• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Hooked on Christmas-Big Band Swing

Share/Bookmark

Hooked on Christmas-Big Band Swing

Hi all! Well, it's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd get something up in time for Christmas. I've been working on it for a while now and finally finished it. It is loosely based on the "Hooked on Swing" series that became popular in the early 80's. Hope you enjoy it.

Original composition by John Wasson, published by Hal Leonard

As always, your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Jaker "Shaver"

http://www.box.net/shared/wb3y90fhcc
    Last edited by shaver; 12-25-2007 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Crediting original composer
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Hooked on Christmas-Big Band Swing

Superb! I enjoyed the instrumentation, swing feel, and overall "live " presentation. Very enjoyable.

That's some fine writing, Sir! You did a great job and I enjoyed it.

I don't know how to put this without sounding critical, but your "bass", at the beginning and throughout the piece, is either out of tune or it's playing the wrong notes. I can't tell what the instrument is but a standard "stand-up" bass or maybe a Fender fretless bass would really sound good, in my humble opinion.

Otherwise, things swung nicely.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is FANTASTIC, Shaver!! Just my thing!!! Very professionally done. I assume you ARE a professional? If not, you should be :-)

Great, solid FUN throughout. Excellent. Great mix too.

BTW the bass sounds OK to me (sorry Larry).

Jon

EDIT: This post was in response to Jaker's first version which had an error in the rendering. The link now on his post has been updated.
    ---------

WOW--Jaker! It's FANtastic

BUT--EMERgency - Larry's right--Something went wrong when you rendered this. The Bass is totally out - Most noticeably early on, as Larry said, and then from "Frosty The Snowman" until the end - It's in the wrong key, AND it isn't a Bass, I swear it's the Tympani but stuck probably by a pitch bend meant for the string Bass which isn't in the track.

---Hope you see this soon!

It's such a great arrangement--Gotta hear it with that problem fixed up.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I usually expect alot in a Big Band Piece and this is exactly what i got!
    Wonderful interpritations of those great classics!
    I would have to agree will Larry and Rbowser- the bass is certainly out of tune.
    Wonderful arrangement!
    Merry CHristmas!
    Dan.
    P.S Wonderful touch at the end!
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Golly, Larry and Randy - you're right - I had another listen and the bass does sound a little off-key at the beginning. Didn't notice it on the first listen because I was so taken with everything else going on.

Anyway, hope this can be sorted because it's a top-notch arrangement!
    Jon

Yeah, this is really neat arrangement, so I hope Jaker sees the thread soon so he can fix things. After the opening, from approximately half way in until the end, it's totally whacked, and I am So sure it's a Tympani sound instead of the Bass. It's a percussive boomy sound that's nothing like a string Bass - The wrong instrument somehow got triggered during the rendering, and stuck shifted away from pitch.

Come back soooon, Jaker!--

Randy

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Im so glad there are so many excellent "ears" here because just as everyone has pointed out, there is DEFINAYELY something out of whack on this final mix. I didn't notice it on the final recording but, it IS definately there. I don't think it is the bass and I agree with Randy, it sounds more like timpi than a bass note. Im getting right on this to find the culprit and fix this. So glad everyone has enjoyed it so far. Hopefully, I'll have this sorted out before Christmas and have it up and running. I'm going back through every section now starting with the bass, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again everyone!

Jaker "Shaver"

EDIT

For some reason, the bass I was using, triggered a pitch bend, why I have no clue?! So, I changed to an upright bass and checked the patch. Hopefully, this fixed the problem, have a listen. I replaced the old link on my 1st post with the revised updated one.
    Last edited by shaver; 12-24-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Edit recording
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Much better. Much better. Did I mention that this is much better?

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast