it really does sound like it will be incredible.

I recall gradated pedals was mentioned as well before. Ie the sustain/soft pedals would/could be under continuous controller rather than on/off. If that isn't true, I am sorry. Please add to release 2!

The GPO Steinway has more than 2 layers programmed. There are virtual layers with filtering used. This is why you don't hear a sudden jump between the 2 velocity layers. If I remember correctly, their are 5 different layers.

Jim

Go Back to forum