JABB demo:

Cottontail, 4:12, 7.7Mb
    (updated mix)

Title........Cottontail
    Genre........Jazz septet
    Composer.....Ellington
    Arranger.....Darwin Kopp
    Arr. date....December 2007
    Arr. time....one week (mostly to work out solos & phrasing/inflections)
    Samples......JABB v1.0
    Sequencer....Overture
    Reverb.......KP2 Convolution
    EQ...........KP2 3-band parametric
    Monitors.....Sennheiser HD 580
    ..Arrangement...yes
    ..Performance...yes
    ..Sonics........no

This is based on a lead sheet from a standards "fake book" that most gigging jazz musicians own, with some adjustments to the changes.

I arranged this for seven instruments: string bass, drums, piano, plus what I call a FATT section (flugel, alto, tenor, trombone) which is sort of like a mini big band.

The form is intro, head (with flugel jazz on the bridge), two choruses of tenor solo, piano solo, modulation, recap (with a bass solo on the bridge).

99.9% JABB (as I couldn't find any snare rolls in JABB, I added the orchestral snare from GPO).

For me, the defining characteristic of jazz is nuance, and I believe the initial release of the JABB library goes a long way in delivering just that.

Re: Cottontail - JABB

Hi, Darwin

Nice! What a great project, and I just now enjoyed the heck out of the results. YEeeeeeah! This is a really good example of how great JABB can sound.

I had a couple of feedback comments concerning the mix, but I don't see room for that on your allowable feedback list, so we'll skip that.

Great work!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Darwin:

Absolutely first rate. It swings with a really great driving beat.
    Solos are first rate and the balance is good except, in my headset,
    the bass was a little too predominant. Man, that bass player is
    good though.

A really great listen, Darwin. Will be looking forward to more of
    your JABB work. No snare rolls in JABB? I can't believe that, but
    I know you probably have searched high and low for them.

BRAVO, Darwin

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I’m not familiar enough with the original to comment too much on the arrangement except to say I really liked it. The solos were all great. I’ll have to agree with jack that the bass was too loud for my taste. And yes, the way you use JABB does go a long way in delivering that jazz nuance.
    Trent P. McDonald

Darwin,

This is a challenging piece. I'm not familiar with the original, so I might be totally off base with my comment. In the 6th bar of the head, that short note bothers me. The way that I'm hearing it in my head, is the downbeat in the 6th bar is long, and the notes on the upbeats are all short. I'd also like to hear a little more "bite" in all short accented notes.

I thought the piano solo was great. Enjoyed it.

Jeff

Darwin

My feet couldn't stop moving!! Great arrangement, great sounds, great work!!

Well done

Ron

A groove that stayed right in the pocket, really nice arangement, effective voicings... it all sounded great, Darwin! Although the bass was a bit hot as others have mentioned, I kind of liked it "up front", particularly when you had no piano comping behind the tenor solo -- a sonority, by the way, that sounded appropriately lean and sparse, leaving room for the tenor player to do his (her??) thing. Pretty cool! I thought you did a very nice job with the entire rhythm section, which can be the ruination of a project like this. (I do the same thing for drum rolls, BTW. )

As someone who has heard this tune off and on over the years, I would say you did more than an admirable job doing it justice. Kudos to you, man!

More to come? Maybe a Basie tune?? Thanks for this one, Darwin!

Danny

To all,

Sorry about the mix, I've replaced the original mix with one having the bass a good 6dB lower.

As an active, very noisy musician, I need to keep peace as much as possible with the neighbors, so I do all my computer stuff with headphones, which I know is not ideal, but it is the situation I am living with. The phones I use tend to understate the low end a little, plus I'm a bass freak, so as you can imagine, things can get a little out of hand.

Randy

I'm glad you enjoyed the end result.

I had a couple of feedback comments concerning the mix, but I don't see room for that on your allowable feedback list, so we'll skip that.
    The feedback block is just a suggestion. It justs indicates areas where I would like feedback. Typically, I'm not too keen on sonics for the reasons described above. Usually I can't do a whole lot about them, unless I start renting space in some industrial park. Randy, you really can say anything you want.

Rhap2,

Thanks for the listen. The bass is fixed up (hopefully not too far in the other direction).

trentpmcd,

The nuance thing. I think JABB is off to a good start, but I'd really like more layers of expression, especially on things like the cymbals and the piano. JABB v2 ???

Jeff,

This is a challenging piece. I'm not familiar with the original, so I might be totally off base with my comment. In the 6th bar of the head, that short note bothers me. The way that I'm hearing it in my head, is the downbeat in the 6th bar is long, and the notes on the upbeats are all short. I'd also like to hear a little more "bite" in all short accented notes.
    Well, the upbeats are all definitely long. So it's a question of DOO-DAH-DAH-DAH or DUT-DAH-DAH-DAH. I guess I went for the DUT.

Ron,

My feet couldn't stop moving!!
    Always glad to provide happy feet.

Danny,

Although the bass was a bit hot as others have mentioned, I kind of liked it "up front", particularly when you had no piano comping behind the tenor solo -- a sonority, by the way, that sounded appropriately lean and sparse, leaving room for the tenor player to do his (her??) thing.
    I intentionally left out the comping because it sounded so nice to hear the three way dialog among the sax, bass, and drums. (And the bass and sax both know the changes well enough to pull it off ). Unfortunately, I let the bass get out front a little too much.

More to come? Maybe a Basie tune??
    I was thinking of doing something original for the next one using a regular big band, but I may squeeze in something else in between.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Oh, and Merry X-mas, stay warm!

On a first pass, I was thinking to myself -- maybe
    this is a little thin... my ear probably prejudiced by
    other versions. But you know, Darwin, on a second
    listen... I do like the clarity and lack of clutter in the
    arranging on this. Less can be more, as they say.
    To my ear, I think I'd like a little more "room" on this
    in the rendering, though.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David,

On a first pass, I was thinking to myself -- maybe this is a little thin... my ear probably prejudiced by other versions. But you know, Darwin, on a second listen... I do like the clarity and lack of clutter in the arranging on this. Less can be more, as they say.
    I was concerned about that at first as well, but it grew on me. I decided to let the piano comp on only part of the the A and B sections of the head, so the listener could get some inkling of the changes, while the ensemble work elsewhere fills in the rest of the picture. Otherwise, the piano just plays little bits here and there, sort of Basie-style. This approach also makes the entrance of the piano solo more interesting.

To my ear, I think I'd like a little more "room" on this in the rendering, though.
    I know that it's hard to discern, but here is a very subtle reverb on this. They're playing in a tiny little jazz club somewhere and you're nursing your drink right in front of them. All kidding aside, I agree a little more reverb wouldn't hurt, though I try to err on the cautious side.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

It's over the hill and through the woods for me, have a nice holiday.

Regards,
    Darwin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast