• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Windows XP SP3

Share/Bookmark

Windows XP SP3

Microsoft yesterday quietly dished out a beta version of its Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), but also continued to bang the less-than-convincing "Vista is better for you" drum.

By the time a full version of the update arrives, expected in the first half of 2008, it will have been nearly four years since Windows XP SP2 was made available for download.

Redmond had pushed back the final XP service pack release several times as it focused on attempting to iron out buggy issues with its little-used operating system, Vista.

Unsurprisingly, the software giant is hoping that as many users as possible choose to switch over to its latest OS rather than hold out for SP3, even though the release of Vista SP1 remains months away with a launch expected around the first quarter of next year.

Underlying the firm's desire to push up Vista sales and woo users away from XP, Microsoft said in a statement: "Windows XP SP3 does not bring significant portions of Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP."

It said the latest XP update will come bundled with security fixes and will be compatible with the Network Access Protection functionality of Windows Server 2008.

For the forseeable future I'm gonna stick with XP and will likely never move to Vista.

Re: Windows XP SP3

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan
    For the forseeable future I'm gonna stick with XP and will likely never move to Vista.
    I'm with ya. I keep telling everyone to avoid Vista. Microsoft has no focus. After many delays and changing their minds at least 3 times about what Vista should be, they totally missed the boat.

Tony,

I agree but must say: the musicindustrie has slept 20 years and more too.

Why is there no own OS on the market, only for musicans who want to make only music at their computers?

Do I need to write letters, play games or do this and that at my musiccomputer?

Some weeks ago a friend told me that one company now is working on it. Very late, but better late than never...

I am looking forward to it.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I'm still probably going to move to Vista when SP1 comes out. From what I heard about SP1 RC, it fixes alot of the "beta-like" problems in Vista. But, if it still sucks, I'll go back to XP (or better yet, build a Hackintosh).

One the question about a musician only OS, since there are countless Destros of Linux, why not make a version of Linux for musicians?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Quote Originally Posted by raz.bari.88
    .....One the question about a musician only OS, since there are countless Destros of Linux, why not make a version of Linux for musicians?
    Perhaps it is a Linux based version?! Don`t know.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

SP3 is allegedly giving testers up to 10% increase on performance (at least on MS-Office based tests). Enough for one more GPO Instance maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan
    They'll get me to move only when they disable the authorisation server for XP.

My wife's laptop runs Vista while I continue to use XP SP2 on my main work station. If I do upgrade to Vista, it would be to the 64 system for no other reason than for my computer to acknowledge a 4GB of my RAM. Beyond that, I find most of Vista's interface to annoy me more than anything. I'm sure I could find ways to make it closer to what I'm used to, but since it's not the computer I use all the time, I don't bother.

That said, until there is a compelling reason to move up to Vista, it would be absolute insanity to do it now. Without my computer, I'm out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by raz.bari.88
    One the question about a musician only OS, since there are countless Destros of Linux, why not make a version of Linux for musicians?
    Check out http://www.ferventsoftware.com/
    This is a commercial distro, but the various components are all freely available and someone with Linux know how can cobble together a fully functioning studio using any distro out there.

This was my first real foray into the computer music world, using Rosegarden for scoring and sequencing. In those early days, JACK was still in its infancy and not really viable, though I do hear that it is a lot more stable and useable now.

There are also several projuects which attempt to bring VST functionality to Linux.

The real problem is that most commercial DAW software is OSX or Windows based only. Some people have had success in running a lot of apps under WINE (including Finale).

Cheers...

Daz :0)

I'm sorry, but Windows Vista is straight wack in my opinion. Everything I have for composition is incompatable with that piece of crap. Thank God I still have STABLE XP Professional SP2
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Go Back to forum