• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB instruments sounds terrible in Kontakt 3.0.1?!

Share/Bookmark

JABB instruments sounds terrible in Kontakt 3.0.1?!

I'm running Kontakt 3 - and many of my Jazz and Big Band instruments have gone horribly wrong for some reason.

This is the sound of the tenor sax:
    http://www.moogiex.com/saxproblem.mp3

Here's a fretted bass guitar:
    http://www.moogiex.com/bassproblem.mp3

The drum sets work fine, but almost anything else sounds not like it should.

I also have Garritan Personal Orchestra, and those instruments sound fine. Is there some update or something I need to do?

Thanks for any help!
    Moogie X. Fashbaw
    www.moogiex.com
    www.youtube.com/jimlapbap

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core
    3 GB RAM
    Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Garritan Personal Orchestra (KP 2.2.4)
    Garritan Jazz & Big Band (KP 2.2.4)
    Kontakt 3.5.0
    Finale 2009 r.2
    Logic Express 8.0.2

----

When I think a core meltdown
    Will ruin my lovely day
    I just those fears into the engines
    And blast my troubles away

Re: JABB instruments sounds terrible in Kontakt 3.0.1?!

I would recommend using the Kontakt Player 2.2.3 instead of Kontakt 3 for JABB. I don't believe the programming is going to be updated for Kontakt 3.

Jim

I just found out that the disturbing noise came from three control: Air Flow (cc12), Key Click (cc13) and Flutter tongue (cc18). This may be because Kontakt 3 set these three volumes too high by default.

The immediate solution is to set these three control into small amount at the start of the sequencer track. It is time consuming because you need to set them every time you start the track.

Another less viable solution is to decrease these volumes in the instrument edit mode and then save the library into another folder, in case you need to roll back to the older version. By doing this requires you more hard disk space. Since I just upgrade from Kontakt 2 yesterday, I could only decrease the air flow and key click noise and not yet for flutter tongue using this method.

I am not really sure what new feature for Kontakt 3 yet as I will need to consult documentation, but it seems a wast of money if we have to go back to Kontakt 2.

Regards,

There are some backwards compatibility problems with K3, but I believe NI is working on a solution. Maybe the next update...?

I would still recommend using the Kontakt 2 Player with the Garritan libraries. There are many little changes in Kontakt 3 that can change the sound from the original programming. Use Kontakt 3 with libraries that are designed for it.

With the new ARIA player versions coming out, there won't be support for Kontakt 3.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    Another less viable solution is to decrease these volumes in the instrument edit mode and then save the library into another folder, in case you need to roll back to the older version.
    Okay, so it's bee more than a year since I posted this, but I'm still having the problem (I've been using Kontakt's instuments as substitute, but I REALLY need J&BB right now).

How exactly do I decrease the volume of key click/flutter tongue/etc.? I've been searching around in the patch, but I can't figure it out. Can someone help?

Thanks,
    Moogie X. Fashbaw
    www.moogiex.com

3 GB RAM

Kontakt 3.5.0
    Finale 2009 r.2
    Logic Express 8.0.2

----

Will ruin my lovely day

Moogie, I hope this helps you...

Dan,

Thanks for replying, but sorry, but that doesn't help me at all. I don't know what that window you posted is (is it in Kontakt 3?), how to get there, nor how to use that to change the volume of the various sounds that are causing the problems. I'm trying to figure out how to decrease the volume of the extra-musical sounds, and I don't know where to even begin.
    Moogie X. Fashbaw
    www.moogiex.com

3 GB RAM

Kontakt 3.5.0
    Finale 2009 r.2
    Logic Express 8.0.2

----

Will ruin my lovely day

Hey, Moogie,

Dan posted an image from the JABB documention, showing which CC's control which parameters. If your problem is indeed that K3 is setting the three CC's mentioned earlier too high by default, then the answer to set those three back low at the beginning of your track.

There are two ways to do this (I'm a Sonar user, but I think all the major DAW's have these similar features). One way is to insert CC-changes at the beginning of the track in your piano roll view. In Sonar, you would pick either CC12, 13 or 18 and place an event at the lowest level on the piano roll. Then repeat for the other two CC's.

The other method would be to insert a track envelope into your track for the appropriate CC-number, and set it to 1.

But, I have to say I'm with Haydn on this one. KP2 came with your JABB, and JABB is optimized to work with it. I would pull out the install disc, get KP2 up and running, and all your problems should disappear.

HI, Moogie - Old thread revived, I see, but you're still having problems?

Dan's chart is indeed the answer - the chart of what all the various MIDI controllers do with JABB.

"... It is time consuming because you need to set them every time you start the track..."

Well that would indeed be very time consuming. All MIDI data, including those which control your accidentally turned up Growl, air noise etc - those need to be part of your project. You record the data with the tracks, or if you're not using a keyboard, have them inserted by hand so they are part of the playback performance. No hassles ever more once you have what you want in your tracks.

Bringing those kind of effects up and down during a track help a lot towards getting a natural sound, but everything you had turned up in the MP3 sample was steady at full blast, so of course it was ugly.

Randy

Go Back to forum