• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Topic: Namm 2008

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Namm 2008

    Hard to believe it's in 28 days!!....Sigh.....So close to Christmas......

  2. #2

    Re: Namm 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    Hard to believe it's in 28 days!!....Sigh.....So close to Christmas......
    I wanted to go and see it for the first time this year, but my friend said it's a per invitation event. It's not like you buy a ticket and get in sort of thing. I don't understand though, why such a thing can't be a public thing for musicians?

  3. #3

    Re: Namm 2008

    NAMM is a convention specifically designed to allow product developers a chance to show off their new (and old) products to their business retailers. Some musicians get in with passes because they are sponsored by certain companies and such. But, the whole purpose of the event is so retailers can have face-time discussions with the people who create and supply product for their store shelves. Hopefully, that will lead to large deals (Like Guitar Center representatives securing a deal to sell a new type of guitar premiered at the show or something).

    Filling the already crowded floor with end users is not really the point of the show and distracts the developers somewhat from time they should be spending focusing on their retailers.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

    Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

  4. #4

    Re: Namm 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    NAMM is a convention specifically designed to allow product developers a chance to show off their new (and old) products to their business retailers. Some musicians get in with passes because they are sponsored by certain companies and such. But, the whole purpose of the event is so retailers can have face-time discussions with the people who create and supply product for their store shelves. Hopefully, that will lead to large deals (Like Guitar Center representatives securing a deal to sell a new type of guitar premiered at the show or something).

    Filling the already crowded floor with end users is not really the point of the show and distracts the developers somewhat from time they should be spending focusing on their retailers.
    I respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. We "end users" who attend are largely the ones that create the buzz about a product that makes it profitable for the retailers who carry it to do so.

    We are the best free advertising they could have.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

    www.jayasher.com

  5. #5

    Re: Namm 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    I respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. We "end users" who attend are largely the ones that create the buzz about a product that makes it profitable for the retailers who carry it to do so.

    We are the best free advertising they could have.
    That's exactly what i thought. I do understand that's gonna create a problem as far as accommadating lots of people in a limited space, but i believe for the most part we buy softwares, and such not because the guitar center rep said so! I would feel more comfortable investing on a product if "end users" tell me about their experience, because that's a true testimony to the product. I know most of my friends who spend tons of money over these things feel exactly the same. The product is useless if you didn't have the end users afterall.

  6. #6

    Re: Namm 2008

    Hey...where would we be without each other...?!

  7. #7

    Re: Namm 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    I respectfully disagree with your last paragraph. We "end users" who attend are largely the ones that create the buzz about a product that makes it profitable for the retailers who carry it to do so.

    We are the best free advertising they could have.
    Believe me Jay...I am with you on that feeling. I try to find a way to go every year...but I also understand that this is not what the convention is designed for and that the developers in general would much rather have some one on one time with their retailers and let the buzz be generated with the attending press (which they probably have a bit more control over). And ultimately, it does not matter what we end users think...or what we can indirectly provide by being there. It only matters who NAMM wants to be there. And at the end of the day...they are making it harder and harder for end users to find a way in for the reason I gave.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

    Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

  8. #8

    Re: Namm 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    ...they are making it harder and harder for end users to find a way in for the reason I gave.
    http://www.thenammshow.com/


    A Word about Visitor Badges
    Because NAMM has a rich history rooted in the importance of family, a tradition at the trade shows has been that each employee attending the show for business reasons has also been allowed to invite a spouse or family member to be a part of the excitement of the show. Visitor badges are not for industry colleagues or friends.

  9. #9

    Re: Namm 2008

    Even though I'd like to go as well, I too understand why it's like it is....If I had to put the $$$ up these vendors have to pay and if you figured in EVERYTHING from traveling there,meals,hotel,product literature,impressive banners,video screens,rental space,etc,etc,etc....You better believe I'd want my moneys worth and let's face it, Even if you bought every product that company offered, it's still only 1 COPY....Even though they very much appreciate your support, NAMM is about the potential for moving large volumes of product and educating those that will sell that product to me....SO....While I'd LOVE to see it first hand....I also understand what it's really about....Does anyone know the MOST UP TO DATE Web page to keep track of NAMM products as they are introduced?....I usually watch Harmony Central to find out the latest info as it happens....Is there a better one?

  10. #10

    Re: Namm 2008

    It stands for North American Music Merchants show... so its meant for Merchants only. Usually Harmony Central and Sweetwater have pretty good reports on it.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •