• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello -new user

Share/Bookmark

Hello -new user

As suggested I'm making my first posting.

I'm new to virtual instruments having used Roland sound modules in the past. Music is my hobby and trying my hand at composing is great fun. I use Sibelius 5.1 now but started with version 2 and have recently purchased GPO and some other sound libraries.

When looking through the forums I discovered to my delight the Rimsky lessons from Principles of Orchestration and the presentation is great with added comments by Prof Belkin really useful I've just finished lesson 2.

On a historical note ( I showing my age now!) I was given Rimsky's book for being best-man at a friend's wedding back in July 1972. I read most of the book over the next year or so but of course had none of the tools that are available now to listen to the examples and I must admit most of what I read way back then has been forgotten. So to revisit this book in this online form is really fantastic.

Re: Hello -new user

Quote Originally Posted by phwh
    and I must admit most of what I read way back then has been forgotten. So to revisit this book in this online form is really antastic.

Yes, it's very easy to forget all this stuff over time. If you don't already own them, may I suggest you look at Adlers book on orchestration and also Alfred Blatter's book on the same. These are the two I always take with me.

I'm a newbie but I'll welcome you (in my defense, I do lurk a lot).

Also have the stack of Roland modules...spent many years with MOC-1, MSE-1, and (shudder?) D-110. Still have them hooked up, too, since I figured out how to get them to show up in Cubase.

Have the Blatter myself. And a smattering of more amateur-oriented books. Do wish I'd spent more than a semester or two on this back when I was in college!

Look forward to see what you do with GPO. I'm envious -- my copy is still in the mail!

phwh,
    welcome to Northern Sounds it's a great place.

Dan

Great to read replies. I'll look into the books suggested, but first I'll continue with Rimsky. I have Roland MSE1 & MOC1 modules which seemed great when I got them back in the early 1990s but not so compared to the modern libraries (GPO, East West & VSL etc). Perhaps now I can convince my wife I am actually writing real music!

Quote Originally Posted by phwh
    Perhaps now I can convince my wife I am actually writing real music!
    Yes- I tried that just the once myself.

.....my wife I mean - not yours.

Go Back to forum