• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Way, way OT -- FIGGIE PUDDING!

Share/Bookmark

Way, way OT -- FIGGIE PUDDING!

My proudest creation in quite a while, so please excuse me sharing a proud papa picture... completely from scratch, homemade figgie pudding!! Grab a piece and make jolly!!

Merry Christmas, all!

Danny

Re: Way, way OT -- FIGGIE PUDDING!

Mmmmmmm! I can taste it from across the ocean!! Lovely :-)

Well done!!

We have relatives in the Cayman Islands and every year they send us a Tortuga Rum cake. Yours looks like one of those - and I bet it tastes just as good (if not better) !!!!

Mmmmm!
    Jon

Thumbs up Re: Way, way OT -- FIGGIE PUDDING!

It looks yummy! Does it have figs in it? I once ate a fig newton, and then i was convinced that while eating a fig may be good, making something out of figs not so good. But i will reserve judgement because what you have there looks like it is probably very good. Here we two kinds of figs, California and Turkish, both are very good, the Turkish figs taste like they have been soaked in whiskey even though they haven't been.

Speaking of Whiskey, a few years ago, this Arab guy, who lived in Belize for many years before coming here, gave us a Belize recipe cake that he called a "fruitcake." This went further than your typical holiday dreaded frutcake because it looked nothing like fruitcake and it was jet black, not dark brown, but black as coal.

We sat there looking at it, everyone afraid to try a piece. We were thinking um... uh... why would anyone make a black cake... maybe they are terrorists.

After he took one of the slices and ate it, and explained that he has no idea why they turn black, and that his mom has made it many times and they always come out black, and that it doesn't look like a fruitcake because the fruit which is mostly citrus is liquified in blender, and that he thinks she puts whiskey, rum, brandy, and some kind of liqueur in it, i decided to go ahead a try a piece.

It was the best fruitcake i have ever eaten. It was the best cake i had ever eaten, i didn't even mind anymore that it was black. So if you are ever in Belize try some, it's great. It doesn't look like it would be good but it is. Take that cake of yours and spray paint it black, and that is what it looked like.

Yummmm! Figgie pudding!! Don't mind if I do grab a piece!

Merry Christmas Danny!

Gary Garritan

Danny,

So you are good not only in music but in puddings as well!...
    mmmmmm... that looks so good!!! I love figs and I love puddings... lol
    Can I have the recipe?????

Merry Christmas to you!

Yudit

Just have to ask. What is in Figgie Pudding

Peace and Merry Christmas!

rikp

I have a parrot named Figaro but called Figgy (my wife named it long before she met me, so the Mozart connection was coincidence (or is the Rossini connection?)). When Figgy is bad, I always threaten to make Figgy Pudding….. she never believes me (we don’t know if Figgy is a “she”, but, despite the masculine name, we call Figaro”she”).

Anyway, your figgy pudding looks a lot better than any pudding I would never make from our Figgy . (Did I mangle that last sentence enough?)
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I have a parrot named Figaro but called Figgy (my wife named it long before she met me, so the Mozart connection was coincidence (or is the Rossini connection?)). When Figgy is bad, I always threaten to make Figgy Pudding….. she never believes me (we don’t know if Figgy is a “she”, but, despite the masculine name, we call Figaro”she”).

Anyway, your figgy pudding looks a lot better than any pudding I would never make from our Figgy . (Did I mangle that last sentence enough?)
    Just read this first thing in the morning -- That is hilarious!

I Googled it and came up with this:

http://www.aim-users.com/figgiepud.htm

Your's looks WAAAAAAY Better

Peace

rikp

Jon - Sounds very similar; but, since "tortuga" means turtle, I'd be a little leary!

hey, Leaf -- funny story, man... cake terrorists! Just goes to show you never know what just might be delicious once you try it!

Gary -- saved you a piece! And Merry Christmas to you, too!

Yudit -- I got the recipe from npr.org, the public radio web site. I'll send you the recipe. It does taste good (a little bit to my surprise)!

rikp -- I'm guessing the one on that website is Americanized version (looks a little like meatloaf, doesn't it??).

I got the idea to make one when I heard a show on NPR about authentic English Christmas dishes -- so supposedly this one is "authentic" (??). I thought it would be fun to make, so I got the recipe from their website. It basically has: calmyrna figs, dried cherries and cranberries and -- most importantly -- lots of brandy and rum! It's all mixed into a cake-like batter, put into a cake mold, then steamed for a few hours inside a steamer (has to be a big one!) on the stove. The real fun part is pouring brandy over the top once it's cooked and lighting it on fire.

I felt a little sheepish about posting the picture, so thanks for all of your responses! And Merry Christmas!!

Go Back to forum