• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI/Audio interface

Share/Bookmark

MIDI/Audio interface

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy the M-Audio midi controller,

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ro88-main.html

I was wondering what MIDI/Audio interface ( preferably small size) I must buy to get a zero-latency with my midi keyboard and also to be able record with my RODE NTK Microphone into my sequecer.

I am a total newbie in the hardware subject. I have found a good deal on MOTU 828 Firewire ( about 200 dollars).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Pavilion zv6000
    WinXP-Pro. 1.2GB RM+600GB HDD
    Software: Finale 2007c, Band-In-A-Box, Garritan JABB, GPO, Nuendo 3, Sound Forge 8, NI-Komplete 5
    Keyboards: Roland Fantom X8, Creative PC-MIDI keyboard
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Re: MIDI/Audio interface

I use 2 of those as they are awesome performers.

I use the 3msec range that my Scope DSP cards have, and the MIDI controls of that app are second to none.

Simple rigtht click on any parameter in the Scope Platfrom, then twist a knob on the KS88, and Voila it is memorized in the preset and Project.

Scope cards are less expensive that RME's, but give you incredible DSP based 1:1 analog emulations, a Hammond B3 model w/ rotary doppler effect, and some incredible effects, all for less than a card that just amplfies your signals.

www.soniccore.de

This platform keeps evolving, and is the choice of several movie scores as well. Gladiator, was the last one. Media Ventures are proud of their Scope GigaDAW's. And many others here as well.

www.planetz.com
    JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live
    Sorry, I didn't get what you are referring to.

I use the 3msec range that my Scope DSP cards have, and the MIDI controls of that app are second to none.

Simple rigtht click on any parameter in the Scope Platfrom, then twist a knob on the KS88, and Voila it is memorized in the preset and Project.

www.planetz.com
    Do I need to get a DSP card? As I said, All i need is connecting my M-Audio controller and my NTK microphone to my laptop to record separtely in Nuendo.
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Sorry,

I assumed you needed a MIDI / audio soundcard combo.

I have the KS88's though, and they do an incredible amount of control for external synths, etc. The transport buttons for sequencer apps., or tape, are perfectly placed above the wheels. Very nice indeed.
    JimmyV

Scope cards are less expensive that RME's, but give you incredible DSP based 1:1 analog emulations, a Hammond B3 model w/ rotary doppler effect, and some incredible effects, all for less than a card that just amplfies your signals.

www.soniccore.de

This platform keeps evolving, and is the choice of several movie scores as well. Gladiator, was the last one. Media Ventures are proud of their Scope GigaDAW's. And many others here as well.

www.planetz.com
    Jimmy,

do you know by chance whether a Soniccore card on a master PC can be synchronized with RME Hammerfall cards on slave PCs via ADAT?

PS.: I cannot figure out what you mean by KS88. A keyboard?

Thanks
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Arrow Re: MIDI/Audio interface

Yes to the KS88. It's M Audio's Keystation Pro USB 88.

The action is passable. Afterall I am having to cover synths, strings, horns, pianos, ep's, clavinet, B3, etc. And these weigh very little. But their controls are great if you use the MIDI for MIDI, and disable the USB port in the device manager of your PC. This gives the fast PCI MIDI and allows the USB just to power the device.

www.planetz.com

This forum is a serious knowledge base for DSP platforms, especially Scope.
    I know very little about other sound cards though, as I have never used anything other than Scope DSP cards since the early Giga days. I had no management or road crew anymore, and gave up much of my hardware to use these. They did a fine job of emulating analog hardware synths, except for big juicy monophonic Moog, and Oberheim leads, so that's the only reason I have any analog hardware onstage, just for that big fat lead sound.

I am almost certain that you can do whatever you need w/ these cards. I still route my hardware delays and reverbs via AES / EBU I/O's. They accomplished that easily back in '99. Funny how Steinberg and others convinced everyone this was a new feature. Yeah for them it was, not for Creamware / Sonicore.

I have several friends who still use the P3 Tualatins w/ Scope cards live !!

Go to the Z for further info though, as I consider this a sample based forum. Over there we post pics of gear, projects, etc. Sometimes some really fine trim too. It's all good.

I look forward to using Gigastudio 4 to host VSTi's and still will be using these ancient, fierce bastards, as they are going to be Vista, and XP64 soon. They have been w/Mac & Pc for a while.

These Dogs Really Hunt.
    JimmyV

It's a great buy at $399. I wish I could have one but I don't have the room.

Go Back to forum