• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Oscar Peterson dies at 82

Share/Bookmark

OT: Oscar Peterson dies at 82

Sadly, we've lost one of the GREATEST Jazz pianists in history.

I'm not sure how many of you were an Oscar Peterson fan, but he was one of my all time favorites. In my opinion, Oscar was probably the most innovative, amazingly talented jazz pianists to ever tickle the ivorys.

His music will live on forever... but he will be greatly missed by all his fans.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...89951&GT1=7702

Re: OT: Oscar Peterson dies at 82

Aww man.

RIP Oscar Peterson.

A sad day, indeed. Oscar was one of the most innovative talents of our time. I saw him perform many times, once at the Blue Note in NYC where I sat right beside him and saw first hand what those powerful fingers could do. His control was unbelievable and his music was felt deeply by all those who listened. He will be greatly missed.
    Rich

2 jazz giants got me interested in playing jazz, Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson.
    Oscars style was always cheerful and gave you a lift, I'm sad to hear the news, he will certainly be missed.

I saw him a couple of years ago at the Rochester, NY jazz festival. He was still great! He will be missed

Peace and a merry Christmas to all!

rikp

Yeah, this is one of the true geniuses of our time, and the sad things, his legacy will not be continued in the future... The time of the world praising great modern jazz musicians has long since past...

Quote Originally Posted by guyB
    2 jazz giants got me interested in playing jazz, Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson.
    Oscars style was always cheerful and gave you a lift, I'm sad to hear the news, he will certainly be missed.
    Gene Lees wrote that Oscar was the Liszt of Jazz and Bill was its Chopin. Being from NYC, I got to see them both often.

God Bless both of them, as they blessed us.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Oscar, Chopin and Liszt(if I dare say shoppin' list) are probably sitting around a table playing a friendly game of poker. May God bless him.

Oscar's talent level in jazz piano was at the top. My favourite among many was his Place St. Henri from the Canadiana suite. Just listening to his music put my brain and soul on overdrive so I cannot imagine what his brain and soul were doing. I am totally humbled! I saw him one time in Steve's Music in Toronto several years ago getting his keyboard fixed and he was just one of the guys/girls. I really had a hard time not going up to him and telling him how much I enjoyed his music. But my need to disrespect his privacy won over.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Was there ever a more sheerly exciting, entertaining jazz pianist? The only other pianist who could give me as much of a kick as Oscar Peterson, was Art Tatum.

Go Back to forum