• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yay! K3 runs on Linux

Share/Bookmark

Talking Yay! K3 runs on Linux

Hi,

I just installed the demo version of Kontakt 3 on my Linux machine and was pleasantly surprised that it works! After not being able to use the last couple of releases of K2 (only 2.1.1 would work), this is great news for me.

There are a handful of demo instruments and I must say they sound fantastic. Also, the interface improvements are quite nice. It seems to be stable, too, as far as I can tell after an hour of playing around.

Does anyone have experience with the newer versions of Service Center? I've had problems with K2 registration, but back then, I could still use the old Regstration Tool. If the current version works well enough to register K3 on Linux, then getting the upgrade is a no brainer for me...

Martin

Re: Yay! K3 runs on Linux

Is that a joke or what ????

SergeD

Not a joke!

You can run some Windows applications on Linux with Wine (http://winehq.org), but only on x86 hardware. Wine is an open source implementation of the Winows API, so Windows programs can (theoretically) access the same functionality as under Windows itself. In reality, many programs do not work very well with Wine, because the Windows API is very complex and there is a lot of undocumented behavior.

For VST plugins, there are a few hosts that also use Wine (e.g. dssi-vst, fst). I tested K3 with dssi-vst and it seems to work just fine.

The only question is: Will registration work? Don't wanna be stuck in Demo Mode...

Martin

In case anyone is interested: I went with it. Registration works like a charm. I am happy

Thanks for the link, i will for sure try it some day

SergeD

Hi Martin!

What soundcard are you using, and which distro? What latencies do you get?

Greetings
    Marc
    http://kurzfiler.sourceforge.net

Yea! Mahal has some good questions there.

And how are the performance in general compare to XP?

Hi,

I use UbuntuStudio with the realtime kernel on my desktop PC and my laptop. The desktop uses a M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI soundcard and I usually set a latency of 256 frames/period. On the laptop, I use a M-Audio Ozone (USB) with 128 frames/period.

I can't comment on Windows XP because I don't use it for any real work, but I consider the performance on linux to be "good enough".

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by klangwerk
    Hi,

I use UbuntuStudio with the realtime kernel on my desktop PC and my laptop. The desktop uses a M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI soundcard and I usually set a latency of 256 frames/period. On the laptop, I use a M-Audio Ozone (USB) with 128 frames/period.

I can't comment on Windows XP because I don't use it for any real work, but I consider the performance on linux to be "good enough".

Martin
    Thanks Martin. I've been intrigue by Ubuntu for a while now. Gonna have to try this at some point...

Go Back to forum