• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Song for Ostenato-Lovers

A Song for Ostenato-Lovers

Alright, so this is it. I finally finished Memories: A Medly from the Past. I didn't use a specific melody for the finale; instead, I used more of a writing style I have tried to reach in the past. Here's a bit of background:

I've always been trying to reach a certain sound with my writing; basically, I've wanted to create a sound that lets the imagination really expand. Now, I don't know if I've accomplished this in Part III, but this is as close as I've ever been, and it's because I've taken all the ideas I've written in the past and combined it into one 3-minute movement. Ostenatos have been a very strong base for me, and are really what allowed me to give direction and structure to my writing, rather than something completely, well...awkward. (I'd rather not go into details ) Along with that, I add a melody on top, and behind both of those, I add little snippets of stuff that add color here and there. The idea is to create an effect where you get the whole picture, but in the background there are all these things going on, that if you don't look past the big picture, you miss half of the good stuff... So, I recommend listening to the final movement a little louder than you would listen to Parts I and II. What I would do, is listen to parts I and II at a comfortable volume, then, for part III, increase it by abotu 10-25%.

-Note: The Celesta in part III is the only non-GPO instrument. This is also my first time experimenting with GPO voice in an orchestral work.

Well, I hope I described the song accurately, and I hope it lives up to the description I have given it. Thanks for listening!!!

Memories: A Medly from the Past
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=hi

Memories: A Medly from the Past II
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5969144&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5969144&q=hi

Memories: A Medly from the Past Part III
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6089851&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6089851&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: A Song for Ostenato-Lovers

sanyarem -

Nice job!

I think that this is the first time that I've listened to any of the works you may have shared here. I listened to all three. . . .

Very, very nice! Good work with sequencing the orchestration! It's obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into this project by how nice it sounds. Thank you very much for sharing your music! It was a wonderful experience!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: A Song for Ostenato-Lovers

Excellent sanyarem! I think you did a very impressive job on giving just the right amount of textural variation and development blended into the ostenato... if i said that right, it sounds GREAT!

Hello, sanyarem

You are certainly a consistently interesting person to tune into here on the Forum.

I've really been enjoying your "Memories" posts - And I have to say this final section, your part three is a glistening jewel in the crown to what's gone before.

I admire your use of pulse in this. Music which we can biologically respond to, since we are heart beat driven creatures--to me that's such an important element of music.

It's brief!--your 3rd movement, but very effective.

Ostinato lover? lol--Well, sure--And I'm a Chord lover, and a Melody lover - I love it all.

I appreciate your attempt to verbalize some of your intentions with this piece as a whole - I feel what you've done stands on its own, with no need to really hope or expect other people to Truly "get" what was going on in your head as you did it.

Your instructions to listen to part 3 at a higher volume than the other two - That's part of your job as sound engineer, when you switch hats and finish up the technical aspects of doing your final mixes. If you want part 3 to be louder - then make it proportionally louder in the actual mix, perhaps slightly lowering the volume of the first 2 movements. Then the whole piece will play out the way you want, without the listener needing to adjust his volume knob.

I'm very impressed - Thanks for letting us hear!

Randy B.

This is an excellent conclusion to your memories. Although, that really doesn't sound correct. If your memories are over, than I guess you wouldn't be around.

The textures are woven together crisply and the motives are blended well.

Now it's time to start a new work of art.

Well done

Thanks guys for your comments!

efiebke- I'm glad you liked your first experience listening to my music! As far as time and effort? Well, ya the planning took a while, the most time in fact, but the actual writing went fairly quickly because I had half of the music already written All that was required was a little bit of re-orchestration for different instrumentation, along with a few minor adjustments for my changing taste in writing.

Leaf- those are really pretty words, if you don't mind, I'd like to use them sometime I tried not to get redundant with the ostenatos, and I love putting contrasting sections right next to each other, which is probably apparent in all of my music, so I used about 5 or 6 different sections of ostenatos in the final movement alone, I have no idea how many I used in the entire piece...probably around 12-20.

rbowser- It makes me so happy that you find my consistently interesting. As far as volume goes... I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I was just so excited to have finished it, I wanted to post it before I found something really bad in it... so I kind of had a brain-fart on that.

rolifer- haha, ya I considered leaving the finale hanging, to imply that the memories weren't actually "over." But, I guess this way it makes for a better laugh! And an extra thanks for considering this art! I've always considered composing an art, but I never really considered my music an actual "art-work." not to say I thought they sucked, I guess it just never crossed my mind.

Thanks everyone for commenting and listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Very much enjoyed the finale (III) of this, sanyarem!
    What a rich tapestry of memory in this; and the
    orchestration in it, especially the well balanced use
    of the celesta (neither too much nor too little)...
    very well done.

Many congratulations on the completion of an
    outstanding achievement!

My best,

Go Back to forum