• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about monitors and Cubase

Share/Bookmark

Question about monitors and Cubase

Hi folks,

I could ask this on a Cubase forum or a more general board, but I'm asking it here becasuse everyone here is so helpful and plain nice - you're like a second family!!

Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing a new monitor. The one I have is an old CRT, 17 inch square. I've held off replacing it because, well, it's not broken. However it gets annoying when using it with Cubase SE because there isn't much room on the main edit page.

I'm considering a 22" TFT monitor.

What I'd like to ask is - when running TFT on a 22" screen, will all text, tracks etc stay the same size, giving me more editing space on the right-hand part of the screen, or will everything (including text etc) just be enlarged?

In short, what I have now is this:

What I would like to have is something like this!! With a large edit section to work on. (I've just pasted two screeshots to make this photo, so obviusly there wouldn't be two transport bars ):

Any comments or advice gratefully received.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas
    Jon Raybould

PS I'm sat here listening to the Christmas CD. Track 8 (Angels We have Heard On High by Keith Walls) is looping at the moment. Great!!!

Re: Question about monitors and Cubase

Ernstinen is right.

To add to this, actually the size of the monitor itself makes no difference to how much Cubase you can fit on the screen. A 15" monitor and a 22" monitor displaying say at 1024 x 768 will have the same appearance only evertything will look a bit bigger on 22". To get more Cubase on the screen, then you need higher resolution. Ironically you could do that with a smaller screen than you have, eg you might find a 15" screen with more resolution than the one you have and so achieve your screenshot! So in principle the thing to look out for is the maximum resolution of a new screen as that is what gives you more screen 'real estate'.

so 1) check what resolution you are running now
    2) check to ensure you can't up your resolution a bit more
    3) check the specs of any new screen to ensure it has higher res.

I run my 22" at 1680 x 1050 and I find that's a good compromise between higher res, and being able to read the screen. The image below cuts off the right edge of screen, but you can see the space available:

Guys - THANK YOU so much for your replies.

So amount viewable is dependent on the resolution. Thanks. Mine is 1024 x 780 at the moment, so I understand it like this -

Changing that would give me more edit page on screen but the text would be tiny. So with a bigger monitor at a higher resolution, the text would be readable, but you would get more edit screen, simply because the monitor is larger. Is that a fair summary?

Thanks again LOW and Ernstein. And LOW - thanks for taking the trouble for your screenshot. Very useful for me.

Cheers
    Jon

I have a 17"CRTmonitor like you and I have Cubase SE3. I run the monitor at 1280 x 1024. I find this gives me ample workspace.

You may want to consider using folder tracks to keep the desktop tidier. E.G. keep strings in one, brass in another, Austrian cow horns in another, very distorted guitars in another etc.

Works well for me

Paul's reply is an especially helpful one, Jon. Managing your view with the use of folders, separate windows etc is really the way to go.

As LOW explained, a larger monitor will still just show you the same amount of data. What you seem to be talking about, as per your doubled up screen shot paste up, is using Two monitors - which some people do with success.

But I find the size of my monitor, and I've used various sizes, doesn't make any difference in my comfort of working.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

The other think I forgot to mention is your graphics card - it also needs to be able to support higher resolutions.

"Changing that would give me more edit page on screen but the text would be tiny. So with a bigger monitor at a higher resolution, the text would be readable, but you would get more edit screen, simply because the monitor is larger. Is that a fair summary?"

That's 100% correct.

On the 2-monitor topic = I used to run 2 monitors, but my old version of Cubase is a complete pain in the butt when it comes to maximising/moving windows/etc, so I switched back to a single monitor. A lot of people succesfully run 2 (or more) monitors and there are other threads on this topic. I think you would be able to get your screenshot onto a single 22" widescreen format monitor with high enough res. though.

Assuming it's a PC (I can't say with a Mac ), right on with the video card comment - the higher the resolution the more you'll get on the screen, but alos the more likely it is that a better video card will be required (or help) performance.

I have a 22" widescreen monitor that I run my main DAW window on (Sonar in my case) on, but have a separate monitor (19" CRT - though that will change within a couple of months - probably to another 22" widescreen) where I put my mix window, and any synth or plug in windows
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

Lightbulb Re: Question about monitors and Cubase

Having moved from two 22 inch monitors to a single 24 inch monitor I can say I like the single monitor much more. I don't know why, except that I did not like having to `cross' the middle where the two monitors sat next to each other. It always threw me off. Weird.

Cubase does do a nice job of stretching across two monitors. That being said, I would never have a monitor less than 22 inches (widescreen) again. Samsung has a *great* 24 inch monitor for $399. There is a Samsung 27 inch monitor at Best Buy for $499. Either would be a good way to go on a budget. The best would be a single 30 inch monitor if you have the $$ to spend.

The video card choice is as important as the monitor choice. You want plenty of RAM (at least 512 MB) and a solid refresh rate. Monitors should give you at least an 8ms refresh rate, 5 ms is greatly preferred to my eyes.

Last thought. Make sure that what you want on screen does not require a resolution that will make you squint. Yes, it is nice to have lots of sequencing tracks and measures on a screen, however if you have to squint to see it you will get fatigued and uncomfortable very quickly.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

This has given me lots to think about. I am definitely going to take Paul's advice and try to get used to using folder tracks more often - something I knew about but hadn't got into the habit of using odten!

But the problem I am experiencing is more down to lack of screen space horizontally rather than vertically.

I will experiment with different resilutions but I was just wondering - if I increase the resolution on my 17" monitor I assume this will affect all other programs such as Sibelius and Internet browsing. Is this correct?

I think I will be going for an upgrade pretty soon. I'll let you know how I got on. Thanks again for the kind help.

Jon

Hello again, Jon

This is a good thread - Glad it's gotten your gears going more on what you'd like to do.

Everybody has their individual needs and tastes about what they see on their monitors of course.

I have a question though - In your original screen shot, that is a WAY zoomed out view. That's much wider than I work in. I have to zoom way in, seeing just a measure or two at a time. The whole thing scrolls, --so I'm not sure why you want to have even More of the horizontal view available? --It's too wide to do much with--seems to me. ?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum