• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Canope" Debussy Prelude #10, Book II

Share/Bookmark

"Canope" Debussy Prelude #10, Book II

"Canope" Debussy Prelude #10, Book II
    A small orchestration using 2 flutes, oboe, Eng.Hn, Harp and Strings.

Finale 2008a, GPO (notation instruments), NI Audio Kontrol 1
    Mac G5 OS 10.5.1

(You may have to turn up your volume a bit)

http://www.box.net/shared/static/dzstqjlwkg.mp3

sos

Re: "Canope" Debussy Prelude #10, Book II

Very nice, Mr. Steve. You are getting much better with this new-fangled sample stuff.

You are correct. The gain is waaayyyyy low but your rendering work is still enjoyable.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I had to turn up the volume a lot... But well worth the effort. This sis a beautiful piece. Great job with the arrangement/orchestration.
    Trent P. McDonald

Larry, Trent:

Thanks for responding.
    Note: This is not an arrangement but an orchestration of precisely what Debussy wrote.
    How do I record at a higher volume? I am putting in the proper dynamics but it comes out almosr inaudible. Advise please.

sos

Hi Steve. First of all, I'd much, MUCH rather have to turn up a "too soft" file a little than to have an all-out assault on my ears with a much too loud one (which has happened before --ouch!). So, no problem there.

The music itself? Expertly transcribed with a deft touch! Excellent, excellent rendering as well... such a welcome way to ease into Christmas evening after what turned out to be a very hectic day -- this is the only thing I'll have time to listen to, so I definitely got lucky. You and Debussy are a great match!

What is the process you're using to achieve your final mp3 files? Are you creating audio files directly from a notation program? If so, I may be able to guide you in a volume problem-solving direction.

Regardless of the minor volume issue, such a delight! Thanks, Steve!

Danny

Danny:

First, let me thank you for your remarks.

[What is the process you're using to achieve your final mp3 files? Are you creating audio files directly from a notation program? If so, I may be able to guide you in a volume problem-solving direction.]

Yes to your question. I listen to my score with my headphones, tweaking until it sounds close to what I want.
    I make an aiff file with Finale, I then play it through iTunes and turn the aiff into an mp3. I discovered just today that the noise and static I hear through the headphones is not on the aiffs or mp3s. I can do no adjusting once it starts to record. Any help will greatly appreciated.

sos

Being the first piece I am listening after the festivities, I must say it stitches nicely together with my feelings the past few days. Great piece and you did a good job here.

Raymond

Hi, Sos

What gorgeous material to work with! Ditto the compliments already on your thread - it's a sensitive, very well done rendition!

Volume - You weren't kidding about needing to turn the volume up. Even with my Media Player at full blast and the volume knob on my computer speakers also at full blast, it was a very quiet recording.

I'm glad Danny is offering to help you with that technical problem. There's a mixer in Finale - it would seem that its sliders must be barely up at all. All your potential volume controls in your score itself are being squashed - the volume faucet of the mixer isn't letting the sound out. But it looks like Danny will be able to help you out with the specifics.

I'll add that using a dedicated audio file editor like Sound Forge is something I wouldn't be able to live without. So many mastering maneuvers can be accomplished with it, such as volume adjustment etc.

Brief but so satisfying--Beautiful work, Sos!

Randy B.

Raymond62 and Randy:
    Thank you for listening. My first love is arranging but coming in at a very close second, is orchestrating, which is one of the subjects I taught. I wish I had had my Mac and Finale during those years but as Raymond62 has so ably stated, one can barely keep up with the up-dates, up-grades, etc. as it is.
    Randy, tell me more or tell me where I can find out about Sound Forge.

sos

Hello again, Sos

I do hope Danny and/or other Finale users can help you out with the rendering problems. I have never used Finale, so can't be helpful in that area.

But a good sound file, already recorded at a healthy volume is a must before going to the mastering stage - the kind of work you can do in a sound editor like Sound Forge.

Here's the product site which I Googled up for you:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...orgefamily.asp

There are other programs which do the same thing, but SF is still highly regarded for its rock solid stability and sophistication of tools. Something very helpful in Sonar which I use is that SF is available directly inside the sequencer, so I can go back and forth without closing Sonar, tweaking audio files in a project as needed.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast