• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm in awe of your lovely Christmas music

Share/Bookmark

Question I'm in awe of your lovely Christmas music

Folks, if you have read my recent thread regarding getting back into my music after a couple decades hiatus, you will know that I would like to get to the place where I can compose and arrange orchestral and choral pieces.
    Today I listened to this year's Garritan community Christmas album, and I am in awe of your ability to compose and arrange. Beautiful works, and for the most part, very realistic sounding.
    I was wondering if anyone ever shared their scores or MIDI files, so that I might be able to see just precisely how these songs looked in a score?
    Thanks so much in advance, and I welcome any and all scores that you might be able to share with me. My email address is:
    rfdillon@earthlink.net. I am currently using Finale and Sonar 7 PE.
    Thanks so much again!

Re: I'm in awe of your lovely Christmas music

That's exactly what I'm hoping to look at too. I would love to learn more about how to use the GPO sounds well as I am quite new at this, so viewing scores would be a huge help. I'm using Sibelius 4.1.

I've uploaded the score of my arrangement of Carol of the Birds.

This is the original version, longer than the version included in the CD. It turned out to be too long, so I just cut out the third verse--you'll just have to skip those bars.

This was done in Finale 2008. Please note that the first cello is notated an octave higher than the actual sound, because of the way the Gofriller cello is mapped to the keys.

I may publish this arrangement, but I'm not sure how marketable an arrangement of a little-known carol for ten solo strings would be. I might have better luck if I adapt it for string orchestra. Meanwhile, I hope you find it useful.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Beautiful stuff, Dan!

Thanks for posting the score. I'm just a musical hack...but I can learn a lot from following your score like this. Wonderful piece.

Thumbs up Re: I'm in awe of your lovely Christmas music

Thanks so much, Dan, for sharing this with us. I am printing it out even as we speak, and hope to review it this evening. I appreciate so much your willingness to share with those less talented - I'm sure that others too will derive great benefit from reviewing your score.
    Thanks so much again, and Happy New Year!

You're all welcome.

Interestingly, my posting the score resulted in a sale! A Middle school orchestra director was searching for an arrangement of "Carol of the Birds" that her orchestra could play in a state contest. She came across mine and thought it would fit the bill. A bonus for her was that she has a very good cellist in her group, and my arrangement allows her to feature the solo cello.

It probably never would have happened without GPO and the Gofriller! All that money I've been spending on sample libraries is finally starting to pay off a little.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks for posting that score, Dan. I will definitely download it for study.

BTW, I just signed in to to post a thread asking what I was doing wrong on my cello part, since the Gofriller plays an octave lower than notated in Finale--but you've addressed it here. Hopefully Garritan will release a fix for that. (They do know about it, right?) In the meantime, I guess I'll transpose the notes up an octave for playback, then put them back where they belong for the score.

Congratulations on the sale of your score. That's great!

Barb
    Canada

P.S. I'm so thrilled with the Gofriller. Just received it 18 hours ago!

To all Ladies and Gentlemen that shared their music with us on the Christmas CD,

I want to express my THANK YOU for this. Due to the fact that my family lives a little across the country we had several meetings with parts of them before and after christmas, and also my wife and me invited about 20 friends to our home two days after christmas. While searching for the right music I downloaded the files of the Garritan Christmas CD, burned them onto a CD and voila - your music was just perfectly setting the right mood for all these events.

So, thank you again everybody for sharing your work!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    To all Ladies and Gentlemen that shared their music with us on the Christmas CD,

I want to express my THANK YOU for this.
    So, thank you again everybody for sharing your work!

Hannes
    That's a pleasure, Hannes! Thanks for your post .. it's always great to get to know when one's music is being appreciated and played...

Best wishes
    Jon Raybould

Go Back to forum