• Register
  • Help

Topic: release samples vs. reverb

Share/Bookmark

release samples vs. reverb

I'm new to the release samples thing but if I add reverb, should I use a string patch without release samples, because I heard that release samples are just there for ambience...

Re: release samples vs. reverb

It depends on the library. For me and the libraries I utilize, release samples work best when used on notes followed by a rest or at the end of a phrase. This is where I want to hear the note "release" or terminate. When used in the middle of contiguous notes, release samples can add a muddy quality to the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    It depends on the library. For me and the libraries I utilize, release samples work best when used on notes followed by a rest or at the end of a phrase. This is where I want to hear the note "release" or terminate. When used in the middle of contiguous notes, release samples can add a muddy quality to the sound.
    Same here.

I suppose some are better programed than others but I'd rather program the performance and add the reverb later. That said i think it's good to have early reflection built in the samples.

I'm not an experience user but what convinced me to go this way it the dry/wet demo at Samplicity. Those demo showed me that you can create realistic ambiance with IRs etc.. Plus you cant create complex musical phrases with with long release or lots of ambiance built in the sample, especially fast passages.. The only way to go about it is with dry samples. I'm not saying libraries like EW don't have any uses. Hell i wish i had some $ to upgrade to Platinum. I just don't think it's the best way to go about it over all.
    ...Now i need to learn how to mix.

I think many people don`t know that one can control the release-samples in EWQLSO Platinum. (via group edit)

One can control the volume and the time between the both samples. And so one can play very fine realistic fast passages.

But, as dvincent said, release samples can add a muddy quality to the sound if they are too loud. That should be the reason that at all new players you can turn them also "off".
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

And so one can play very fine realistic fast passages.
    I don't think I've ever heard any.. realistic i mean.

Also there's a big problem with samples recorded in a big hall. The problem is that you cant record things like legatos because the ambiance gets in the way.
    One needs to record in a controlled environment so that you can edit/cut the samples without noticing it as much as possible, and that is impossible with Samples with loads of ambiance. Even the producer of EW recognize that now.
    That doesn't mean Gold is bad it's just that it has limitations.

Go Back to forum