• Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: "Croydon Down (The Hunt)" - from "DORIAN"

Share/Bookmark

"Croydon Down (The Hunt)" - from "DORIAN"

Croydon Down
    (The Hunt)
    (click title for Camtasia scrolling vocal score
    and scratch vocal demo - please see notes below)

Audio Only MP3 With Vocals

Instrumental MP3 - GPO Only

--the scene

A hunting party is in progress at Dorian's estate in the country, Croydon Down. Dorian has fled there to escape James Vane who has sworn to kill Dorian in revenge for his sister's death.

Dorian's old friend, Lily, has followed so she can do what she can to protect the man she loves.

When the hunting party settles down for a picnic, Lily catches sight of James hiding in the bushes. She points out the spot to Lord Henry who immediately fires his rifle, thinking the fox has been cornered.
    -------------------
    --the files
    I posted the Camtasia scrolling video file first this time, because of the good response on my last thread. The audio track is something I cobbled together just for the Forum, mixing the old vocal demo with the GPO file - and it's far from a pristine recording. There's some distortion, imbalances etc - but it suffices.

The MP3 of the vocal version is for the folks (like me!) who don't have luck making the video work.

And the purely GPO version is there for those who'd like to listen. But I certainly wouldn't expect most people to listen to both. Superior as the GPO instrumental backing track is, it's taking the back seat.

This is a production number with the full chorus and lead characters. It's a dance number, one of the largest in the show. Towards the end when the hunters lose interest in chasing the fox, it shifts into a segment straight out of the Operetta mold. It amuses me to picture the traditional staging called for in that picnic segment. In keeping with the show's style, it will be a fun scene on stage but not without its irony, considering the plight of the main character, Dorian.

NOTES: There are a few brief lines written to be spoken, but notes are indicated on the staves - not to be sung. The notes displayed are totally arbitrary. I couldn't switch to percussion notes on the same staves and didn't want to make the vocal score longer.

The chorus counterpart under Dorian's first verse has been developed more since I made the recording.

The rumbling sound which breaks up at the end is intentional, lest it be heard as a recording error.

Randy B.

Re: "Croydon Down (The Hunt)" - from "DORIAN"

Hi Randy

WOW that really does the job

Beautiful changes in dynamics and timings wth an air of expectancy all the way through. I could almost see the galloping hooves.

I listened to the GPO version and it works wonderfully for me.

About 3/4 of the way through, there is a fantastic big "farty" synth sound (very much like a Moog) what did you use for that?

Excellent work as always Randy

Randy! Bonzerific!

I did listen to both, and was over-the-top impressed, as usual! You did a clever job of incorporating some of the classic "hunting call" motifs vocally and instrumentally without being obvious or pedantic about it; it all fit right in with the stylistic considerations already well-established, very creatively so. Strong chorus parts in this one, too -- a number which wisely takes the audience "off-set" for at least one song in the play. The premise and direction of the song -- really well crafted and executed.

You set the bar so high for yourself with each new post, that I don't see how you can possibly keep achieving the same height with each one, much less surpass it. But you do!

The GPO version is top-notch, too, Randy. Your rendering/realization chops are just great!

So, what's up next in the production timeline? Something's coming up soon, right? Auditions??

With admiration (and a good bit of friendly envy!! ),

Danny

Hey Randy

Hope you had a Good Christmas. I clicked on the GPO only and the first thing I heard was a lion growling and then dogs barking. I had to double check my version of GPO to find barking dogs and growling lions....Guess I have a different version.

This almost sounds like a dance number. Although in real life the fox won't much like it when the music ends.

I really like the Camtasia program. But It makes me want to sing along. As nobody is around, that's okay. The last thing anybody would want to hear is my gravelly off key voice.

I don't think I am off key really, as I doubt if any composer (and I use that word to encompass espiring ones such as myself), could sing off key and be a successful composer.

Another great scene from your magnum opus. My hat is off to you!!!

Hope you have a great New years Eve.

Ron

PS

You spelled 'pretty' wrong on your score. I doubt if it matters, but in case it does, now you know.

Hiya, Paul - We're playing musical Tag in the Listening Room today.

Thanks, buddy! Glad you like this - And it's very cool that you listened to the instrumental version too.

The big "farty" synth sound--hehe---Yeah, it Is very much like a Moog, because it's a free VST emulation of the Mini-Moog mixed with another free VST synth called "Gargoyle" which makes very creepy sounds, perfectly matched to the Halloweeny green Gargoyle GUI it has.

OH BOy---I got you to say BONZER again, Danny---love it.

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response. That was a good observation, how this number takes the show to a very different kind of location than the rest.

The opening scene is in the painter's garden studio, and is a parallel to the story of the Garden of Eden, with Lord Henry being the serpent who tempts Dorian. From there, Dorian is pushed out into the Big Cruel World of London where he falls prey to all sorts of temptations, but he becomes master of that world.

Then here towards the end of Act Two, he's in the unpredictable, untamed outdoors which by its very nature is threatening. Dorian has no control - he's returned to a garden, but a wild one dangerous to his existence.

As foreshadowing of this Fox hunt scene, in Act One, Dorian wears a Fox costume in the masquerade scene.

"...I don't see how you can possibly keep achieving the same height with each one, much less surpass it. But you do!..."

Thank you so much, and as has been the case several times during this year of posting the "Dorian" numbers, I think a word of explanation is again in order.

All these tracks I've been posting have been "in the can" for sometime. There have been some tiny touch ups here and there, some of them recent, but the vast majority of the work was done at the start of 2007. I just wanted to present it in serial form here on the Forum - So don't picture me slaving away and somehow coming up with these recordings in-between my posts. Each number represents a huge amount of time - I work fairly slowly. All told, the tracks have taken me several years to develop to this point.

If I found something that seemed to demand a re-do in the tracks at this point, it would be at least a minor disaster - because my time will now be totally taken up working with the cast.

You asked what's coming up next in the production's time-line--You're right - Auditions are just around the corner, starting January 5th. First rehearsal is January 14th -then it'll be 5 days a week with the cast until we open April 18th! - I'm picturing my posts here at the Forum will be much spottier during that first part of the coming year.

You guys are great - Thank you both!

Randy B.

Listened to the instrumental only and “watched” the vocal version. I find it interesting listening to the bare instruments, but of course the focus is the words and that version is always the best, even if it doesn’t shine technically as much (not that I heard any of the deficiencies you pointed out).

I’ve bumped into quite a few fox while out walking and I’ve never heard any make such a noise as that .

I liked your explanation of Garden of Eden allusions, the fox costume, etc.

Anyway, very well done (as usual).

I imagine there are only a couple of more scenes left? I don’t know the story, so I’m not sure….

BTW - occasionally I hear things in your Dorian posts (particularly those with vocals) that reminds me of Frank Zappa.....
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    All these tracks I've been posting have been "in the can" for sometime. There have been some tiny touch ups here and there, some of them recent, but the vast majority of the work was done at the start of 2007. I just wanted to present it in serial form here on the Forum - So don't picture me slaving away and somehow coming up with these recordings in-between my posts. Each number represents a huge amount of time - I work fairly slowly. All told, the tracks have taken me several years to develop to this point.
    Hey Randy,

I had assumed this, and understand the method of your posting. However, whether offered in some sort of chronological order or totally at random is of no consequence, my remarks most definitely remain the same -- each tune is imbued with the same remarkable level of musical creativity and obvious focus on excellence by its author, regardless of its date of birth and any subsequent cosmetic surgery.

Danny

I figured out that the beginning is a sample of a dog trapped in a big cats body which suffers from schizophrenia and sleep apnea. Right!

Seriously, I listened to the vocal file and the instrumental file twice. I'm getting my ear right down there.

It sounds very right for the scene. The dynamics on this are great also.

I'm always struck by your attention to detail. I'm sure you have been called a perfectionist before. Hopefully a not too neurotic one.

Phil

Howdy, Ronald - I noticed earlier that your reply went up just as I was posting my reply to Paul and Danny - dinner called, I went out, I return, I'm here to say Thank YOu for yet again visiting me and my show and for making me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Hey Randy

Hope you had a Good Christmas. I clicked on the GPO only and the first thing I heard was a lion growling and then dogs barking. I had to double check my version of GPO to find barking dogs and growling lions....Guess I have a different version.
    Hey--You must have defective copy or something. Right there under Percussion, you'll find the Kitchen Sink folder - Dogs, Cats, Laughing Hyenas - the whole howling planet of sound is right there, buddy!--ready for you to orchestrate and MIDI-fy to your heart's content! awhOOOOooooooOOO!
    This almost sounds like a dance number. Although in real life the fox won't much like it when the music ends.
    oh good, it's a relief it "almost" sounds like a dance number--um, 'cause it Is one. And you're right about the Fox of course. Poor lil guy.
    I doubt if any composer (and I use that word to encompass aspiring ones such as myself), could sing off key and be a successful composer.
    That's a good point! How could a composer hum along with what he's working on - and have it be off-key? --Of course in the theatre world, there is a cliche image of the "music guy" sitting at the piano to play his score for prospective producers, and also singing at the first rehearsals of shows he's lucky enough to have sold - and there he is, squeaking and wheezing his way through the music--pretty much on key--but oh man, the vocal quality--Yikes.

Another great scene from your magnum opus. My hat is off to you!!!
    Thanks much for this reply, Ron, and for the last one where you said you actually got "creeped out" - and--well, dang--for ALL your replies to the "Dorian" posts. It does me good to know that you and some other folks are being entertained by all this. I kind of Wrote it for an audience--and you guys are among the first audience, so it's a very important step for me and the show. Thank you!

Randy B.

Awesome four-part writing for the chorus... check.

Amusing juxtaposition of "day so satisfactory" and "day of fear and treachery"...check.

Anticipation of seeing Henry (amusingly) and Dorian (awkwardly) dressed in hunting gear...check.

Yup, it's all there.

-Chris Plorán
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast