• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pedal Steel Guitar

Share/Bookmark

Pedal Steel Guitar

For some time now, I have been trying to find a way to create a believable pedal steel guitar sound for the computer ... I did some files using Finale and tweaked some of the midi sounds ... never did like the result ... just wasn't believable ....

ANYWAY! ... I just upgraded Band In A Box to it's 2008 version (The one I had been used to was about 7 or 8 years old) ... And much to my surprise, there was a pedal steel guitar included with real sound ...

Has anyone found another program that will emulate the pedal steel or has BIAB scooped the field?

Ott
    Ott Horn
    Jasper, Tennessee

www.jcfaith.com/otmerhorn

myspace.com/otmerhornhisorchestra

http://cdbaby.com/cd/otmerhorn

Finale 2008 / GPO
    Gateway / AMD Sempron 3100+ 2GB Memory
    700 GB Hard Drive
    Audigy2 Sound Card
    Holton TR158 Trombone
    Kurzweil Mark 10 Piano
    Magix Studio
    Behringer Studio Mixer
    A basket full of MXL, EV & Shure Microphones

Three Pencils (saving up for paper)

Re: Pedal Steel Guitar

There was once an Akai library called 'Whole Lotta Country Goin On' which had a steel pedal guitar. But it was back in the day when sampler memory was at a premium, so it wasn't the most detailed set of samples in the world.

Wavelore is working on a pedal steel library in GVI format. You can hear it at the end of this video from AES:

http://www.gearwire.com/tascam-gigas...v-parttwo.html

I haven't seen any release date for it yet.

/Yoss

Yeah, I gotta tell you, bang for the buck, the biab pedal steel is one of the most versatile things out there... Just generate enough choruses and then pick and choose the phrases you like the best...

you people cant be serious. THis pedal steel sounds terrible. Maybe most of you havent really heard one. I cant believe anyone would use this for anything. It sounds like something off the old roland sound canvas. The bending effects are nice but the sound is pitiful and I do mean pituful. Maybe it is because I record great pedal steel players quite often but this is unusable in my opinion. THe acoustic bass on the demo is knocked out good though

I guess in a few years (if we're still around ... I am 68), we will all laugh at the primitive sounds we are creating synthetically today ... but we have to start somewhere.

I was just thrilled that someone had finally created a program with a pedal steel. I loved Weldon Myrick (sp?) on the Real McCoy album of years ago ... my wife sings with a country "twang" and I create some trax for her ... I even did one for myself using the pedal steel (although I used strings from another program) from BIAB.

You guys who are doing it ... keep up the good work in this new field .... I for one appreciate it ...

Lest I forget ... Gary ... Thanks!

Ott
    Ott Horn
    Jasper, Tennessee

www.jcfaith.com/otmerhorn

myspace.com/otmerhornhisorchestra

http://cdbaby.com/cd/otmerhorn

Finale 2008 / GPO
    Gateway / AMD Sempron 3100+ 2GB Memory
    700 GB Hard Drive
    Audigy2 Sound Card
    Holton TR158 Trombone
    Kurzweil Mark 10 Piano
    Magix Studio
    Behringer Studio Mixer
    A basket full of MXL, EV & Shure Microphones

Three Pencils (saving up for paper)

I don't know the band in a box one, but the wavelore PS's strength is that it is not lick-based. The sound on the video suffers from the expected "trade-show-floor-syndrome", as well as a host of other issues, not the least of which being that Jeff is not exactly playing idiomatic PS phrases. The version he's playing is also a limited version, as much as I could get together for demo at AES.

This thing will be able to do a ridiculous amount of lick-crafting (and in realtime-to the extent that that is possible with a fake pedal steel), and will include a variety of convolution based amp models-all optional, so you can process it however you want. Don't worry about tone-completely flexible!

I've been keeping quiet on this one while working on it, but I can't resist engaging in discussion if and when it comes up.

Keep your eye out for more news on this one from NAMM.

And thanks for the mention, Yoss

Belbin (aka Wavelore Guy)

you know i hope they nail it I just dont see it happening from what I heard. I am impressed with the playabity of the licks but the tone. There is so much more to a pedal steel than bending a lick, the player is always sliding into notes, adjusting the speed of their vibrato. Plus the posistion of the chords. you can play a chord in the first posistion on strings 3 4 and 5 and go up a octave and play the exact same notes on string 4 5 and 6. This is another thing that will make it hard to copy. YOu have this same problem on guitar but not to this degree. The only reasonable attempt I have heard to do steel on a keyboard was years ago. A player named Jim Cox had one of those little vinal records in key board magazine. He played shenendoah and even being a steel player I was impressed. He did it on of all things a prophet 5 I think was the exact model. Maybe samples are not the way to go maybe modeling would do better. If you could hear this it was head and shoulders above this. Keep up the good work maybe you will get there I applaud you for trying but I was just being honest about what I heard

It's not supposed ot sound exactly like a pedal steel... But used judiciously in a mix, it will pass, as long as it's not meant to be an album of solo instrumental pedal steel... It's like saying that Chris Hein guitars don't sound like a Taylor recorded with a neumann mike in the studio... Used judiciously, sampled guitar will work in a mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    you people cant be serious. THis pedal steel sounds terrible. Maybe most of you havent really heard one. I cant believe anyone would use this for anything. It sounds like something off the old roland sound canvas. The bending effects are nice but the sound is pitiful and I do mean pituful. Maybe it is because I record great pedal steel players quite often but this is unusable in my opinion. THe acoustic bass on the demo is knocked out good though

I don't know much about pedal steel guitar, but is'nt it all about pitch?
    If you don't want to go with phrases, I think it could be fun to use a
    ribbon controller to simulate a pedal steel with a guitar sample.
    Here is my old trombone video that shows a ribbon controller just changing pitch:
    http://www.chrishein.net/sl_seiten/s..._chh_video.htm

I mean, the pitch manipulaton technique is pretty close to a pedal steel,
    using the left hand to change the pitch.
    You just have to set the guitar sample to a pitch of five or seven semitones.
    I used seven semitones for the trombone.

But when it comes to chords, its hard to simulate the pedals.
    It may be possible if you use different tracks.
    I would copy a single note track with its pitch information,
    use the same sound on a second and third track (which does not cost extra ram in K2)
    and edit the note and pitch data on these track.
    A flexible two string bending could be done by playing one note with pitchbend
    and use a static note on a second track.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Go Back to forum