• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Beethoven and Borodin String Quartets-- 2 contrasting VSL solo strings demos

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven and Borodin String Quartets-- 2 contrasting VSL solo strings demos

Beethoven 's extremely virtuosic String quartet op 59/3 - Finale

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5208

Borodin's lyrical String quartet in D - Notturno

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5209

All comments and questions welcome.

Best,
    Jay

Cool Re: Beethoven and Borodin String Quartets-- 2 contrasting VSL solo strings demos

Jay you are a master, and as usual, everything bright in your expert hands...

( ...you burn my last hope to have some sample in exchange of my work from Vienna marketing managers: with a demo maker like you, I'm not requested...and for me simply buy VSL is not affordable... ).

To be honest even with your mastership and extreme musical sensibility, still some "patchwork" effect is evident in the VI. In the flexibility and continous flow of expressive changes, the G.Tommasini approach is better.

What is wonderful in VSL VI is the sound, because so well recorded and played samples are still slightly better than re-synthesized sound of Garritan Solo Strings by Giorgio.

But Giorgio is now working with more advanced technology and samples recorded and designed for the "modeling" approach (the samples of Gary's Solo strings where standard samples):
    I dream of a sound as good as Vienna, but as controllable and variable as Garritan Solo strings...I think we will be soon receiving some good news.

Re: Beethoven and Borodin String Quartets-- 2 contrasting VSL solo strings demos

Very good work indeed, very well done.

The only thing i can out my finger on, is that it sounds as if the release times are somewhat static, creating a tiny bit of synthetic sound in fast repetitions and runs.

This is offcourse due to the limitiations of the sampled articulations i would presume, but in my ears, some of the notes are not punctuated enough in terms of lenght and the corresponding release time of the sample, so it borders on a SLIGHT mechanical sound at times.

But it is a very minor thing, and it sounds very well executed indeed!!!
    this is truly one of the best demos with VSl i have heard so far.

Re: Beethoven and Borodin String Quartets-- 2 contrasting VSL solo strings demos

Jay,

I never will comment to a work from you before I have listend to a composition by yourself! Hey man, you are one from the best, do it!

Ok, without joking, as always, you did a very good job here!

About what Pzy-Clone said, well, that is even the VSL library sound....
    And, about what Fabio said, what would the marketing team from VSL do without having you and Guy as "The demo makers?"

All my best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Sounds great Jay. As usual I'm impressed. was this just the 2 Solo string libraries? Did you use the "Extended" libraries? What all is involved?

Did you have to stickk your fingers in a pool of water to put the fire out when you were done playing!

Seriously - Something I'd appreciate. What is your work flow on something like this? Do you start slow with the melody - get the notes in then start tweaking MIDI? How do you keep the continuity of the piece while getting all the changes etc. in?

I just listened again on my studio monitors - it's really amazing what can be done with VSL if you put the time in. Jay - may I ask how long it took you?

And now - for the question we've all been waiting for..... how can we do this on Garritan for only $200 Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    ....And now - for the question we've all been waiting for..... how can we do this on Garritan for only $200 Ha!
    Whaley,

I am sure: If Jay would record a demo with the Garritan Strings, it would be sound much better than many demos who was recorded from others with the VSL stuff... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Well Jay, you did it again... Beautiful renditions.. Really great work... I tell you, VSL should give you all their products for free, you're the best ambassador they have...

What tradivoro said...

germancomponist, i think I'm starting to appreaciate your sense of humour here. ..What the hell is wrong with me?

Jay,

These are both really great. I loaded them into cubase and saw what a wide variety of articulations are used (the low midi notes to select them are almost as furious as the beethoven fugue!). I have these libraries and have mostly been using universal mode to get started, and it works well but not like this. How do you select all of these articulations? Is it a matter of playing each and them remembering which you imagine you want as you edit the midi file? Because of the Beethoven being spot on in midi I assume you started with a notated type file for that and then worked the tempos. Next was using some templates that you like with articulations selected for the style of music-some of the matrices are 12 wide and do not seem to use the speed control, so that allows you to manually select based on what is played (like how harsh you want each note). Expression seem to be used sparingly with most volume controled by velocity. This all seems to be an alternate way of working that is not really outlined in the tutorials very well. I congratulate you on what you achieve here and if this is less than perfectly coherent then it is just due to being overwhelmed! Thanks for providing the tutorials, any further comments on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Go Back to forum