• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midikeys for "midi-select" method?

Share/Bookmark

Midikeys for "midi-select" method?

I'm about to buy a new midicontroller keyboard, however to switch between my articulations of the same instrument I am using the "midi select" method of setting the miditrack to omni and assigning each note to the correct midi channel manually or chunkwise. I don't use separate tracks for each articulation. To me, the flute track is where the flute is. Peroid.

Previously, with HW sound modules, each track in the seq was set to a specific MIDI channel, and switching the selection to another track thus automatically redirected the keystrokes to the correct recieveing source. But with samples and many articulations of the same instrument - all determined by the sender channel and not the sequencer redirection - this may be more complicated.

Since I live in a small hick town I have difficulties of testing hands on, I need to know if a USB hooked up midikeyboard will be able to "send" to the correct midi channel of my sampleplayer, if the selected track in my seq is set to omni.
    I'm told that in many instances this may not work as planned and I should be careful. My keyboards of interest are what most of us looks at for general usage and a < $1000 budget so besides the above functionality there are no other immediate concerns.

What are your experiences about this kind of MIDI sending needs?
    Thanks for any feedback
    /T.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Re: Midikeys for "midi-select" method?

Hi.
    I also work in this way, and have setup k2 templates in cubase to accomodate 16 articulations pr midi port, via a "all" or "omni" midi channel.

But your question seems a bit unclear, when a channel is in omni, it recieves on all 16 channels, so its simply a question of wich channel you controller keyboard is sending on.

All Midi controllers should be able to select between the elementary 16 channels, and possibly more if it has multiple outputs.
    Or where you thinking in terms of different keyzones with different channels at once?

I guess its pretty striaghtforward, if the specs say its got multiple out ports, and x number of assignable keyzones, then thats what its got.

But maybe i didnt understand your question completely, but it seems to me, that you want to ba able to set the controller to send on your channel of choice, than going thru the omni channel in your daw directed to the right instrument track in your sampler.

I have never come across a midi keyboard that does not allow you to set the midi channel it sends on....that would be quite strange.

Btw, if you are a cubase or nuendo user, its a greaty visual help to set the midi track to "sort color by channel" so now you even get a visual representation of wich note goes to what articulation, and realy gives you a nice overwiev of things.

Good luck then, finding a good midi keyboard in hicksville, and than god for the www eh? :P

Hi Clone, thanx for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    when a channel is in omni, it recieves on all 16 channels, so its simply a question of wich channel you controller keyboard is sending on.
    Yes this is what I was hoping for. I'm glad to hear this.
    However, I have been reached by many indications that a keyboard hooked up via a MIDI interface routine through USB doesn't always allow this. Presumable this would be because 1. USB is a new way and in new things they usually cut away things considered obsolete, and 2. they assume that anybody wanting full flexibility would "use a more sophisticated and flexible MIDI hookup than 1 little keyboard plugged directly into the computer via USB", and that manual setting of midi send channel on the keyboard would only be valid for any optional DIN-5 midi outs on the keyboard.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

no, i dont think so.
    Midi is midi, i dont think they modified the basic midi protocol just becouse its transmitting on a USB port.

But you should check into that before you buy it anyway, just to be sure.

Go Back to forum