• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Applying Effects With Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Applying Effects With Sonar

Quick question...I just got Sonar 2.0 XL....I can\'t seem to figure out how to route my midi track to the audio track so that I can apply real-time fx...I was under the impression this was possible. I can do it with the DXi stuff...but not when I just set up my midi track to use with Gigastudio! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take care!

JPS

Re: Applying Effects With Sonar

The main way to record a midi track is:
    1) Sequence your track, and play the midi track through the instrument of your choice.
    2) I have to assume your midi instrument plays into the input of your sound card of your sequencer computer. Or if you have a native/resident sampler like Giga (or a wave table, etc), it plays out the output of your sound card and then ends up (processed/mixed or not, up to you) on the input of your sound card.
    3) Create an audio track in Sonar. (Right click in track area) Be sure to select the proper input for your audio card for that track, and arm it for record.
    4) Record your midi track into your audio track (using the above signal pathing).
    5) Now you can do what your want with the new wave file: select that wave track, and a menu item allows you to use/test effects. Or in the mixer view you can assign effects to track to be used during playback and recording.

If you do not understand the above, you probably do not know how midi and audio works in Sonar, so go to the help menu, bring up help, and go through the tutorials.

Try the \"Input monitoring\", under \"SONAR Help\", searching its keyword, it will guide you how to setup.

I think you\'re missing what he\'s asking, guys. He\'s not asking how to record a midi track to an audio track, he\'s asking how to route it THROUGH an audio track to get \"real-time\" effects.

As far as I know, you can\'t route it through like that in Sonar, but I\'m using 1.0, so it might be possible in 2.0. Try the Cakewalk tech support. They\'re usually friendly and helpful.

vertigo nailed it.....im trying to route my gigastudio track to the audio in order to apply REAL-TIME fx....thanks so much for your help everybody!!!

JPS

Actually, you CAN \"route it THROUGH an audio track to get \"real-time\" effects\": GiGa->audio card input in-->real time effects (AND automation)-->Recorded to a track. It is still better to record it raw and try out effects then apply as needed. Its all in the help files.

\"Try the \"Input monitoring\", under \"SONAR Help\", searching its keyword, it will guide you how to setup\"

It is a new feature since Sonar1.0. We were using it earlier.

By default, it is \"OFF\", we shall need to activate it only when we use it (audio option)! Don\'t forget to click \"R\"(record) on the tracks that you want it with effects (before, during record or playback).
    It would be a only way you can apply the Sonar1/2\'s effect-processing to Giga-tracks or/and other audio-input (outboard/Mic) at realtime (doesn\'t work on Cakewalk version). Of course there could be some soundcard/driver-platform (WDM) dependent issues (echo/latency/etc).

One question to the Sonar gurus out there:

Do you actually have to start recording in order to monitor the effected input in realtime? I\'m thinking in terms of live use here. If I could set it up to apply nice Direct X effects to the output of GIGA as I play my 2 hour piano set (via a MIDI controller), that would rock!

Great tips guys, just shows how much I DON\'T know.

You don\'t have to actually record, just arm the track for Record, and it will start to monitor.

Arming the track will enable you to monitor it...however...I don\'t think it\'s possible to route the giga track to that audio track (in order to monitor and apply fx to the giga track). I\'ve been trying to do it for three days straight...unfortunately I have exhausted my options and patience!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...Monitoring and apply real-time fx to my line inputs is really easy...but...trying to route giga...uncertain if its even possible...a bit frustrating...thanks everyone for your help!

JPS

Go Back to forum