• Register
  • Help

Topic: General Midi Files

Share/Bookmark

General Midi Files

I posted this question elsewhere after an introducing myself, but think it got buried.

I use JABB/GPO with Band in a Box, but it reloads three times every time I open the DXI and change an instrument level and exit back to BIAB. After doing this a couple times, it causes fatal memory problems. With power tracks pro it only reloads once, so that is more workable.

Is there a way to use JABB/GPO stand alone with .mid files? That would make life a whole lot easier.

Thanks,

Marshall

Re: General Midi Files

Both JABB and GPO come with stand-alone players, but those are meant for auditioning isntruments and won't play midi files. If you're using KP1 then you can route midi from a host playing the midi file using GPOStudio. You can download that free from Gary's site. Or if you use KP2 you don't need anything additional as far as I know, just route through the stand-alone player. Only problem with this method if you're using the stand-alone, is that there is no easy way to record the output. Whereas GPO studio (which works with JABB also) there is a recording function. I'm sure there are more knowledgable people who would be able to give you more information.

Good luck !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradshawm
    I posted this question elsewhere after an introducing myself, but think it got buried.

I use JABB/GPO with Band in a Box, but it reloads three times every time I open the DXI and change an instrument level and exit back to BIAB. After doing this a couple times, it causes fatal memory problems. With power tracks pro it only reloads once, so that is more workable.

Is there a way to use JABB/GPO stand alone with .mid files? That would make life a whole lot easier.

Thanks,

Marshall
    Marshall,
    The K2 version's of JABB/GPO work well standalone with Band in a Box
    You will need virtual midi port software such as Maple Virtual Midi Maple Midi
    Load the K2 player before BIAB, In BIAB's Midi / Audio Driver Set Up, select one of the Maple Midi Out Ports. In K2's Audio Midi Setup (under the File menu) set the cooresponding Maple Midi In Port to ON. You can also use a VST host such as Bidule, VSTACK the free VSTHost and numerous others to host the K2 player routed from BIAB the same way. VST hosts give the advantage of recording and mixing.

Hope this helps

MMOSC and LouisD,

Thank you both for your help. I followed your recommendations for loading the Maple Midi, and it worked like a charm . Now I can adjust settings while listening to the file at the same time. I had some problems with static, but played with the latency and a simple shift fro 2 to 7 fixed it.

Thanks again.

Marshall
    Last edited by Bradshawm; 12-20-2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed my own problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bradshawm
    MMOSC and LouisD,

Thank you both for your help. I followed your recommendations for loading the Maple Midi, and it worked like a charm . Now I can adjust settings while listening to the file at the same time. I had some problems with static, but played with the latency and a simple shift fro 2 to 7 fixed it.

Thanks again.
    Marshall

Glad to hear everything is working for you now. JABB & BIAB are perfect together

BTW - check out the performance patches avaiable at the link below. They'll save you a lot of time getting the JABB library to come to life.

Go Back to forum