• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sweet girl, sweet voice

Sweet girl, sweet voice

Soon after I moved to my new address, my neighbour Harmony heard me play a tune on the piano that reminded her of her love for music and dancing.

She asked if she could write some lyrics for the music, inspired from an earlier piece of poetry called Melodic Desire. Soon we were working on the piece of music below.

You can listen to the piece and read a small article about it on my blog:

link to blog

Alternatively, you can download the piece from here

The piano and vocals (Harmony), are audio recordings, all the other instruments are GPO.

Cheers, and have a merry christmas.

Wilton, NH

Re: Sweet girl, sweet voice

Very pretty. It reminds me so much of something, but I can't put my finger on it. At first i was going to say it was in what I call the new celtic tradition of Enya, Clannad, etc., but that isn't quite it. Anyway, whatever it is that it reminds me of, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, WJ

I'd like to use the adjective Trent used also, -this is a pretty song. Thanks for the background on how this came about also. It's an unusual and rather wonderful origin for a song to have.

I'd like to offer some technical observations if I may: - Harmony's delicate vocal could be much more prominent in the mix. It sounded to me like she may not have been very close to the mike. Approximately 6" away is a good starting point - The distance from vocalist to mike determines the relative characteristics of a vocal recording, no matter how much it's brought up in a mix. You need to aim to have her vocal much more Present.

And you must have chosen to record the acoustic piano out of preference. I do wonder why you did that though, since GPO has a very good sounding piano in the library - and it's so much easier to get a good recording using a sampled piano.

I used to record my piano all the time, back "in the day" when that was my only choice. 4 track tape, mikes, bouncing tracks like crazy - the whole 9 yards. I'd use two mikes to record the piano in stereo, and I was always experimenting with different mike placements - but the sound really wasn't ever satisfactory. Pianos have so much mechanical noise and create such a muddy, boomy sound, unless they're recorded under very controlled circumstances and then a lot of post-recording engineering is also usually involved to make piano tracks clean.

The piano on your track has those not-so-pretty artifacts like I used to get when I tried to record my piano. If it's at all possible, I suggest you record the piano from GPO on your next effort, and Harmony can listen on headphones to playback when adding her vocals. - And then it's a matter of spending some time with the mix to get the tracks more balanced.

I feel experimenting along all those lines would help present your nice music much more successfully.

Yet, - I enjoyed the potential of what I heard here. Thanks for it!

Randy B.

Very nice job on this, WJ.

Keep it coming!

My best,

Shelton, Washington State

A nice song.

I agree with Randy's(rbowser) observations about the technical aspects.

I think it could be more by Enyaizing it some. Some vocal harmonies and maybe doubling on the voice in places. Also adding a lush string sound or pad.

Just some ideas because it is your tune.

What I could make out and hear I really liked! - piano, composition and sweet voice etc. Lots of potential- as was said in the earlier posts much more time needs to be done on the production end to fully realize and appreciate the talent here.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Ta everyone for those comments. This one sounded muddy right from the start, and can only assume that was because of my big old booming piano. I persisted, and with post processing managed to get things quite a bit clearer, but not clear enough. So I take all your excellent comments and suggestions on board.

Go Back to forum