• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rollover Beethoven

Share/Bookmark

Rollover Beethoven

(Now that I am on Page 2 for the second time, I can do this).

An excerpt from Reminiscences Of An 82 Year Old Cub Reporter With The Scandalous Tabloid, "The Musician's Daily":
    "The year was 1800 (or maybe it was 1801 - I have a hard time remembering that far back). It was a brisk morning on April 12. Herr von Beethoven was returning from the market where he had bought some of his favorite onions from the widow, Frau Schmidt. He was obviously consumed by his own thoughts when he happened across a funeral procession. The deceased was not a noteworthy person, but he was wealthy. The casket was borne was a very handsome carriage and there were a couple of dozen mourners. There was also a little band playing dour music for the procession. A fairly young man did a respectable job with his "squeeze box". But there were two old coots playing their "horns" along with him. Their decrepit instruments could probably only be played by them. The instruments were likely victims of the Napoleonic Wars, both suffering a direct hit from a cannon ball. Both men were possibly on the brink of stone deafness."

"Anyway, Herr von Beethoven stopped in his tracks and listened intently to this small band. He scribbled a few notes on a piece of parchment that he pulled from his waistcoat. I figured that something profound might come of this. And, as they say, "The rest was musical history". "

So, by the power of modern technology, I am able to recreate the music of that 3-man band. I don't think that it will take you too long to determine the inspiration that Ludwig gained from this experience.

Frank
    http://www.box.net/shared/mbe7xvoo48
    THIS LINK IS WORKING AS OF 1/05 @ 6pm (I am now using Box.net)

www.geocities.com/rg4209rg/audio/funeral.mp3
    (This isn't funny. I would like to know why some links work and others don't. I'll keep trying to get it to work.) It's working @ 5:24pm on Dec. 21.

Re: Rollover Beethoven

4209fr:

"A brisk morning, eh? I wonder where someone got the
    notion to call this tune, "The Moonlight Sonata?"

Maybe he took the scrap of paper home and worked it out
    at night..........What's in a name or title though..............lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jack -
    It was Ludwig Rellstab in 1832 who coined "Moonlight Sonata".

Frank

---!---WOw, Frank "4209fr" - YOu should've had this in time for the Garritan Halloween challenge.

THE quirkiest, most fun thing - !

I Love the "squeeze box" - Did you work with the one in JABB, adding key click sounds from some of the other instruments?

I want to pass on one technical note - Most of the effects you used were very effective, --it was pitchbending to slide into so many of the "horn" notes which wasn't so convincing to me. Perhaps if the notes weren't arrived at perfectly--not sure. But the bends seemed too long and over too large a span. It would just be something I'd experiment with more.

What a concept. You are a Hoot!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy -
    Ya, my first attempt at pitch bending. I have seen MIDI with guitars, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Most were the default 2 semi-tone. I did one that was 7 semi-tones (down), but I placed very short intermediate notes to split up the pitch bends. I would like to see (or read) more about the "proper" technique.

I did quite a bit of experimenting. I was somewhat satisfied with the duration of most - some were a little too short, but I was too lazy to go back and change them. I shortened quite a few, but I thought that, under the circumstances of the "show", they were about right. I especially love the one at the highest note of the interlude. (I just couldn't bear to make it longer for a 4th time).

As I recall (I'm too lazy to call it up), the "squeeze box" was straight from JBB with only a slight Bellows sound. The "horns" have a lot of "Key sounds" and Var1.

Hey, these poor old guys were life-time members of the Begraebnisband-Zuenft. Show a little respect!

Frank

Hello again, Frank

Thanks for the reply--I really think you put a lot of imaginative work into this, with some Very clever use of tools at hand. So fun!

Pitch Bend - You understand that you're not stuck with the full amount that's programmed. If I could draw what a realistic PB event can look like, it'd be a tiny blip on the MIDI controller screen - I just tried some keyboard characters to simulate it, failed - But on the scale of 0 to 127, a short blip up to 5 - that gives you a realistic scoop to a note, for instance.

I think you're meaning that this is notated and not played? Because PB with a MIDI keyboard is much more intuitive, easier to get good results--since you hear the effect in real time, and then re-record to your hearts content, or edit it a bit in the MIDI controller window.

In any case--it's a good tool to experiment with. This was certainly the kind of project that called for it. Reality was just pushed a bit too far I'd say.

I like your imagination!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy -
    I have a fairly nice MIDI keyboard, but I hardly use it. I diagram everything.
    So for a quarter note (or a 32nd note, for that matter), I can have its 'duration' as wide as the monitor and make the PB as long or short as necessary (or as tall or shor). It just takes longer to 'draw' it. But when drawn, the limits are +- 8364? (or something like that), with the standard pitch frequency for that note = 0 (the middle of the graph). So I don't quite understand what you were trying to tell me - perhaps the 'normal' PB is 4-5% of the PB range (5 of 127)? I would think that such would be the case for Notation instruments where the PB is +- 12 semi-tones, as I recall.

Anyway, I'm learning and appreciate your feedback, comments, helps, etc. - and everyone else's, too.

Frank

Frank:

Interesting piece of trivia. Do you know any more about
    the whole story (or references that you have scanned)?
    Would like to really know how the Sonata got its name....
    Ludwig Rellstab hit it right on the head though. Could not
    imagine a better title........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Frank,

I started listening to this without first reading the post
    (my usual practice -- I'd rather let the music speak first,
    as a rule, and see how what I get from it lines up with the
    various comments).

And, I'm thinking to myself, after the first minute or so,
    er, well, hmmm, this isn't exactly raising itself high onto
    my list of great musical achievements... rofl!

But, of course, having read the post -- this was really
    quite a fascinating excursion into the possibilities of
    history... an insight into just how The Master might
    have come to arrive at this beloved piece.

Frank, many thanks for this very interesting journey!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is pretty funny - more funny is that all the "mistakes" did not really mask the music either.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast